BB200 Route Details

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Re: BB200 Route Details

Post by jay91 »

i was just looking at the route and my 3 year old said "i bet there's a monster living there daddy you should go other way" pointing at lake vyrnwy :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

There is a Spar in Glyn Ceiriog and there are a couple of pubs too. The pub opposite the Spar serves food (The Glyn Ceiriog) till quite late at least 8.30pm. The main portions are massive too :o

RE THE SPAR I'm reasonable confident that it opens at 8am and shuts at 9pm.

I quite like the published route too. You'll get to do the lovely wooded / slatey singletrack nr Llangynog twice!! And you'll have earnt it
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll get to do the lovely wooded / slatey singletrack nr Llangynog twice!!
Twice? Me no understand.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Post by Matt »

Extra badge if you start session'ing some downhill stuff
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

larsmars wrote:
welshwhit wrote:Good Spar, local shop, Chippy and Cafe in Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant folks. Drew
Really hope I can make that Chippy! Any idea when it shuts on a Saturday, Drew?

Street view says there is another SPAR in Glyn Ceiriog @ ~96k called 'Cross Stores' and I think it shuts at 9pm... anybody know if that's true? Would be good to know as a back up!
Whilst at the shop I thought some may appreciate such knowledge....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123779257 ... res/51i184 Is the link as I suck at posting pictures...

Drew
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Definitely a tempting target.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

:lol:

Just realised the BB200 route was overlaying another route on my Viewranger!

Just the once then :wink:
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Any tips of filling up on water after Llanraeadr ym Mochnant? I'm currently planning to fill from streams (bringing mini filter), but if there are pubs en route that I'm missing, I'd be interested to hear. I'm only seeing The Goat Inn, and that closes at 11pm.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any tips of filling up on water after Llanraeadr ym Mochnant? I'm currently planning to fill from streams (bringing mini filter), but if there are pubs en route that I'm missing, I'd be interested to hear. I'm only seeing The Goat Inn, and that closes at 11pm.
I'd just use the natural sources ... after all, the water supplies of many rural properties in this part of the world come directly from springs, rivers and various holes in the ground and often without any form of filtration :wink:
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

i know i turned down my place in this year's bb200, but would it possible for me to see the route? just out of interest like?

please, stu?!

(i have a little local knowledge of the ceiriog valley as it's near my in-laws and have ridden there a bit)

:-)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

GregMay wrote:
Single Speed George wrote:Haha ye I'm off cafine all.week so.I reduce my tolerance.a.bit so my cafine gells actually do something

Apart from that more modern research shows that this will have no effect. Dose response curve for caffeine doesn't work like that sadly. There's actually a negative short term impact from the withdrawal that most people have.

Sorry.

But also, hurrah, have a coffee.
Do you have any links to that research? The AvMed consultant at work was adamant that regular coffee drinkers are getting minimal stimulant effect (beyond placebo) and to get the best effect from coffee I need to go without for about 2 weeks! As someone who used to hammer the coffee, and have experimented a bit on myself, I am inclined to believe that the effect is greater after a period of abstinence.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I used to avoid caffeine for at least two weeks before a 24hr solo, back in the day. Start soon enough to overcome the short term withdrawal effect anyway. A big dose of caffeine at 1am does wonders if you been off it for more than a fortnight :shock:
Lump

Post by Lump »

Ive tidied up the GPS so it follows roads and paths, now takes it up to 128 miles :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ive tidied up the GPS so it follows roads and paths, now takes it up to 128 miles :)
What about those places where there are no roads or paths. What will it do then?
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Can i just ask if it's possible to change the route colour on my etrex30 from grey to something more visible?
I managed it on Basecamp, it's now pink. Can I do this and reload it onto my etrex? I couldn't find a way of doing it on the device itself.
Lump

Post by Lump »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: What about those places where there are no roads or paths. What will it do then?
It will spout wings and carry me to the next point :) For the most I have got it to follow, but where its just a BW I have added to it manually.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Polisherman wrote:Can i just ask if it's possible to change the route colour on my etrex30 from grey to something more visible?
I managed it on Basecamp, it's now pink. Can I do this and reload it onto my etrex? I couldn't find a way of doing it on the device itself.
Go to track manager, scroll down to set colour.
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Cheers. A lovely pink now!
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

cheers Stu.

Route looks fabulous. The Hand in Llanarmon-D-C does fantastic food. and there's two pubs in Llangynog which do great beers.

and make sure you sign the book in the tin on The Wayfarer pass.

quite jealous I turned it down now. Although the temptation for me to bail out to my in-laws for a warm bed and a big feed would be too great!
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Hummm happy my dad agreed to drive me down as sitting in the t4 stuck in traffic is better than beein stuck in my battered fiesta :/ still stuck in so much traffic near Preston on the m 6 ah well, on my way to Wales!!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don't want to teach everyone to such eggs but went for a night ride for several hours on the very northern Welsh holds tonight, flippin' freezing when the sun dipped down.

Bit of a late warning though :roll:
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

Arrived at the Aleppo Merchant Inn 8 minutes before the official deadline this evening.

Breakfast isn't until 7.30am so my start won't be quite as early as planned.

This bedroom seems to be the only room without heating, presumably as an acclimatisation technique :-)

Glad I packed an extra layer.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Dave42, you seem to be lost.
andyfla

Post by andyfla »

Well I can def say it was a cracker of a route - well the 116km of it that i saw, anyway,

Fantastic mix or rideable and unrideable - plenty of hills and a great bunch of people.

Thanks once again to Stu for setting this up and I shall be back next year to try and get my black badge !
slarge

Post by slarge »

Yes, really enjoyed it. Enough road to get the distance up, enough quality trails to really enjoy, and a couple of hills.
Bike went well, despite being hastily assembled last week, kit was great, upper body held up, just the legs fell off after 135km.
208km and 6300m climbing according to my Garmin.

The last 15km were a very slow countdown on the GPS. My food stores had run out and it was a grind back home.

Thanks to Stu and Dee. Cracking route, great bacon butties, and as always a warm welcome.