Dangerous Dogs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Dangerous Dogs

Post by ericrobo »

I was out the mountain bike yesterday doing a long ride, and as I went down the track I saw a man crouching who, when he saw me, asked me to stop, which I did.
He was about 50 yards away.
As soon as I stopped two big black doberman dogs came running towards me, barking furiously.

I used the bike as a shield for protection otherwise I think they would have got me, and fortunately at my back was a wooden seat, which gave me a bit of protection.

I shouted to the man several times to get them on the lead, all he could do was to say " they won't bite", :mrgreen: but he did not come to my aid and get hold of them,
This 'tussle' went on for about 45 seconds which is a long time I can tell you.
When they finally went back to him they were still barking and one was frothing at the mouth...

And then "you had better get going because I'm going to let them loose again"

I reported this to the Police who were very sympathetic, but can't do anything because he can't be identified.

I'm riding that way again this afternoon, and I will have protection with me... and I'll use it if I have to.

I ride off road to avoid being finished off by a car... how sad to be finished off by dangerous dogs !!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dangerous Dogs

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do have sympathy but I also think there's a big difference between barking and dangerous. Nearly all the farm dogs I've ever met will bark at a bike and some will run alongside and it may even appear that they're going to bite you ... but they generally don't. Barking doesn't always indicate aggression, in fact it's just as likely to mean that the dog's scared of you.

Frothing at the mouth is more an indication that the dog was excited and / or out of breath, not rabid, so again no indicator as to the dogs intention.

However, the comment about letting them go again does make me think the owner was a nob with little regard for others
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Many years ago I had a copy of Richards Bicycle Book which had a fascinating chapter on how to kill a dog if it actually attacked you.
I notice that in the US they have bear spray are we allowed anything in this country?
Do dog whistles do any good?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote:Many years ago I had a copy of Richards Bicycle Book which had a fascinating chapter on how to kill a dog if it actually attacked you.
I notice that in the US they have bear spray are we allowed anything in this country?
lemon spray, or a mate who isn't as fast as you :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Farm dogs I've had do it a lot. For some reason I've noticed that if I hold my hand out as they're running towards me (flat palm) and tell them to shut up, they calm down. No idea if that's related to something that's done for herding, but it seems to work most of the time. Go all Alpha Dog on them. :lol:

The worst are the stupid little yappy b*st*rds that people have on the canal paths etc. I've tried explaining to some owners that I'd barely notice if one of them went in / under my wheel but they still seem happy enough not to get a handle on them. I guess the solution to those is a fat bike. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh lord, not the "dangerous dog debate" :lol:

You might guess what I might say to this appearing "over here" ........ :wink:

:cool:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've kicked dogs in the past, which is a shame as it's normal the owners that need a kick :roll: Only had to do this when I've been out with my own dog though and they won't leave her alone.

Only once had a problem on my bike when an owner deliberately let his dog chase after me but thought it was wise not to say too much as it was a quiet lane and no one else around. Wished I got his number plate. Had plenty jump up at me but all seem over excited to be honest
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might guess what I might say to this appearing "over here" ........ :wink:
In scouse accent ... calm down, calm down, it's not STW :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote:
Mariner wrote:Many years ago I had a copy of Richards Bicycle Book which had a fascinating chapter on how to kill a dog if it actually attacked you.
lemon spray, or a mate who isn't as fast as you :lol:
Shouting No can work, most (?) dog owners will use this as a command.

Often say no to my daughter when she's exploring things and seeing what she can and can't do, really annoys my dog as she comes up then thinking she's done something wrong too :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The last time a dog approached me "aggressively" was when I was out on my road bike and near the top of a long hill and it came racing out at me. I just shouted "lie down!" at it and it backed off. I do know the difference between excitement and aggression in dogs having grown up on a farm and this was towards the aggressive end of the scale. This particular dog had bitten my wife a month or two previously as she'd ridden past so it definitely gets wound up by bikes.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Most farm dogs round here only speak Welsh :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bare your teeth and growl in their face, freaks out the dog as well as the owner : )

(been bitten properly a couple of times locally .. farmyard Collies are the ones to watch!)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:Most farm dogs round here only speak Welsh :???:
That's not a problem - I can whistle in Welsh :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Got chased through a farm yard by a herd of geese once, buggers didn't stop chasing till I was well out of their domain.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Geese are easy - hold your hand towards them with your fingers and thumb together in a sort of beak like way. They'll think its a really big goose and bugger off. No joke - a mate has geese and they are right barstards but this works every time.

I owe a lot of my early fitness to a colley who lived up at some farm cottages that were on my paper round. It used to lay in wait and launch itself at me just as I was picking my bike up and getting ready to ride off. Had leap on the bike and pedal like crazy to get away from it!
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Back from this afternoon's ride,same way as yesterday, and I did NOT see the nobhead with the two out of control Dobermans...

I was actually looking forward to seeing him again because if I do I'll shop the bugger.

Today I felt quite confident - I was very well prepared.... ahem :lol:

I had chats with several (responsible) dog walkers who go that way a lot, and they are very concerned about what could happen to their dogs, so everybody is on the lookout for this guy.

And Cheeky Monkey
"Oh lord, not the "dangerous dog debate" :lol:"

You do not HAVE to read every post, get a life and read what interests you.

I had a bloody awful experience yesterday and want to share it with others - it could scare people from using their bikes...

Stuart, I'm not so much bothered about farm dogs (even the ones who can't speak English) or even a big bad dog if there's only one..

But two Dobermans coming at you trying to get you (and the owner would not come in and handle them, he was probably afraid of getting bitten) that scared the sh1t out of me...

As I say I'm fine now, and will be - I am prepared... :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ericrobo wrote:
And Cheeky Monkey
"Oh lord, not the "dangerous dog debate" :lol:"

You do not HAVE to read every post, get a life and read what interests you.
:lol:

Calm down poppet, its only the internet. :wink: :cool: :lol: :cool: :wink: :roll: