Nights drawing in - happy?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Nights drawing in - happy?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just noticed how dark it is and was hit by the realisation that Autumn is most certainly on its way. I actually quite like this time of year and don't mind the darker nights (although I'm not keen on full-on, dark by 5pm Winter) ... anyone else enjoy Autumn or am I just odd?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Re: Nights drawing in - happy?

Post by Matt »

You already know the answer to your question.

But Autumn is good
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I like it, the normo's all go back and hide indoors and I can enjoy the outdoors again :grin:

The weather etc. can be sorted with some frame of mind and some good clothes. It also makes you appreciate the nice weather more.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Nowadays I like it. I use to hate night riding before I started bikepacking think I was scared :lol:
Last edited by jay91 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to ride bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In a good year the colours can be stunning. I always like the early morning mists as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

Has as been mentioned already, the colours can be great if you like your photography. I also prefer to ride in the cold than the warm,yeh I know :roll:
it also means that the fattie and skis can come out of storage soon :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Still waiting for summer :-W
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^^There is that too of course,
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nope. I like long light evenings. Dark before work and dark after work sucks.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote:Still waiting for summer :-W
Ha ha, yes there is that! Wishing i hadn't taken the mudgaurds off my commuter bike this year...I'll probably be putting them back on in a couple of weeks time.

I also notice sport pursuit had some heated inner soles for sale - was tempted for a fleeting second!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I love autumn! Favourite time of the year.

Summers good too. But like Ian says...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Autumn's great if you're not working and can ride in the good weather and in the daylight, but late Spring is my favourite time of the year
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

FLV wrote:Nope. I like long light evenings. Dark before work and dark after work sucks.
I'll second that.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I like the isolation of night rides, even when you're with other people. You're sort of alone in your own pool of light*, hearing nothing but your own breathing and the crunch of your tyres. I like that. I even quite like leaving the office in the dark**, it means I get the trails to myself on the way home. Roubaix lycra, Sealskins and Gore Tex mean the weather doesn't get in, but everyone else stays in their little boxes and I get some peace and quiet when riding. Might try a pair of bar pogies this winter, the only thing I have trouble with in the winter is thick gloves.

* Well, you were until the past few years 'lumen wars' began and one person could carry more than enough light for everyone...

** I shift my working pattern in the winter to do 10am-6pm, so at least I get daylight in the mornings. I can cope with dark at night but darkness first thing really buggers me up. One of the minor joys of being a contractor.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I'm with Zippy, all the norms go indoors and watch the idiot box, and the trails are clearer.

I love winter, maybe not when it's 2 weeks relentless rain, but cold crisp winter is great. 30 mile commute each way in the dark isn't so much fun, but it has its moments.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I love the fact that Autumn can still produce warm indian summer days, feels like a privilige to be out making the most of it, whilst others head indoors. Get some beautiful colours in the trees, heather, etc
Rutting stags can be an experience to see, By chance they got a bit too close as I was bivi's in the undergrowth and they didnt see me - a great sight
2924 miles per Gallon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The dark is miserable but you can deal with that with lights. The cold is fine too, can just wear more

The rain isn't much fun though, I know you can deal with that with good clothes but it's just easier without the rain

The muddy gloop/slop isn't great either, just makes everything messy.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Its not the autumn its changing the time back one hour that I hate. :sad:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Pyro wrote:I like the isolation of night rides, even when you're with other people. You're sort of alone in your own pool of light*, hearing nothing but your own breathing and the crunch of your tyres. I like that. I even quite like leaving the office in the dark**, it means I get the trails to myself on the way home. Roubaix lycra, Sealskins and Gore Tex mean the weather doesn't get in, but everyone else stays in their little boxes and I get some peace and quiet when riding. Might try a pair of bar pogies this winter, the only thing I have trouble with in the winter is thick gloves.

* Well, you were until the past few years 'lumen wars' began and one person could carry more than enough light for everyone...

** I shift my working pattern in the winter to do 10am-6pm, so at least I get daylight in the mornings. I can cope with dark at night but darkness first thing really buggers me up. One of the minor joys of being a contractor.
Pogies are vaguely exciting, well worth getting. Only cause a problem in rain

Spring is my favorite time of the year , bit of dew in the morning and by mid morning, it warms up :-)
FLV

Post by FLV »

The day the clocks go fwds is my favourite day of the year :grin:
The day they go back, my least favourite x(
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

It's feels like summer out there this afternoon.

(Was noticeably chilly this morning though)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

FLV wrote:The day the clocks go fwds is my favourite day of the year :grin:
The day they go back, my least favourite x(
I'm beginning to think we have very similar views on the subject.

I can cope with the long dark nights up until about mid to end of January. After that I think I start to suffer with Seasonal Affective Disorder and I get very fed up indeed. Maybe I should get one of them lamp thingies.
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

My wife has one of those lamp thingies and they do work, but I would recommend start using it when the clocks go back and don't shine it directly into your eyes as they are really feckin bright.

I love this time of year, not too hot, all the overgrown trails start clearing and as others have said the norms take shelter indoors until April. The people I work with still struggle to understand that I ride in the winter and at night, then again I don't really get X factor or the dancy one so it sort of evens out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like Summer is finally here and will be with us for a few days yet and hopefully we've got some nice Autumn weather on the way too. I used to hate winter but two things make it a fab time of year for me - skiing and my fat bike. Hopefully will be cold and snowy rather than wet and windy and really hope we get some big snow falls down to low level this year so I can smugly bike in to work on the Ice cream truck whilst everyone else slithers around in their cars. Bring it on :-bd
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

First 2 weeks of September = best time of year.
Grubby little urchin.