KTM saddle pack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

KTM saddle pack

Post by benp1 »

This looks like a complete bargain! €30!

http://www.ktmbikes.eu/ktm-bikes/eshop/ ... our-XL-18L

Dunno what shipping is though
Bearbonesnorm

Re: KTM saddle pack

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't get one until next year though - delivery is estimated at Jan 2016.
May the bridges you burn light your way
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Thought it might be a bit more orange. .
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Someone on STW seems to have had one a little earlier than January

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ves/page/2
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Given it a punt. €15 postage made it about £35 all in (and makes me scratch my head about the fact postage is 50% of the cost of the bag, weird :???: ).

Will see whether it's a typo on the site about availability and one turns up.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Still a bargain though huh? Let us know your thoughts once you get it

Any help to make the luggage more accessible is a winner I reckon!
ootini

Post by ootini »

My LBS is a KTM dealer / outlet, so I've just sent them a quick message asking if they can get them in stock, price etc.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Just had my PayPal refunded due to the delay.
ootini

Post by ootini »

LBS has stated they can't get them yet, but will keep me up to date
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

benp1 wrote:Still a bargain though huh? Let us know your thoughts once you get it

Any help to make the luggage more accessible is a winner I reckon!
Same here:
Hello,

thank you for your pre-order the KTM Bag XL 18 l.

The bag is now sold out. In stock will be at the end of this year or on the beginning of January.

I have your payment reimbursed back.

While the bag will be in stock, I will inform you and send you a link for payment.

Thank you and have a nice day,
Tomas Kvasnicka
MKV Sport
www.ktmibkes.eu
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's a shame

At least they let you know I suppose, could have sat on it for ages
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

For the record, here is the chronology of my interactions with KTM
  • June 9th - order placed and confirmed
  • June 15th - status update requested by me
  • June 18th - status reported as 'waiting for a delivery'
  • June 30th - bags sold out, and won't be available until 2016
  • August 2nd - did a 3 day trip with the bags that I had (worked relatively OK)
  • August 31st - something (can't remember what) prompted me to look at the KTM site again. Listed as being available January 2016, so I ordered one anyway, being prepared to forget about it, then get a surprise in the new year
  • September 2nd - unsolicted email arrived, announcing that the bag has been dispatched
  • September 5th - arrived home from a walk on the cosat, to fin a note from Royal Fail, telling me that they'd tried to deliver a parcel 10 minutes after we'd left home (as they always bl**dy do)
  • September 7th - after waiting the statutory 24hr for postman plod to get back to the depot, my wife picked up the parcel :-bd
I haven't had chance to use it in anger yet, but have fitted it to a bike to see how it looks.
It certain looks and feels well made, and is fairly easy to fit - how stable it is remains to be seen.
It's not waterproof (I knew this, prior to ordering) but it's pretty much the right size and shape to take an airlock tapered bag - I'd recommend some kind or waterproof bag anyway, just for the extra peace of mind.

As soon as I get chance - maybe this week, as I'm off work, and hope to get a sneaky ride in - I'll do a test ride with a full load, then report back.

Hope this helps

P.S. After currency conversion, it came to £30.18, including postage.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

So, I went out for a 30 mile test ride today, with the KTM saddlebag loaded up pretty much how it will be for a 5 day light touring B&B trip, in France, next year.

The bag contains...
  • Spare padded short liners
  • Spare cycling jersey
  • Spare cycling socks
  • Two pairs of underpants
  • Two t-shirts
  • Pair of casual shorts
  • Light fleecy top
  • The tools and spares that are normally in the small saddlebag under the saddle
I had a small windcheater under the bungees that come fitted to the top of the bag - this will probably replaced by a light raincoat for the actual trip.

There's room for some more stuff, should the need arise.

I also intend to have a small bar mounted bag, of the type typically used by road tourers, for camera, wallet, etc (and a pair of sandals will be strapped to this somehow)

Anyway, the test ride went well, with the bag being pretty inconspicuous for most of the ride. When out of the saddle, it does sway from side to side a little, but not very much.
Everything stayed put, despite plenty of ups & downs and a less than optimal surface to the quiet roads that I took.
It didn't even make its presence known when I had to apply "emergency braking" and ended up a bit sideways. :o :oops:

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality and ease of fitting - although it's not quite as stable as the Wildcat Tiger, it is a touch easier to pack.
I might put some old inner tube round the seatpost, to prevent rubbing, but that probably applies to most seat packs,

I'll probably still use the wildcat for off-road bivi trips, as it is the perfect size for my pre-packed drybag containing tarp & sleeping mat, but the KTM does seem better suited to packing several smaller bags.

Overall, 9/10 :-bd
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Be cautious of the efficacy of the bungees on the top of the pack ... a friend had a pair of crocs attached to the top of his KTM saddlebag on our last trip ..... they disappeared .... never to be seen again ..... no bad thing considering they were crocs but .....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Interesting - what broke, the bungee, or the loops that hold it on?

P.S. I'm a Coventry refugee, BTW, and may have met you at SSUK 2014. (I had the black Genesis hardtail with the gold lettering - and was camped in the corner of the field, just in front of the Godiva 'enclave')
godivatrailrider

belugabob wrote:Interesting - what broke, the bungee, or the loops that hold it on?

P.S. I'm a Coventry refugee, BTW, and may have met you at SSUK 2014. (I had the black Genesis hardtail with the gold lettering - and was camped in the corner of the field, just in front of the Godiva 'enclave')
Nothing appeared to have broken ..... the crocs just did a runner ;) Probably user error ;)

Enclave is a good description :) I had the white LWB T5 Sportline at the top of the rise :) and the Jones Spaceframe/Truss fork :-bd
Have you come to or left Coventry as a Fugee?
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Escapee - been on the run for 23 years next month.
Moved to West Sussex and - don't take this the wrong way - haven't missed Coventry one bit.
godivatrailrider

belugabob wrote:Escapee - been on the run for 23 years next month.
Moved to West Sussex and - don't take this the wrong way - haven't missed Coventry one bit.
My cousin lives in Findon, nr Worthing. I like Cov tbh, lived here all my life, can't see us leaving.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the saddle pack

It's a cracking price, the more accessible the bike kit gets the better I reckon
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

[quote]My cousin lives in Findon, nr Worthing. I like Cov tbh, lived here all my life, can't see us leaving.[\quote]

I know Findon - we often start rides there, as it's a convenient point to access the South Downs in either direction.

I also lived in Cov all of my life - until I left ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Reminds me of that film with Lee Evans:

Have you lived here all your life?

Not yet...