2016 Highland Trail route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Re: 2016 Highland Trail route.

Post by Justchris »

Just logged on to look this one up. This year so far there have been 367 confirmed cases of Giardia in Scotland. But most of these have been diagnosed by vet hospital in Edinburgh. So I can't tell what the split is between human and animals. Wild, agricultural and domestic animals. But it does seem rare.
I drink untreated water, but use chlorine tabs when there is a slight doubt. I do get extremely picky about where I drink from. Fast flowing, not down hill from an area I cannot see.
Preferably from a source where I can see at least 150 yards uphill or the summit.

Giardia is not common but cropto.s is. So you still have to be very mindful.

I would be much more mindful of ticks. More cases of serious infections from ticks than water borne.
trail717

Post by trail717 »

Ian wrote:
trail717 wrote:
Ian wrote:If you do stop at Contin for resupply, I can confirm they don't do warm pies (or cold ones, for that matter). And don't have the tuna sandwich :roll:
humm, a warm (or cold) 'pie' in this context is?
You know, pastry casing filled with meat and vegetables in gravy. Steak and onion, steak and kidney, chicken and mushroom - that sort of thing. Not to be confused with a pastie though - pasties are different ;)

In case you've not come across it, there's a fairly detailed write up on my blog: http://www.ianbarrington.com

I also shot some video of my 2014 attempt which will give you a clue as to what some of the course is like: http://www.vimeo.com/ianbarrington

The Strath na Selga is known generally as the Fisherfield (River) Crossing. The whole Fisherfield section from Dundonnel to Kinlochewe is considered the crux of the route, not just for the river crossing, but just general remoteness and "severity" of riding. It is a wonderful place though - not scary if properly equipped.
Ian, thanks for the 2014 links, I will be studying them closely. I see from the start list you are down for 2015, what is the 1 main thing you will do different in 2016?

We have a fast food version of meat pies here in the US, they are a frozen item commonly called 'pot pies' because they come in a little pot like container. And of course you can buy meat pies at many restaurants. But it sounds like they are much more common in Scotland, I looked at 'images' on google and am hungry just looking at them. My question about 'pies' is one of convenience for a racer, I gather they are many times pre-made and ready to heat up? Or pre-cooked and can be taken and eaten cold? In other words if I ask for a hot pie at a local cafe the wait wouldn't be very long and if I asked for a cold one it would be just handed to me? Do they lend themselves to carrying in a pack for a few hours or will they need to be consumed immediately?

ditto on being properly equipped for the conditions--I am looking forward to the remote sections of the route, many of the pictures, comments (and videos like yours) where a big part of my initial draw to this event
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's slightly confusing in that some pies are pre-cooked and packaged, some are pre-cooked, some require reheating and some require cooking! It partly depends on the filling - pork pies can be all of these for example.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:It's slightly confusing in that some pies are pre-cooked and packaged, some are pre-cooked, some require reheating and some require cooking! It partly depends on the filling - pork pies can be all of these for example.
All true but it's worth pointing out the in Northern England and Scotland it's very easy to buy pies which are ready to eat (either usually, but not always, kept warm after being cooked - steak, meat and potato, or always served cold - pork pie)

You can usually get warm pies from a chip shop too. Often these will be mass produced and microwave reheated to order. They are ok but a good quality meat pie from a butcher or local shop can be one of the best things to eat in the world!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Transformation from cold our to hot pie is less than two mins in a microwave.

Anything like a Ginsters pastie (like a pie, but without a foil tray) can be eaten straight from packet.

There is a dedicated Pie Show in Lochinver, which is a must for most racers. In terms of shelf life, they will keep overnight. However, I think it was Phil Simcock who bought two at Lochinver and told the owner one was for breakfast the next morning - he received a strange look and the guy seemed reluctant to sell him the second one!

What is the one thing I'll do differently in 2016 compared to 2014? Get to the finish would be ideal ;) not least so 2013 didn't look like a fluke!
Seriously though - address the areas I was defective in last time, which will require more core body work and more trail running to strengthen joints, ligaments and tendons that don't necessarily get exercised just riding the bike.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Micro waved pie.........yuk, the pastry goes all soft!

Don't forget Scotland does macaroni cheese pie's too, yummy :-bd .
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:What is the one thing I'll do differently in 2016 compared to 2014? Get to the finish would be ideal ;) not least so 2013 didn't look like a fluke!
Seriously though - address the areas I was defective in last time, which will require more core body work and more trail running to strengthen joints, ligaments and tendons that don't necessarily get exercised just riding the bike.
I think that's a very crucial point. After the inaugural HTR quite a few suffered from inflamed achilles tendons. Mine where fine and I wouldn't be surprised if it was down to the terrain I live in, which requires a lot of hike-a-bike. Even though Alan has cut down on some of those sections for 2016 and given one's a technically capable rider, there's still a fair amount of pushing involved. When you're pushing your bike up a mountain, you're surely putting in some upper body work too. Deep snow and a loaded fat bike comes in handy here :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote: not least so 2013 didn't look like a fluke!
Now you say it... you must have been lucky then... :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

or always served cold - pork pie
You what ?!???!?!?

Pie, peas and mint sauce would be a bit poor if I followed your serving suggestions (cold!) :wink:

I have nothing to add to all this racing blather. I subscribe to Churchill's outlook "bikepacking races, a waste of a good ride" (tongue-in-cheek, just can't be bothered with "races" of any form, HYOH etc :cool:)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Alpinum wrote:
Let's be fair - quite a few of us were lucky to get to the end. Not being able to sit for the last 4 hours and then having numb gentleman parts for two weeks was not the point where I was thinking "i'm going to finish". That was stupidly after day two,and before Fisherfield. Oh how we laughed. Ha. Flipping. Ha.

Fun times.

Words here for those with a Singletrack membership:
Part 1: http://singletrackworld.com/2013/07/the ... en-so-fun/
Part 2: http://singletrackworld.com/2013/07/the ... -fun-just/

Other waffle by me here: http://www.gregorymay.ie/?p=1830
touch

Post by touch »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
You what ?!???!?!?

Pie, peas and mint sauce would be a bit poor if I followed your serving suggestions (cold!) :wink:
No, no. You're thinking of the wrong type of pie!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A Pie FAQ for our transatlantic guests

Fruit pie: yes, we have them too. Apple is a favourite and might be in short crust or flaky.

Scotch pie: no, they don't have whisky in them. Should be mutton (sheep).

Mud pie: just mud. Nothing like the mississippi variant.

Fish pie: it's not even pie. It's usually fishy bits in a white concoction topped with mashed potato.

Furry pie: Can sometimes be a bit fishy. Most likely to be on the menu in Dingwall.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about pie butties? Nice meat and potato or beef and onion, wedged inside a big old oven bottom muffin ... now yer talking :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:How about pie butties? Nice meat and potato or beef and onion, wedged inside a big old oven bottom muffin ... now yer talking :-bd
Oven bottom muffin? It's the HIGHLAND TRAIL we're talking aboot here laddie. We'll hae none o' yon mucky foreign stuff in this thread!
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

And never mistake your mince pies with mince and onion :lol:

We even have lasagne pies and haggis and neap pies here :???:

Maybe not mention the wild haggis...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpinum wrote:
I'd like to think that sitting in the cafe at Kinlochlewe and thinking, "right I'll go straight through to the finish from here, it's only 200 miles", and then pulling it off, required more than just luck :grin:
Last edited by Ian on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

touch wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
You what ?!???!?!?

No, no. You're thinking of the wrong type of pie!
Au contraire

:cool:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Marshal - don't listen to any of them - mushy peas are the work of the devil, stay well clear!
Last edited by Ian on Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ignore Ian Marshall. Mushy peas are as good as gels. You can carry them in sausage skins for the ideal snack when on the move.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I imagine that by now marshal has worked out the 'tremendous regional diversity' that exists within the UK particular relating to food!

And I like mushy peas but with a meat pie not pork pie. Wrong wrong wrong.

:wink:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Fish and chips is a fish super and if they grunt 'susweetha' just say no.
I didnt understand and just smiled and said yes and my fish and chips got covered in brown sauce. :o
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I imagine that by now marshal has worked out the 'tremendous regional diversity' that exists within the UK particular relating to food!
Is it time for us to start on the subject of gravy yet?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'm perfectly happy to discuss gravy. So long as you are not planning to put it anywhere near chips*

*that should continue the debate nicely :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
If it's in relation to its universal acceptance as an accompaniment over various roast meats, yes. If you're contemplating pouring over a portion of chips (or fries), then no ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it's in relation to its universal acceptance as an accompaniment over various roast meats, yes. If you're contemplating pouring over a portion of chips (or fries), then no
It's good on fish too :-bd