Anyone riding the Dunwich Dynamo tomorrow?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Anyone riding the Dunwich Dynamo tomorrow?

Post by Dan_K »

First time for me. Looking forward to it!
johnnystorm

Re: Anyone riding the Dunwich Dynamo tomorrow?

Post by johnnystorm »

Was going to (as I live near Dunwich) but the Rail company are being complete idiots. "Last year we were swamped with cyclists which made for a less than ideal situation for our customers". Their logical response? Put on more carriages? Nope, instead no bikes on trains north of Ipswich (so 40 mile ride to get there) and limited numbers from there.

Instead I'm off to do the Scott MTB Marathon in Church Stretton as it's easier for me to get there. :roll:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

johnnystorm wrote:Was going to (as I live near Dunwich) but the Rail company are being complete idiots. "Last year we were swamped with cyclists which made for a less than ideal situation for our customers". Their logical response? Put on more carriages? Nope, instead no bikes on trains north of Ipswich (so 40 mile ride to get there) and limited numbers from there.

Instead I'm off to do the Scott MTB Marathon in Church Stretton as it's easier for me to get there. :roll:
That's a shame. I've booked a ticket from Ipswich so am doing the extra miles.

Bet I'll be glad of those extra miles come Sunday morning!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Good luck Dan. Think Dave Barter is doing it as well.

Where does it start? Remote chance I may get to the start to see what is occurring. In Greenwich Park this afternoon.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Blackhound wrote:Good luck Dan. Think Dave Barter is doing it as well.

Where does it start? Remote chance I may get to the start to see what is occurring. In Greenwich Park this afternoon.
I'll listen out for the swearing then.

Starts from Pub on the park London fields.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

There was shitloads of swearing. I rode from Dunwich to London in a nasty headwind all the way. It was hot as well and I struggled to eat and get fluids in. I met my wife in London Fields and forced down a few chips then we rode back through the night. Conditions were perfect and Helen did amazing considering her longest ever ride before was 50 miles.

Saw JJ at London Fields but we only had a brief "Hello" as we were going in opposite directions
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
gairym

Post by gairym »

Fair play on doing the double - that's some mileage in that heat!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Great ride Dave.

My ride was fairly uneventful! Enjoyed the atmosphere and following the lights through the night. Did the extra miles to get to Ipswich, so 150 for me at a fairly respectable 15mph average.

Getting back on the train was a nightmare though!
Last edited by Dan_K on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I wanted to do it but the 2 people I was thinking of doing it with weren't up for it

I was in that neck of the woods in the car, had loads of riders cycle past me, completely forgot it was on. Weather would have been perfect. All road bikes but some panniered up while others seemed to have nothing on them!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Majority were road bikes but there were a few others in there including a fat bike!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We drafted 4 Elliptigo riders for a bit, also saw recumbents, lots of CX bikes, mtb's of all kinds, many many fixies, two tandems , a fleet of Bromptons and shopper bikes. That's why I go back to this ride every year, no rules, no start time, no timing, no support, no waymarkers (apart from the odd candle) and no hedgerows full of gel wrappers
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I rode my own dynamo variation. From my folks house in north essex village, picked up the route around midnight in finchingfield and out to dunwich. short powernap on the beach then ride back.

Lovely evening/night/early morning. Great atmosphere. lots of fun. horrendous sunday weather. Got as far as Needham market on way home, driving rain for several hours, a puncture from some broken glass and ended up cold and couldn't be arsed anymore. so went to a cafe and phoned for a lift. still 173km so a fairly respectable distance.