Recommend a carbon 29er frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Recommend a carbon 29er frame

Post by Karl »

Looking for some recommendations for a 29er carbon frame for bikepacking and ITT events.
johnnystorm

Re: Recommend a carbon 29er frame

Post by johnnystorm »

I only retired my On One Lurcher as I wanted to try Titanium. Can I interest you in a Large frame with a BB and Hope headset? :wink:
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

johnnystorm wrote:I only retired my On One Lurcher as I wanted to try Titanium. Can I interest you in a Large frame with a BB and Hope headset? :wink:
That's what I would recommend. Lurcher. Hits all three buttons. Cheap, light and strong. So cheap i almost see them as disposal. you can get better quality if you spend a grand and a bit. But if you have a really bad crash or a nasty bit of delamination. Chuck it away and get another. As that's cheaper than getting a carbon weave added.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks for the offer but I would need a medium.

I've heard that the lurcher is a bit too stiff. I'm coming from a pinnacle ramin 1 which is beautifully compliant. The only reason I'm wanting a change is due to some cable rubs that have occurred due to me not protecting the frame adequately. The cable rubs are pretty deep due to the frame being ali and feel that change before next season would bee a wise move.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I would recommend not buying a Radon frame as they are garbage and the parent German company will not sort you out when it fails.
Both my carbon MTB frames have failed, including an expensive big brand, so if you are set on a HT I would also suggest you buy a disposable frame from On One (or similar) when they are on special offer.
I am now enjoying my Alu Salsa FS, and for the sake of 200g and about triple the price I would not entertain the thought of upgrading to the carbon version.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

KBRPro wrote:Thanks for the offer but I would need a medium.

I've heard that the lurcher is a bit too stiff. I'm coming from a pinnacle ramin 1 which is beautifully compliant. The only reason I'm wanting a change is due to some cable rubs that have occurred due to me not protecting the frame adequately. The cable rubs are pretty deep due to the frame being ali and feel that change before next season would bee a wise move.
I stopped using my Spearfish as the Lurcher felt just as comfy. I've done Ian's Welsh coast to coast on it and the Bontrager 24hr/BB200.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you fancy Ti, I'm selling my Burls.....
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I have seen a write up or two about lurchers being stiff and dead etc. I don't think that at all. Remember write ups and reviews tend to be very subjective. And it is the opinion of the writer. So always take it with a pinch of salt.
My previous frame was a highly rated steel frame and yes it felt nicer to ride as steel does but it wasn't more or less comfortable. it was 1.5kg heavier. Which was a compromise I felt was completely unjustifiable for long distance rides.
gairym

Post by gairym »

johnnystorm wrote:I only retired my On One Lurcher as I wanted to try Titanium. Can I interest you in a Large frame with a BB and Hope headset? :wink:
I might be interested in this.

How much you hoping to get for it?

Maybe PM me with a price and some photos of you've got any.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Take a look at this:

Link

Cheap, medium and carbon.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Karl,

I used to ride a scott scale CF jobbie. It rode very nicely. I have also tried a carbon hardtail from Canyon which rode comparably.

The price of canyon full bikes is the way to get value though as I'm not sure if they always do a frame of each one.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/grand- ... f-5-9.html

Not keen on on-one / planet X re-branded frames personally.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Those canyons look very very good value. Xt and slx through out. If I was looking for a complete bike I would definitely consider this.
But do you really think the frame will be better quality than an on ones. Unless you pay 2k plus for a hand wrapped top carbon frame it will be a simple manufactured stock frame.

As ht frames have no moving parts a decent fork, wheels and groupset, with a well fitted seat and controls will make far more of a difference to the characteristics of the bike. Rather than comparing two similar ht frames. It amazes me how many people buy a high spec expensive lightweight cross country frame and have heavy enduro type wheels. I would rather have an ok frame a great set of wheels and forks.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Justchris wrote:But do you really think the frame will be better quality than an on ones
Yep. I think it is far more likely to have been designed by an engineer rather than picked off the shelf of what's on offer and then a minor aesthetic change made. I also think canyon have a test dept with rigs etc to validate for themselves what they are selling. They also have a CT scanner to check frames.
Justchris wrote:As ht frames have no moving parts a decent fork, wheels and groupset, with a well fitted seat and controls will make far more of a difference to the characteristics of the bike. Rather than comparing two similar ht frames. It amazes me how many people buy a high spec expensive lightweight cross country frame and have heavy enduro type wheels. I would rather have an ok frame a great set of wheels and forks.
Tube characteristics make a huge difference to how a bike handles. Otherwise we'd all be riding Alu frames. A designer can influence many aspects of a bike ride with frame design if he/she knows what's what.

(Not to mention how ugly the on one frames are)
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I will give you they are ugly!!!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I have been toying with the canyon for a while then felt the saving of buying just a frame and fork was justified but it is still a difficult decision. Also with the saving of not buying a complete bike I could then maybe look at getting the Canyon Dude (fatbike) as an add on to look at doing some winter races in Europe and the US.

My ideal frame would be the geometry and give of the Ramin 1 in a lighter material and a carbon fork. I have either thought about just getting a Ramin 1 frame again but not sure if I could just buy one from Pinnacle, maybe I'll look down that route as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My ideal frame would be the geometry and give of the Ramin 1 in a lighter material and a carbon fork. I have either thought about just getting a Ramin 1 frame again but not sure if I could just buy one from Pinnacle, maybe I'll look down that route as well.
They were listed on the website the other week. Maybe a quick email to Jameso?
May the bridges you burn light your way
MidgeMagnet

Post by MidgeMagnet »

The new on one maccatuskil 29er might be one to keep an eye on, lighter than the lurcher, more expensive but I would bet they come down to a more reasonable price soon.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOMAC/on- ... 29er-frame

Bit new to have any reviews it seems
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I just rode Jim Barrow's new TI Travers today. It's an amazing bike, really worth checking out. It felt very light to me and I own a pretty light Ti bike myself.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I love my Stumpjumper 2014 Lg. It is stiff but not to stiff. Running 1 x 10 and weighs 18 Lbs so reasonably happy with that. I will try and borrow a Maccatuskil soon and compare.

Paul
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

MidgeMagnet wrote:The new on one maccatuskil 29er might be one to keep an eye on, lighter than the lurcher, more expensive but I would bet they come down to a more reasonable price soon.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOMAC/on- ... 29er-frame

Bit new to have any reviews it seems
When I feel like it's time to retire my Lurcher this will be high on the list because if the Lurcher is anything to go by then the maccatuskil will be a damn good ride !
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I'll admit to having looked in this area recently. I'm spending a bit of time on a forum dedicated to getting one yourself from China:

http://chinertown.com/index.php/board,8.0.html

Not sure though. I've had good experience buying Light Bicycle carbon rims for my 29er direct from China. Still mulling over a frame. There seems to be quite a few in the 250 to 400 quid range <1200g and some with familiar geometry (e.g. almost identical numbers to Scott Scale).

Having previously test ridden lots of bike when I'm looking to buy it make me a little nervous though. Mind you, last time I still ended up buying one I hadn't ridden!

Would be really keen on feedback from anyone that's done any bikepacking on these. I've been using my 456 Carbon the last couple of times I've been out so not found any issues with carbon and bags rubbing that helitape didn't solve.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I keep looking at the Chinese frames but cant decide if its worths taking a stab. Riding long distances needs reliability but not sure it's I'll get it with the Chinese stuff. Like flv said at least canyon test there frames. The misses got a grand canyon ali frame and loves it. I do want a canyon dude carbon fatbike as well so Mobey saved on a frame can be put to that :-)

I've been in touch with jameso and he's checking if there are any spare frames for sale so May end up replacing like for like.....the pinnacle ramin 1 is an vaguely exciting bike by all accounts......so I'm still no clearer which way to go :-D
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I have a Pivot Les. Great geometry for long distances, light and can go geared or single speed. All quality.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

KamelTrek wrote:I have a Pivot Les.
I love the name of that. Took me a few weeks before it twigged! :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »