Waterproof boots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Motorman

Waterproof boots

Post by Motorman »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a waterproof boot that will cope with both riding on flat pedals and hiking?
I never seem to buy ones that manage to keep winter on the outside...
jpw247

Re: Waterproof boots

Post by jpw247 »

Remember if it can't get in it also can't get out. Should you go knees deep in something you're screwed. I had the same predicament before but settled for a less costly pair of sealskins socks (full winter ones).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shimano MT90/91s have always been pretty good at this. They'll grip fine even with a cleat installed.. However, I bought Northwave Gran Canion boots in the sales last winter and they've been good too.

The important thing is to keep the water out though - and winter for me usually involves gaiters of some sort. Proper snowy riding has me wearing some insulated, GTX-lined snow-shoeing boots.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pre SPD I used to use karrimor KSB's which were ace. These days their quality is pretty crap tho but they are cheap. I'm sure berghaus still do a good goretex lined lightweight walking boot as do all the usual suspects (Scarpa, meindl etc). If your staying on flatties there is not much to recommend the shimano mt91 as its expensive and doesn't last long. I only use them as I use spds and there is bugger all else out there in terms of a good supporting boot which is waterproof and has a cleat.

Scotroutes - I got a pair of gran canions last year and after 10 months the sole had split....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Try approach shoes/boots low cut Goretex to keep the water out and a good stiff sole for hiking.
Can be used with a gaiter long or short depending on weather/standing water/depth of mud.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I'm glad somebody brought this up. When I first got my bike I used my Shimano SPD MTB shoes, didn't like them. Couldn't unclip quick enough to deal with slidy bits. Then I put flats on the bike and used a pair of old Vans trainers. They're OK but have zero grip so I use them only in very dry conditions or tarmac. On my last ride I chose to wear an old pair of North Face mid ankle walking boots and they're brilliant. Waterproof and amazingly they're very comfortable on the bike, I was worried I'd lose some flexibility around my ankles but it's all tip top. I'm thinking of sticking with them until they die, won't be long, they're old, and replacing with something similar.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yeah I wish to god the likes of meindl and scarpa etc started producing out cycling boots based on their lightweight walking boot designs as its a definite gap in market - no velcro, no buckles, a good bit of ankle support and lasts longer than 2 years....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Amazon are pretty good for Merrells, certain random sizes in different models are far cheaper than others strangely. I guess it lets them do a "from £29.99" label or something!

I've just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Allout- ... lout+blaze

But they do a million similar varieties.

On the subject of having waterproof/warm socks and then some shoes that would let water out again, I did toy with something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Waterpr ... ater+shoes