padded shorts advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

padded shorts advice

Post by Mike »

So I need to buy some new shorts but I don't want to buy more cheap ones as the pads in them are crap. They aren't protecting my ass enough so who uses what and what can you recommend on your experiences ta
johnnystorm

Re: padded shorts advice

Post by johnnystorm »

I've had loads of cheapies and come to the same conclusion. I've got some Gore, Castelli and Endurance but the best quality/VFM are my DHB ASV Pro bibs. They're great.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've found these to be really good-

http://www.tgstore.co.uk/inner-tights-p-4115.html
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I used a pair of the dhb asv pro on the YD300 recently and found them to be really good on a long ride, I've also just purchased a pair of the red and white "the bibs" . Heard good reviews of them so thought I'd give them a try.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Best I've ever used are Crikey, how much Classics, might be expensive but they look new after 6 years or so.

Fillv out an online survey this week to get 20% off
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I swear by endura pro bibs, not overkill on padding, its where you need I without making you feel like you're wearing a nappy

Also the only chamois that doesn't make me....numb,which cant be healthy long-term. there really is such thing as too much cushion

I find buying online always a gamble, if you get the chance, occupy your LBS and try on everything, best way to know the fit is right
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

there are many decent shorts available these days but they need to fit YOU.

I've tried several brands and, for me, the comfiest are assoss S5, but they are very spendy. I think that on the comfort/value for money the latest howies shorts or 3/4s are hard to beat...
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

i have these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pola ... prod112022
have been really good on recent bike packing trips and XC events.
paired with some Paceline Chamois Butt'r has been good
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of the ones listed here. In recent months I'm back down to what I'd consider my "racing weight" and I seem to have lost all of my ass padding.

Half of the pads I have seem to be useless for me now, and the first new one I've tried (DHB Aeron) really doesn't fit my ass well (it sort of feels like it's folding up in the middle).
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Aeron race (I think it's the race, not the top one but the one below it) is a considerable step up over the standard aeron in my experience. The pad is much more substantial and the Lycra seems sturdier and holds its position on you better. Well with the extra money to me
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

To add yet another brand I have a pair of the pricey Etxeondo shorts (even by Assos and Crikey, how much standards) that are excellent. Something like the Exteondo Dicolor are £90 and I found them almost as comfy - not a massive difference really - but not as well lasting in the long term. Third of the price though! These were the two pairs I took on the Tour Divide and subsequent Oregon tour and I had no problems with my undercarriage.

Merlin sometimes have them on sale although I usually use www.alwaysriding.com
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I tend to use some old DeMarchi shorts that ride better than the PI and Spesh. ones I've got. 10 years on em and they're just starting to die.

Greetz

S.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Calvin Kleins and a car wash sponge from Halfords has worked for years for me.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just had a new Rivelo bib turn up from Sport Pursuit. Pad feels really high quality, very dense. Hopefully it'll be good (will give it a go on the trainer tomorrow).

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/624209