Cairngorm Loop Scenery

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

danielgroves

Cairngorm Loop Scenery

Post by danielgroves »

I'm heading north of the wall next week, and shall have the bike with me. Specifically, I shall be looking at the Cairngorm loop. The plan is to haul the big camera along with me, but naturally taking a full-size DSLR, tripod, lenses, filters, etc is heavy and large and so will be slowing me down. As a result of this I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it around the full cairngorm loop route.

Which bits have the best scenery in your eyes? Obviously this would change partly with the weather, but if I'm not going to have time to do the whole route if I'm riding and shooting, then it would be good to concentrate on the areas with the best scenery. I know the central area (Avimore/Ben MacDui area) reasonably well, but not so much the other areas.

Cheers,

Dan.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Zippy

Re: Cairngorm Loop Scenery

Post by Zippy »

The bit over the mountain after Glenmore Lodge and over past the Fords of Avon refuge.

P1040241 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

P1040236 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Amazing, thanks Zippy.

Anyone else got any favourite bits?
Tam

Post by Tam »

I like the view towards Carn a'Mhaim on the bridge over the Lui water towards Lin of Dee. It's all good though :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lin of Dee is nice yep

i like the views through gaik forest area too, always makes me feel small, not the best photo but you get the idea.

(photo's taken on the same trip)
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Guessing you know Feshie well? Lots of interest, depending how much time you want to spend shooting.

Some ideas here:

https://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2015 ... time-away/

https://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2014 ... the-north/

Glen Derry has some lovely spots, dunno if you've been there from MacDui
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Pretty much all of the loop is scenic.just remember to look in all directions. There is a lot of varied terrain, because it is a long slog. And the weather changes fast so the light will change to. However Personally if I was taking a camera, the stretch between feshiebridge and Braemar wold be where I would spend the most time. I'm not really into landscape photos. I like buildings and people, animals in photos. Another picture of a heathery hill with half a lake in it doesn't do it for me. Esentially the less remote part of the route is where I would head. Braemar and surroundings is as photogenic as you will get. Imo.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If your humpfing that amount of gear I'd be thinking of giving the Strath from Bynack more to Glen derry a miss as this is where all the hike a bike is. It is the most dramatic as you get views up to the backside of Cairngorm, Ben Macdui and Cairn Etchachan mind... Plenty nice scenery on the outer loop but its all big - lots of wide panoramas rather than big jaggy bumps like you get on the west coast. Watch out for eagles up Glen Avon
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Amazing! Thanks everyone.
Some ideas here:

https://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2015 ... time-away/

https://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2014 ... the-north/

Glen Derry has some lovely spots, dunno if you've been there from MacDui
Just added both articles to instapaper for the train journey. Thanks!
Guessing you know Feshie well? Lots of interest, depending how much time you want to spend shooting.
Stayed near Loch Morlich a few times (not far up the road), so yeah I know that area fairly well. Hoping to take this opportunity to get a little more off the beaten track.
If your humpfing that amount of gear I'd be thinking of giving the Strath from Bynack more to Glen derry a miss as this is where all the hike a bike is.
Thanks for that, that's a good warning to have. I'll see how energetic I feel should I find myself in a position to head that way… I've been known to head out in foul weather over bad terrain for a photo or two in the past.
Pretty much all of the loop is scenic.just remember to look in all directions. There is a lot of varied terrain, because it is a long slog. And the weather changes fast so the light will change to. However Personally if I was taking a camera, the stretch between feshiebridge and Braemar wold be where I would spend the most time. I'm not really into landscape photos. I like buildings and people, animals in photos. Another picture of a heathery hill with half a lake in it doesn't do it for me. Esentially the less remote part of the route is where I would head. Braemar and surroundings is as photogenic as you will get. Imo.
I'm the opposite there. The more remote the better. However, should the weather be playing ball for it, I'll be pulling out some tricks to get a fairly unique take on the landscape. Rarely get the right sort of conditions for what I have in mind down here though!
i like the views through gaik forest area too, always makes me feel small, not the best photo but you get the idea.
I love those areas which make you realise how small a dot you are on the landscape. I'll be sure to check it out.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Let us have a look at what you shoot! Good photos are always a pleasure to look at!