Culra Bothy Trip

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

Culra Bothy Trip

Post by Gari »

So I finally got out overnight on my Singular, built as a bikepacker/adventure bike(delete to taste!)
Started at the cafe in Dalwhinnie, just a short drive down the road from me, the plan was to cycle up the track along the Loch and drop down into the bothy via the path that runs under Ben Alder.
packed and ready to go.
The weather was pretty good the first day, plenty of sunshine and not too cold, little wind so a good day all told. Got to the bothy around late afternoon/early evening. No one in residence so had the place/s to myself, someone had even left some wood behind.
bothy entrance
The snow level was pretty high, though snow overnight had it just above the path on the return trip.
A quick hop over the bridge and back round to Dalwhinnie, when I got back around midday the owner offered to make breakfast if I wanted one as they were pretty quiet, which is of course the perfect way to end an overnighter.
Gari

Re: Culra Bothy Trip

Post by Gari »

as i couldn't get the photos to upload in the first post here they are instead. Sorry

Day one

Day two
For anyone who has not been into Culra it is well worth the trip, it is in fact 3 bothies in one, in something of a T shape. Very well kept by the estate and MBA.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'm liking that, trip, photo's and the bike looks lovely. Can you tell me what gearing your running on it?
gairym

Post by gairym »

i am also really liking the look of your bike (and trip - don't get me wrong).
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks guys, @Ray, the gearing is currently 32-20 with an Alfine8 hub, though I have just bought a 22 for the back. It's fine for most stuff but I find long inclines(x Km) quite unpleasant when loaded.
I am confident that you could get around to Loch Ossian from here, and so on to Fort Bill etc. A long route through here, joining the WHW and then back up via Loch Ossian etc back to Dalwhinnie would make a great trip, 5-6 days at least.... Anyone fancy it?
The bike is a Singular Hummingbird, very happy with it so far, does just what it says on the tin.