Monkii Clips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Monkii Clips

Post by Teetosugars »

Anyone any real world reviews?
Thinking of getting a frame bag for my Krampus so need to be able to carry bottles somewhere, and these look like they'd be ok on the forks?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Monkii Clips

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Standard forks on the Krampus?

If so, I don't think they'll play well with the tapered steel legs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Used them to carry one litre lifeventure flasks, had to change the straps add the Velcro straps supplied didn't go slim enough. Other than that, a great, secure system

Edit, opps, mine are the gorilla cages
Last edited by voodoo_simon on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I bought one, earlier this year, for use on a 3 day 'credit card touring' trip.

The bottle ejected on the first rough track that I encountered (about 15 miles into the trip) and was duly recovered from the grass verge and re-inserted.

I put this down to operator error, as there was not repeat of the incident, despite later encountering 8 miles of pretty rooty canal towpath, a very high speed traversal of Swinley forest, the cobbled streets of Guildford and what seemed like an eternity of rumbly Downs Link.

The aforementioned incident was more related to the Monkii cage, than the Monkii clip, so a quick word about that...

There are two sizes of Monkii clip, one for use on fork tubes between 25 & 38 mm (suitable for suspension forks) and one for tubes of about 32mm (Specifically designed for the Strida bike) - I have the 25-38mm size, fitted to RockShox forks.

When I first opened the box, I initially thought that the clamp and bolt would interfere with the spokes, but it turns out that it's best fitted rotated slightly to the rear of the fork anyway, so interference isn't a factor.

Whilst riding along, you simply don't notice that it's there.

Excellent solution to the loss of one or more bottle holders that occurs when you fit a frame bag.

I'm thinking about getting a Gorilla cage now, to give me more options for proper bikepacking, but am a little wary of using the 3 boss Gorilla cage with a 2 boss Monkii Clip (The Gorilla Cage is intend for use with forks that have 3 bosses built in - maybe Parable designs are working on a 'Gorilla Clip'?)

Anybody else use a Gorilla cage with a Monkii Clip.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Best picture I can find with the sea to summit straps
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Parable didn't actually design the Gorilla to work with 3 mounts. They designed it with a high / low 2 postion mount ... just so happens that the 3 mounts are the same centres as Anything cage mounts. :-bd

If anyone can be bothered to read any of the poor show I type, this might prove useful: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... eview.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
jBay

Post by jBay »

I have two Monkii Clips available if you're after some.
1 used
1 New

Used in a shock fork but now using rigid with the bolt holes
Last edited by jBay on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I bought a load for going to Iceland but found the clips didn't work well with a rockshox revelation. Sold them on here shortly after.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Standard forks on the Krampus?

If so, I don't think they'll play well with the tapered steel legs.
Yeah, standard..
Ah well, new forks then I guess.