Show me your cook kit!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Show me your cook kit!

Post by ootini »

Along the same lines as HayWire's tool kit thread, I was wondering what you're cook kits consists of?

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading a few bits and bobs, the AlpKit stuff looks nice but was wondering what everyone else uses.
Charliecres

Re: Show me your cook kit!

Post by Charliecres »

Myti mug, MYOG pot stand/windscreen, coke can meths stove and a plastic mug with the handle cut off. It all nests together in the mesh bag that the my to mug came in.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Usually something like this. Changes a little here and there, so weight ranges from 100g - 135g (without fuel which adds another 80g which is enough for 2 - 3 days).

May the bridges you burn light your way
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

You lot will have a fit at this… but there it is in the foreground of this photo:

Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
jameso

Post by jameso »

ImageDSCN9639 by james*o, on Flickr

Luxury kitchen on a recent trip. A meths stove with a simmer ring and a proper pan with frying pan lid. Lardons, pasta and red pepper pesto for dinner, omelettes for breakfast.

Usually it's this -

2 nested cups and a BB stove (that one above was my ham-fisted home-made micro stove.. since bought a Dremel but use the larger BB stove now, much better!). The coffee filter device has been ditched in favour of Israeli-style cowboy coffee using expresso grounds. Less faff, simpler, a better brew.
Works for noodles, ravioli-style pasta that's easy to get, porridge, scrambled eggs (just). The whole lot also goes into a MyTiMug so there's options for a bit more volume using 2 or 3 mugs.

ootini

Post by ootini »

jameso wrote:ImageDSCN9639 by james*o, on Flickr

Luxury kitchen on a recent trip. A meths stove with a simmer ring and a proper pan with frying pan lid. Lardons, pasta and red pepper pesto for dinner, omelettes for breakfast.

Usually it's this -

2 nested cups and a BB stove (that one above was my ham-fisted home-made micro stove.. since bought a Dremel but use the larger BB stove now, much better!). The coffee filter device has been ditched in favour of Israeli-style cowboy coffee using expresso grounds. Less faff, simpler, a better brew.
Works for noodles, ravioli-style pasta that's easy to get, porridge, scrambled eggs (just). The whole lot also goes into a MyTiMug so there's options for a bit more volume using 2 or 3 mugs.

Is it me or is that door on fire?

Also, which mugs are they that stack? I was thinking a Mytimug 650 and 400 (i think it's 400).
ootini

Post by ootini »

s8tannorm wrote:Usually something like this. Changes a little here and there, so weight ranges from 100g - 135g (without fuel which adds another 80g which is enough for 2 - 3 days).

Hi Stu, that setup looks fine for making a brew, but how do you cook food? Is it not too small?
jameso

Post by jameso »

ootini wrote:Is it me or is that door on fire?

Also, which mugs are they that stack? I was thinking a Mytimug 650 and 400 (i think it's 400).
Ha : ) could've been.. note the slab used for stable heat-resistant stove placement. It was preferable to meths stoves on dry grass at dinner time but the slab was used there also.
Mugs are a 450 and a 330, from lifeventure and snowpeak. The lid for the 450 is from a Bisto tub. Hagen-daz small tub lids fit a MyTiMug but are taunting reminder of nice things unless you remove the label (or use a jacket as insulation, works for an hour or 2 I've found..)
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

This is my multiday, weight not too much of an issue setup. I've replaced the Trangia frying pan/lid with a silicon bowl from the pound shop, and added an extra pan from another Trangia set which I only use to boil water or make (cowboy) coffee in.....

ImageP7130433 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

ImageP7110371 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr

But why spend time cooking on foreign jaunts when there's so much of the local cuisine to be sampled?

ImageP7090189 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

My coffee setup is quite a bit bigger than your whole cooking sets :-)
coffeeset.jpg
coffeeset.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Still this is enough for several weeks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi Stu, that setup looks fine for making a brew, but how do you cook food? Is it not too small?
You're never going to 'cook' a full English but many meals can be made with the addition of boiling water into a pour and store bag ... 450ml of boiling water can make quite a bit of food, uhm instant custard :-bd
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

many meals can be made with the addition of boiling water into a pour and store bag ... 450ml of boiling water can make quite a bit of food, uhm instant custard :-bd
A little word of advice learnt from bitter experience with instant custard and pour 'n store bags.....

If you don't want to shower your fellow campers with a scalding custard fountain then use a spoon and not a spork to ladle the freshly prepared custard out of the bag :oops:
Last edited by slugwash on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slackman99

Post by slackman99 »

Another little word or advice.........

Add some rainbow drops/jazzies to your hot custard for a properly nice 'desert' :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

slackman99 wrote: Add some rainbow drops/jazzies to your hot custard for a properly nice 'desert' :-bd
Vajazzle your custard, love it!! :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I prefer cake/muffin/dried fruit in custard. It's lush as an outdoors dessert. Hot angel delight is also not bad

Also, mint aero balls. The lightest way to enjoy chocolate!
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Chocolate raisans in porridge has got to be up there as top camp food :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

One more question if I may guys, I've seen the cook kits and got a rough idea of size, but where do you carry them when travelling ? Frame bag? Seatpack? Something else ?
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

No pics of mine but it's MyTiMug based and I carry it in an Alpkit stem cell. The newer stem cells (i.e. not the first batch of them) are designed for it I think.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mine usually goes in the seatpack towards the pointy end or in the frame bag.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I use a nest of 2 TI pots, 350ml and 550ml
Fits inside is an MSR pocket rocket, ferrocium, 2 sets of folding cutlery, 2 mini microfiber towels, paper soap, foil, sweetener (agave) and salt

This is overkill for some but its for both myself and my partner, hence duplicates.
I used to use army issue Hexamine, but a right faff to ignite
Solo trips I either eat cold, find a pub, or strip the kit down to just 1 small pot,stove and chopsticks

I used to carry this in a mesh bag in a backpack, as my old bike had too small a triangle, but I'm now going to experiment with it in a framebag now I've got a new bike with more space
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

no photo of my one , but its a pocket rocket a small can of gas , a fork a lighter and a large ish maby just lest than a pint aluminium mug with a lid that i found in a pound shop and is vaguely exciting haha. gets padded out with my bivi bag to stop it rattling then goes in my front dry bag .