MYOG bag pouch

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

MYOG bag pouch

Post by ootini »

In line with my usual ethos of why pay more, I'm toying with the idea of bodging up my own handlebar pouch, similar to the Roo pouch and others like it. As a base I'm thinking of starting with something like this for £7.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-wash-bag-784006

Gonna pick one up later and see how I could modify it to fit in front or on top of a dry bag on a strappy bar harness.
Zippy

Re: MYOG bag pouch

Post by Zippy »

ootini wrote:In line with my usual ethos of why pay more,
I can think of many reasons of paying more, and often do. Depending on your criteria, it often works outs far more cost effective with a better item to boot. Don't underestimate what your own time is worth either (although I often negate this bit as I enjoy tinkering, and sometimes spend less and tinker more to make a better item). All swings and roundabouts - but sometimes paying more is the correct and cheaper thing to do.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Zippy wrote:
ootini wrote:In line with my usual ethos of why pay more,
I can think of many reasons of paying more, and often do. Depending on your criteria, it often works outs far more cost effective with a better item to boot. Don't underestimate what your own time is worth either (although I often negate this bit as I enjoy tinkering, and sometimes spend less and tinker more to make a better item). All swings and roundabouts - but sometimes paying more is the correct and cheaper thing to do.
I agree, that in some cases, paying more to get a better product is definitely the way forward. It took me a while but I'm now firmly a believe that cheap sleeping bags, for example, are just a nightmare and it's worth paying a few quid. However, for other products, namely small bags for example, cheapo substitutes can often work "almost" as well as their expensive counter parts. My MYOG feed bag for example, that's nothing more than a quid shop peg bag, some spare lighting brackets and half an hour of my time. That's the theory behind this idea too, I reckon that wash bag, with a bit of modding on a sewing machine, or possibly even none (will have to see it up close) might make a perfectly serviceable bar harness pouch, the AlpKit and Wildcat equivalents are around £30-40.
And like you, I also like tinkering. I also like the smug zone feeling when someone bangs on about how expensive their Gucci bit of equipment is when mine cost a fraction of the price and is equally as effective. But that's just me.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Interested to see how this turns out. It could work
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

The karrinor running waist bags might be a better option, smaller and less capacity but the shape fits the drybag better

I use one for medicals,cash and phone, either on the front as a bar bag, or around me on my person for shop duties

As for the cheap debate, I make all my gear, not to save money, or because I dont like other companies.
But I have all the equipment and expertise in sewing to make something myself, and enjoy it.
Although the labour involved in making the simplest bag makes me really appreciate the work these companies do
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Another one to look at is the OMM Trio front pack. I've used mine for quite a while, not keen on the map pouch part of the newest version, but you might be able to take some inspiration from the design and attachment.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."