Dynamo Hub options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kiwiride

Dynamo Hub options

Post by Kiwiride »

Hi All,

Looking at either the supernova infinity s or the sp8.

Ideally this will run both F and R lights and will look to add top cap usb charger, either the 'plug' or 'cycle to charge'

Any suggestions recommendations are appreciated . :-bd
johnnystorm

Re: Dynamo Hub options

Post by johnnystorm »

Kiwiride wrote:Hi All,

Looking at either the supernova infinity s or the sp8.

Ideally this will run both F and R lights and will look to add top cap usb charger, either the 'plug' or 'cycle to charge'

Any suggestions recommendations are appreciated . :-bd
I only have experience of the SP but I ordered it just after BB200 2013 and have probably done 5-6k miles on it since then. It happily runs the Revo/Redeye light combo and with the C2C top cap I can leave my phone running Google maps phone navigation AND the lights and it keeps the phone topped up. Unless you actually stop or are really going slowly you don't get too many "removed from power" messages. Unless there is a setting on my Garmin 810 without a buffer battery it can be frustrating in stop-start commuting, on a long cruisy run you'd probably not notice.
Kiwiride

Post by Kiwiride »

Great thanks! From further reading I think both dynamos run the same internals, personally I like the supernova light system,all be it more expensive.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'll be using a Schmidt SON 28 for the BB200. Only fitted last night, but first impressions around the local lanes are its smoother than a SP, and delivers more output at lower speeds. Can give you more of a report on Monday.
Kiwiride

Post by Kiwiride »

Ian wrote:I'll be using a Schmidt SON 28 for the BB200. Only fitted last night, but first impressions around the local lanes are its smoother than a SP, and delivers more output at lower speeds. Can give you more of a report on Monday.
Great thanks! All the best for the weekend!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I'll be using a Schmidt SON 28 for the BB200.

Be interested to hear what set up you are using for battery charging and direct charging.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

I have 2 Schmidt dynamos.
On my Bullitt cargobike it will be 5 years old this winter. Has never had a problem at all.
On my Shand Stoater it is 3 years old. Had one free service and done about 9,000 miles.
I'll be using my Shand for the BB200 as I did for the Ford Fiesta and WRT.
Only using it to power the front light as I remove the rack to which the rear light is attached for Bikepacking. I did have a Plug in the headset but after 8,000 miles it failed and I haven't replaced it yet.
Looking at a 3rd Schmidt dynamo for my road bike for Audax.
They are brilliant.

Dave
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I also noticed they did a 135mm version for Fatbikes! :-bd

278 Euros. :cry:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Currently waiting for someone to do a Boost width dynamo
Kiwiride

Post by Kiwiride »

Dave42w wrote:I have 2 Schmidt dynamos.
On my Bullitt cargobike it will be 5 years old this winter. Has never had a problem at all.
On my Shand Stoater it is 3 years old. Had one free service and done about 9,000 miles.
I'll be using my Shand for the BB200 as I did for the Ford Fiesta and WRT.
Only using it to power the front light as I remove the rack to which the rear light is attached for Bikepacking. I did have a Plug in the headset but after 8,000 miles it failed and I haven't replaced it yet.
Looking at a 3rd Schmidt dynamo for my road bike for Audax.
They are brilliant.

Dave
Did you run any cache battery when using the plug? I've read the fluctuation in speeds can bust your device whether it Garmin or iPhone etc.
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

i see you can get schmidt son 28 in boost now have a look at sjs cycles
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

Kiwiride wrote: Did you run any cache battery when using the plug? I've read the fluctuation in speeds can bust your device whether it Garmin or iPhone etc.
I generally use it to charge an Anker battery which I later use to charge devices.

To achieve on the go charging I can just have 2 smaller Anker batteries use one for charging while the other is being charged. Then swap. Gives more options on multi day rides and the general purpose batteries are much cheaper.

I did add the extra PAT II device to improve output.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

BTW in the future I'd look at the LUMOTEC IQ2 LUXOS U light as that has a cache battery and USB charger built in.

See a long way down this page for details http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp

Note you won't be able to charge anything much at all while using the lights.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave42w wrote:
Kiwiride wrote: Did you run any cache battery when using the plug? I've read the fluctuation in speeds can bust your device whether it Garmin or iPhone etc.
I generally use it to charge an Anker battery which I later use to charge devices.

To achieve on the go charging I can just have 2 smaller Anker batteries use one for charging while the other is being charged. Then swap. Gives more options on multi day rides and the general purpose batteries are much cheaper.

I did add the extra PAT II device to improve output.
What's a pat2?
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Has anyone used a Shimano Alfine dynamo?
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... -s501.html