alpkit kraku help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

alpkit kraku help

Post by jay91 »

I've had a kraku stove delivered today put on a 100g Jetboil gas canister it works okay for a few minutes and then gas starts to slow Down and goes off! :???: tried a different canister and no gas at all
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: alpkit kraku help

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Jay, have a look under the stove where the valve is. Is there a rubber sealing washer or O ring? If there is, remove it and fit the caister again but DON'T LIGHT THE STOVE as gas may be leaking out. However, if you can hear gas leaking from the valve, it shows that there's nothing wrong with the canisters and the fault lies with the valve on the stove (sometimes the pin on the stove isn't long enough to open the valve on the gas) and you should probably return it.

I have heard that certain makes of canister work better with the stove than others, not that knowing helps much, oh and have you considered meths? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Fussy as f*ck in my experience, and exact same experience of shutting down when hot,. I've tried Jetboil, coleman and go power so far. Only happy with coleman IME, but other report other patterns. Wouldn't play at all with jetboil, and spitty with the go power.

Local camping shop owner used to work as a stove rep, and was boggled by shut down when hot effect.

I've emailed Alpkit, they sent a new o-ring, but the o-ring is fine. I should send it back, as I don't trust it any more, and bought myself a MSR micro that happily plays with the canisters than the kraku rejected.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I started to have problems with a low flame or none at all but have found that it just needs tightening a bit as the canister gets used which on mine seems to have solved the issues.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

cycleofaddiction wrote:I started to have problems with a low flame or none at all but have found that it just needs tightening a bit as the canister gets used which on mine seems to have solved the issues.
Tightening the gas canister?
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Jay, have a look under the stove where the valve is. Is there a rubber sealing washer or O ring? If there is, remove it and fit the caister again but DON'T LIGHT THE STOVE as gas may be leaking out. However, if you can hear gas leaking from the valve, it shows that there's nothing wrong with the canisters and the fault lies with the valve on the stove (sometimes the pin on the stove isn't long enough to open the valve on the gas) and you should probably return it.

I have heard that certain makes of canister work better with the stove than others, not that knowing helps much, oh and have you considered meths? :wink:
Had a bit if of play with it still no good was hoping to use it this weekend going to send it back. Wanted to use my 650 mug to :|. Still I've got a brukit it's just massive
Trying to ride bikes.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

Just used pliers on my multi-tool to tighten the stove ever so slightly and so far so good, will have to wait and see if I have to start using force on it in which case then I will have to get in touch with Alpkit.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

cycleofaddiction wrote:Just used pliers on my multi-tool to tighten the stove ever so slightly and so far so good, will have to wait and see if I have to start using force on it in which case then I will have to get in touch with Alpkit.
thanks for the help think im going to send it back thanks
Trying to ride bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've the Vango superlight stove which is the same item as the Kraku just rebranded and have had no problems with it on Coleman cylinders and generic propane/butane cylinders from the hardware store.

I'd mention to Alpkit that you have tried on different types of canister with varying success. A leaking seal is not something you need with gas stoves :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A leaking seal is not something you need with gas stoves :shock:
It's the opposite problem, nothing comes out to leak.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My kraku is a bit fussy too. Won't use all of the gas in my 100g Coleman cylinder, but my blowtorch will. The kraku seems to work on some cylinder I bought from a plumbers merchant (GoSystem I think, more normally used with a soldering torch)

It's a rebranded fire maple thingy...

I now use meths generally (a certain person on this forum is to be blamed for that!)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ask for another, mine has behaved itself on a range of different canisters. Well, apart from not folding up properly with the valve fully shut so has to be help switched on a bit.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

A review with a wee comment on the problem http://www.samharrison-ml.co.uk/blog/20 ... raku-stove

"When the stove is fully attached the stove should come very close to the lip of the canister but should not touch or exert any force that would cause the stove to malfunction, as a rough guide you should be able slide a piece of paper between the canister and the stove body"

Hope that helps!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Jay - just sent you a PM. I have a small gas stove that you can borrow if you want
Its light, small and it works dandy :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've got a Kraku and the Karrimor X Lite one mentioned in the linked blog http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-bla ... ve-p158215

My experience is pretty much the same as the blog writer's; the kraku is wonderfully compact but if I want a more functional and usable stove I use the Karrimor for an imperceptible (IMO) weight increase but some added size.

IMO I think Alpkit have a few similarities to On One. They do some great value / cheap gear which often does the job. However, some of it isn't quite right, some of it doesn't actually deliver (see Stu's test of the bru-kit or whatever it was), and some's just a bit sub-standard.

No axe to grind about them and happily use plenty of their stuff but the rep' and enthusiasm that greets so much of their stuff seems, IMO, to be a bit out of proportion.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

email jay at alpkit.com

he's the product manager at alpkit. he's been very helpful when I've had problems with their kit.