Scotland SE Winter Bothy, Now Sat 12.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Scotland SE Winter Bothy, Sat 5 Dec.

Post by Ray Young »

Yes Markus is away around the world, lucky bugger.

I have emailed "coastkid" who does a lot of riding in the area according to his blog so hopefully he may know.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Footering around on google maps and asking people who know better, the area is hoaching in old hill forts - if you want to find g̶h̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶s̶e̶s̶ some interesting bivvy places there's a couple just on the way to the bothy!
http://canmore.org.uk/site/56057/west-addinston-hill
http://canmore.org.uk/site/56047/longcroft

This bothy night sounds pretty cool - I have family in Earlston which is down the road a wee bit - will go and have a look see/investigate soon and see the size of the place :)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Bunny's is a hunting lodge I believe. Paul Errington said there was beer there when he passed through. Contact the estate?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Right then, Bunny's Bothy. I paid a visit last night via the Capital Trail and it looks like a bothy, feels like a bothy and has a sign on it saying Bunny's Bothy, so god damn it, it is a bothy, not a hunting lodge. I have now used it twice to stay in and passed it once on the Capital Trail and it's never been locked. Not a lot of wood in it last night but enough for a carefully tended fire and some left over. I will definately have to make a coal drop for the 5th. Someone (probably a regular user) had left 1/2 dozen cans of beer and a FULL :shock: bottle of Bells Whisky. I resisted both but only because I had carried a bottle of red wine there (decanted into a plastic bottle) and I was buggered if I was going to carry it all the way home again. I had a very merry night to myself with a wee fire, red wine and some tunes, thanks for the heads up on the Xmini speaker Stu, amazing for it's size. An uneventful ride until I hit The Lammermuir Hills when mist forced me to adjust my light to about eight feet in front of me so slowing me down a fair bit, normal adjustment just had the light being reflected straight back off the mist. On leaving this morning I was held up for twenty minutes by a grouse shoot, they where shooting over the track i was on so I just hung back until they stopped. I knew they had stopped because the beaters came down of the hillside to join the shooters. They were all very friendly but I did notice that all the beaters had broad Scottish accents whilst the shooters, well, they all appeared to be English.

Wonder how much it costs to build something like this from scratch and who decided to do it?

ImageBunny's 004 by youngray50, on Flickr

ImageBunny's 005 by youngray50, on Flickr

Plenty of room inside, the tables and chairs are new since my last visit.

ImageBunny's 006 by youngray50, on Flickr

ImageBunny's 008 by youngray50, on Flickr
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

did you really sleep on the table?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessnative wrote:did you really sleep on the table?
Yes, I thought it would be warmer than the concrete floor. There is a small bench attached to a wall but it is very narrow.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have been reminded that it is probably not such a good idea to give coordinates for non mba bothies on the internet so I have removed it. If you plan on coming then PM me and I will send out details. Thanks.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Those cans and whisky were in there way back a week before the CT when I popped in for a nosey
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Aye - Boddingtons it was and went out of date in September
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

rudedog wrote:Aye - Boddingtons it was and went out of date in September
Bet it still tastes fine :wink: .
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

It did :wink:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I'm in i think.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I might be along as I need to get some decent mileage in on the fat bike.

One point to note - on the CT I, and several others I hear, had bottom problems soon after finishing the race, which suggests the water supply may not be good.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi all, I am planning on doing a coal drop this Sunday. I may stay overnight but undecided as yet.

The plan is still to meet in Lauder at the Black Bull pub on Sat 5 Dec 5.30-6.00 for a 7.00 depart on an easy 8 mile ride to the bothy. There are four fords to cross on the way to the bothy so bring dry socks. You can of course do a harder route by cycling to the pub or meet at the bothy by a route of your own choosing.
Email me at youngray50ATgmailDOTcom for the bothy location and route gpx's. Proposed return routes are 20, 26 or 30 miles.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Due to a clash I now have to go through to Glasgow on the Saturday, I may / may not make it back to Lauder in time :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ray I might be along as well. I fancy a longer ride Saturday AM if anyone else is up for it
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Dave Barter wrote:Ray I might be along as well. I fancy a longer ride Saturday AM if anyone else is up for it
Well, funny you should mention that...

I'm considering riding from mine (West Edinburgh) to the bothy via an abridged anti-clockwise Capital Trail. About 60 to 80 miles depending if I extend it beyond Lauder on the Southern Upland Way. Pace will be horribly slow as I'll be on the fat bike.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

So who's coming?
Dave, did you get anything arranged?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The opposite Barney. I broke my bike and I'm afraid I am out.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm in. I had a 'moment' yesterday when I worried I wouldn't get my bike fixed in time but it's all sorted.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Was wondering if the short ride in distance was putting people off as it can easily be extended or do people have other commitments etc?
Alasdair, are you meeting at the pub or riding straight to the Bothy?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm going to ride straight for the bothy I think. If I happen to be in Lauder around when you're meeting, I'll pop in, but I don't know how long my route will take.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I'm in. Heading straight to the bothy from Edinburgh via the CT route. That won't be too exciting but I also have roadie miles to do that morning with my club. Weather depending, might return via Peebles>Pentlands
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, love cycling and camping and I've been looking at getting into bike packing for a while now. I would have loved to join you but saturday is my birthday so I'm being dragged to Edinburgh for the day by the other half!

I might have a crack at heading to bunnys down the capital trail the following weekend. Is it ok to access it any time?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well, that's the coal drop done. Good job too as all the wood has been used. Still three cans of beer there but the litre bottle of whisky is gone and no, it wasn't me who drank it. I'll need to take in some kindling and Coleman fuel for the hurricane lamp though.
Blair512 wrote: Is it ok to access it any time?
I have used four times now and it's always been unlocked. Happy birthday for next Saturday, we shall drink a toast to you.