Sleeping Bag Advice..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wotsits

Sleeping Bag Advice..

Post by Wotsits »

I've been tempted by a Minim 500 in the PHD sale, It says -10 rating, but is this the comfort, lower limit or extreme value??
Do the more enlightened of you who know me think i'll fit in a standard length & width bag ok? (i'm 6ft)
If i'm going for a zip, is a short zip ok or should i go for a full length one??

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-500-do ... up9iq4b160

I've already got a Marmot Hydrogen which has served me very well over the last couple of years, in all seasons with the addition of a liner & clothes, but i have felt a bit cold in it a couple of times, especially my ass when i'm on my side in a bivi bag! Basically this bag is not really up to it when the temp starts to head towards freezing..

http://marmot.com/products/details/hydrogen-new

Thanks in advance for any advice :ugeek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
whitestone

Re: Sleeping Bag Advice..

Post by whitestone »

I've a PHD Minim 200 which is rated to +5C which seems about right - I'm a warm sleeper. I'm 5'11" and fairly chunky and fit OK so you should be OK. Can't help you on the zip front.

Also consider your sleeping mat - a good mat (high R-value) will make your bag act warmer than its given temperature rating as will a bivvy bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks Whitstone

I forgot to add- i've got an Exped Synmat UL which i never felt was lacking, would like a Downmat UL, but thought i'd look at a bag first..
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've used a minim ultra and a 300g fill bag from PhD. Both seem able to keep me comfy at the temps they are meant too.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I've used a couple of phd bags and have always been impressed with them. I find the temperature ratings err on the cautious side as they have always given a good nights sleep at temperatures lower than suggested for me.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Jase

I bought one of those last year in there sale. Great bit of kit. Sometimes a bit too warm if the temperatures don't drop enough.

If you're at the winter Bivi you're welcome to try for size?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks all..

Chew- Thanks pal, I'll have a look at yours for size, etc if that's ok..
Although would you say that a minim -5 rated bag would be more suitable? I don't think i've been out in anything lower temp wise & i get the impression that their ratings are quite conservative? Plus i'm a fairly warm sleeper.. They're not in the sale though, which may change things :cry:
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I find PHD's ratings spot on temp wise. i find that a 1/2 zip bag is useable in temps 10°c warmer than rated and above that it gets too warm. So for mild winter use have a -5°c rated bag ( no zip and drishell outer to cope better with condensation) Then i have a 2°c rated quilt for summer. Quilts have a higher upper temp range than bags so that works well. A sleeping mat with a high r value is a winter necessity. PHD's next sale will probably have the rating you need if this one doesn't. I'm 6' and 80 kg and fit a std PHD bag fine.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ditto. I find PHD ratings are real-world rather than limit. Really glad I got one this year. Most expensive bikepacking kit I have but also the best value for money
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks again chaps.. :cool:

Mark, that's great info about the zip, just what i wanted to know.
I'm a bit heavier than you at ~95kg, but hope i'll still fit a standard bag..

Sounds like i'll have to be at the ready with my cash to pounce at the next sale! :grin: