Strappy harness *PIC HEAVY!*

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Strappy harness *PIC HEAVY!*

Post by ootini »

Not sure if this really counts as MYOG, as I haven't really "made" anything as such, I've just used off the shelf straps from Halfords to create a basic handlebar harness.

As you may or may not know, I'm very new to this whole thing and as I understand it one of the main jobs of a handlebar harness is to hold the bag securely but keep the drybag away from the bike frame to avoid it rubbing. Using a couple of luggage straps from Halfords I kind bodged it up by first creating a loop between the handlebar and fork crown, looping the bare end of the strap through the back of the buckle, not the spring loaded grippy bit. Once this was pulled tight, I sent it over the back of the bars and created a second loop to hold the bag itself. Two of these next to each other seems to do a half decent job of holding the bike quite securely. I've tried it with two bags, first was an 8l holding my tent (this was fine), second bag was a 10l holding sleeping bag, sleeping mat and clothes (this was a bit bigger and I'm not sure if it's too big as it's putting pressure on the hydro brake hoses). I've popped some pictures below to show you what I mean. Can anyone tell me if the rear brake hose looks OK? There's pressure on it, but it seems fine to me at full lock in both directions, but I've no idea if hydro brake hoses can (or should) flex this much. To be fair, this was only a test fitting and I didn't try to hard to get all the air out of the bag, so that would help in future.

Over the handlebar, under the fork crown.

Creating the first loop.

Through the back of the buckle, not the grippy bit.

The second loop for the bag itself.

Pulled tight it creates a "vertical bar".

Two straps holding the bag, as you can see the rear brake hose is pushed out by the bag.

Side view.

Top view.

Close up of the brake hose.

Cheers
benp1

Re: Strappy harness *PIC HEAVY!*

Post by benp1 »

Very simple. So it's like a pulley to help tighten it up. How well does it work?

I now have a proper harness but I found normal straps round the bars worked fine for me, I used Velcro straps to secure the bottom of the bag to the fork crown

I prefer the lack of faff with th me proper harness, but it is a lot more expensive!
ootini

Re: Strappy harness *PIC HEAVY!*

Post by ootini »

I've not used it in anger yet, but it's pretty solid. Takes a bit of faffing, but that's the price you pay for not paying the price I guess. I seem to get the loops all set up in place, then slot the bag in, pull each strap just taught enough to hold the bag, then spend a couple of minutes, tightening, adjusting and re tightening. After that it feels solid.