The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by JohnClimber »

Mpolo wrote:john would be interested to hear how the bsc tyres work out i could do with something similar for Cuba which will be a lot of tarmac and not much need for knobbles
Gonna fit them this afternoon, hopefully tubless, test ride them locally tomorrow so I'll report back.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Those tyres are not bad at all, I have the 29x2.3 and some other sizes from V-tyre who make them. The tread picks up flints like it's a design feature, the centre section seems to be optimised for it with those little square cut-outs, so I get a lot of flats in this area, more than almost anything else. Apart from that they're great tarmac/dry dirt tyres. The dual compound version feels a bit better off-road than the single compount that the on-ones use, could be other things giving me that impression though,
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

A Winter cap and some cotton waterproof cycling trousers from the Vulpine sale. The hat feels spot on for grotty weather bit I think the missus will leave me if I ever wear it in public with her. :???:
Gari

Post by Gari »

@johnclimber/Jameso, what width do they come up at? Wondering if they would fit the WTF?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Postman arrived but didn't leave a calling card :oops: No Crikey, how much stuff for a few more days :sad:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gari wrote:@johnclimber/Jameso, what width do they come up at? Wondering if they would fit the WTF?
57mm on flow rims, had a real fight getting it on (but I am a wimp).
1 down 1 to go
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks, I have a flow rear wheel and I have given up using it as I keep buying tyres and they often won't fit! Not enough Fairy Liquid on the planet :roll:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Not really the postie but I was in Bridgwater so nipped to SJS.

One set of Digest bars, some RL520 levers and some cable oilers.

Gari

Post by Gari »

Liking the look of those bars, off to have a look on the SJS website....
edit to add.
mmm, just had a look, be interested to know how you get on with them. good price too eh?
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Stuart has a set that he's already testing and JohnClimber appears to be the only person who's ever taken a photo of some actually on a bike! :wink:

I will however feedback. It's my first foray into proper off road drops. I don't get on with tight curves on bars so liked the 'ergo'-like shape vs a woodchipper. Oh and yeah price is good.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Couple of vulpine cycling caps - a storm proof one and a winter one
atk

Post by atk »

Had a quick spin on some of those bars over the weekend... They seemed quite flexy, be interesting to hear if anyone else has experience that...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Crikey, how much Gilet arrived yesterday, bright and light and £36 instead of £80 :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ctznsmith wrote:Stuart has a set that he's already testing and JohnClimber appears to be the only person who's ever taken a photo of some actually on a bike! :wink:
Ok I can take a hint, but I'll keep the photos small so you can click on them to see them if you want to look in detail

ImageDSC04736 by Johnclimber, on Flickr

ImageDSC04732 by Johnclimber, on Flickr

With 1024 miles on the clock I can honestly say they are great bars, the end shifters don't get in the way at all but changing gear in technical situations when both hands are needed on the bars is impossible, I've never noticed any "flex" that would worry me. The main reason I fitted them to this bike was to ensure that this bike didn't become my go to bike as it's a very capable, comfortable Titanium frame and the forks are fantastic, if it had Jones bars I wouldn't need to keep half my bikes :oops:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

John have you ever tried to fit your tri-bars to them?

I was considering a set of tri-bars for those long boring road straights when touring but the bulge on the digest bars seems very narrow.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ctznsmith wrote:John have you ever tried to fit your tri-bars to them?

I was considering a set of tri-bars for those long boring road straights when touring but the bulge on the digest bars seems very narrow.
No, but I have them on my Jones bars on my Angus 29er+ and they have a similar step down which I've shimmed the outer bit to level out the area that the tri bars clamp on to, so I don't think there will be a problem with these bars and tri bars.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Postman hasn't been, instead I made the mistake of driving into Newcastle on the same day as the City Games to collect it from Edinburgh Bicycles Co-op. Wanted a CX bike for a while, and as it was Cycle to Work time (despite being unable to cycle to work) I thought I'd see what they had. Last year there were no disc-equipped CX bikes in the price range we had (thanks to our wages being low but topped up with commission, limiting us to 500 quid), but this time round the Revolution Cross Sport Disc slipped in 25 quid under. Decided it'd be rude not too. Looks like we're doing a work C2C next year, and I'm tempted to make it a C2C2C by heading over on Hadrian's Cycleway first, and this could be the ideal bike for it.

ImageMy first CX bike by durhambiker, on Flickr
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I like coming home to post! I think I may also now have everything required to rebuild my mtb/touring frame.

Gari

Post by Gari »

As a response to my knee's complaints on the Shetland trip I ordered this, lindarets road link and 34 n/w ring imminent too, hopefully.
I got the cassette from ubyk, ordered yesterday at around lunch time, arrived in this mornings post. Pretty good I think, especially given that the highlands is seen as another planet by most courier firms!?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Not exactly postmans been but Went shopping to buy casual town shoes, came home with bike shoes....

Bought my first pair of SPD shoes at Tredz, after trying some on I settled on a pair of Shimano Mo89s, a pretty generic XC shoe but fit well and worth an introduction to clipped

After a quick test ride expecting to fall over I honestly wonder what all the fear was about, so easy to unclip/clip and an instant improvement in control and comfort when pedalling, very happy indeed...

until my first crash anyway :oops:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

A pair of winter overshoes and a pair of 29+ Innertubes from On One. Ordered during yesterday's tea break. Impressive!

Good call with the shimano shoes. I've been using Giro shoes of late and I dusted off my old shimano shoes to use on the turbo recently and they were like comfy slippers. I think I'll move back to shimano next time.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Gari wrote:praxis
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with that there cassette Gari :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gore Bib (not so baggy) Baggy's

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

FLV wrote:
Gari wrote:praxis
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with that there cassette Gari :-bd
I know someone who has put a fair distance on one of these Dave and is very very impressed. Not used one personally but would trust their judgement on this.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

One of the £70 Karrimor Down coats from Field & Trek ..... Seems excellent just mooching round the centrally heated house ;)