Dreaded Bum Pain

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Dreaded Bum Pain

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

a mere 24 hrs in the saddle last weekend and the saddle sores have returned. Nothing drastic, but had I needed to ride yesterday it would not have been pleasant. So just how do people cope on proper long distance events like the tour divide, with epic amounts of riding and minimal time for bum admin?

I had a trawl on the net and whilst people recommend various ointments, saddles, shorts, etc, there does not appear to be any real consensus of opinion, other than maintaining good hygiene - and yet there are some people who don't use padded shorts or ass lubricant, and others who sleep in their riding shorts to minimise faff time and still get away with it...!
Analysing the cause of the red lumps, if the damage is done by impact forces, full suspension, padded shorts and no backpack should help. If it's mainly a problem with friction, regular application of chamois cream / lube should reduce this, along with comfortable shorts/saddle. If it is about avoiding infection with nasty bugs, then other measures will be required to maximise hygiene, which may involve avoiding sweaty padded shorts, as well as getting into a good routine under the bivi before sleeping. And I suspect gradually building up the miles on the same saddle to progesively condition the ass might help considerably too, if only we had the time.

I don't know the answer, but there are enough people here who have survived those long trips and I hope you can share some tips on this sensitive subject. If it is just about enduring the misery I may be in the wrong game!
Richard G

Re: Dreaded Bum Pain

Post by Richard G »

9 different saddles what what it took me, and remembering to spend at least a minute out of the saddle every thirty (this isn't usually too hard on most routes because of descents). I wouldn't go on a +4hr ride without chamois cream though. Assos or Sportique for me.

As it goes, my butt is killing right now because of my trainer saddle. It's a horrible thing, but it's the only one I found that doesn't make my groin go numb after 20 mins. It seems to be getting even more painful as I drop in body fat percentage... soon I imagine it'll be unusable.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

yep, you already know the blend of ingredients neede to make your answer. If anyone has any shortcuts I'd love hear them.

currently using a brooks c15 carved and howies bibs. do like assos too though.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Add check your saddle position and height to the list. If you're too far forward or back, or too high/low, you're going to be grinding your sit bones and/or rolling your hips causing undue pressure and friction which will result in infected hair follicles and fluid build up . You'll bugger your knees too.

Ive used papaya cream to good effect as a chamois cream, as well as tea tree oil and a bit of Vaseline after you shower. Dry yourself properly. Have you ever seen old blokes in the gym using the hair dryers to dry their undercarriage? Do that. Then dab some tea tree oil on the sores and a bit of Vas. And always wear cotton jocks.
I'm just going outside ...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

How does chamois cream work and how/when is it meant to applicated?
Do you just sit in old arse cream on a multi day ride or should you try scraping it off your chamois every night?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

For me a chamois is essential, and I'm now a convert to bibs after issues with 'liners' shifting, and finding the right underwear too helped, I know a chamois is ment to be next to skin, which I mostly do, but 5 days straight in the same pair I feel I need a layer for hygiene.

I've never needed to use butt cream once though, thank god

I find off road and bikepacking easier, alot of standing, hike a bike,ect. But its 100mi+ days on a road bikes hard saddle that taught me,

Just an odd question, what do you guys usually wear over the top? I mean the stereotype is road lycras and mountain baggies, I usually just stick my light hiking shorts over the top of my bib for some protection from rough, or modesty in pubs
ootini

Post by ootini »

Up until recently I wore my Altura lycras with a pair of Regatta / Karrimor 3/4 length baggies over the top, for some reason though I found the lycra made me feel quite constricted, which is odd as they're fine on their own on the road bike. I recently purchased a pair of "padded" baggies (muddy fox poor show from sports direct) but they're actually quite comfy.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

My top tips:
Get some bib shorts that fit well and are comfortable. I use Assos. Have tried other brands but have found them to be the best for my arse (Endura and DeMarchi shorts have a seam in just the wrong place for meand give me saddle sores). Shorts with a waist band or liner shorts will not stay in the right place in my experience.
Use some chamois cream. Rub it directly into your skin. Apply at the start of every day. It contains antibacterial ingredients as well as lubricant so will stop nasties from developing.
Try some different saddles until you find a style that works for you.
Ride lots - this will get your arse conditioned to sitting on the saddle.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I have the same muddyfox shorts, padding looks non existent but still a comfy backup pair

I now wear Endura sport bibs, very comfortable and a tight fit which helps me
A pair of North Ridge or Montane shorts for the rough stuff, or my Craghopper stretch trousers for town or commuting

I've found padded seats a nightmare, and only lead to numbness, whereas my race seat has very little padding, very slim to reduce leg chafe, but flexs slightly like a taught trampoline, for me its padded shorts and a hard seat....the irony
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Taylor wrote:How does chamois cream work and how/when is it meant to applicated?
Do you just sit in old arse cream on a multi day ride or should you try scraping it off your chamois every night?
It creates a barrier and provides some lubrication between your skin and the padding of your shorts. The creams are anti-bacterial, so should be killing the germs that are trying to get into your wide open pores and the micro-fissures in your skin created by the friction between the skin and the shorts.

You smear a dollop of it over the bits down there that come into contact with your saddle. Basically over your sit bones, your perineum and where your legs join your bum. If its a really long and sweaty day I have been known to apply a second layer. On multi-day tours I take 2 or 3 pairs of shorts and wear a clean pair every day, washing out the worn ones.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm one of those fortunate folk who don't wear any form of padding or use any creams / potions. I also don't use undershorts either as I find the extra layer causes more friction and results in betty swollocks ... get some air round it, I say :-bd

However, this does require the right saddle which is obviously different for everyone.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The right saddle can make all the difference: what's good for one person's bum won't be right for someone else. I bought a Charge Spoon recently - I get bad chafing after about 20Km with it yet lots of people rave about the saddle. My main saddle is a Bontrager - and I can do 140Km no problem, everything else is the same. The Spoon has "some" padding, the Bontrage basically none but I don't know if that's the cause or it's the shape or width of the Spoon that's the problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Related, when it comes to saddles it's well worth getting your ass measured. Having a seat that's sized appropriately to your sitbones can make a world of difference.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I'm using a brooks cambium, but the thing that has probably helped me the most was going on a longish ride specifically to try different saddle positions until I found one which worked for me.
I also ride my bike more as well which has probably helped toughen/harden my once beautifully soft arse.
FLV

Post by FLV »

As above, good bibs with a pad for me, saddle that works for you, on multidayers I didch the baggies too as they just bunch up between me and the saddle causing more uneven crumples to sit on (just a theory) and are hotter, or wetter than without too.

Cham creme on longer rides too. Baby wipe / river arse cheek wash, river chamois wash. Try to get some of the salty sweat out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Assos addict here too. I also find their chamois cream works wonders. I use it before and after the ride and thus don't bother with washing as stated above, chamois cream has anti bacterial properties. The thin Endura MTR Baggy short is what I wear over the bibs. Tight fit, elastic to the right degree and zipped pockets for those resupply moments.

All the saddles I use are Selle Italia SLR. The thin ones suit me just as good as more padded ones, so I guess it's down to the shape and not the saddle cushioning.

This all comes after a comfy bike fit. E.g. 5 mm shorter stem did a lot for me.

Getting rid of the salt from the skin sounds like a good idea too. I often do that with my feet when out backpacking. Only thing you need to clean your bum is a few drops of water and a small tissue/cloth.

When out riding I often change the saddle height, be it only a few mm. Mostly depending on terrain but some times just to have some variation, not only for my bum, also for wrists, back, knees etc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Red bumps - that's heat / sweat / pores related I think. I've stopped using padded shorts now after being unable to avoid sores like that at times on longer rides or a long weekend of riding. I ride 4-5 times most weeks even if for just an hour or 2 at a time some days and have found the sore spots can be a regular issue despite trying chammy cream, sudocrem etc, different types of shorts, etc. TBH I don't believe that padded shorts have to be clean-on for every ride, I think that's a myth that's come about due to padded shorts being the actual cause of the issue for some; yes hygene counts but shorts aren't germ-infested the next day. Pads stop the worst sort of abrasion soreness but they keep that area warmer and damper as you'd expect from a thick, absorbent pad. So to stay drier and cooler I've changed to good quality merino boxers or close-fit polyester boxers and have had no sores since. I generally feel better-aired wearing them and they're more suitable for rides that include getting off the bike and camping or generally spending time not-riding. I'm inclined to stick with it as I've never been a fan of the lycra look, accepted it as a necessity for 'performance' riding and now think we're duped into believing that, it just takes a willingness to go for some long, potentially painful rides to realise that if you have a good saddle the padded shorts may be totally unecessary. I have an 8-day trip coming up and I'm not taking padded shorts with me, just a single change of undies. It's taken a number of longer rides and weekend back-to-back 100+ milers to be confident in doing that but I'll be suprised if it's any worse than wearing what can feel like a nappy all the time : )
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I've always used bepanthen / sudocrem / conotrane on anything over 300km. For me, it's time off the saddle to let things dry, and the occasional wipe to get rid of salt that's the key.

Had a pressure sore go grade 2 in Edinburgh. Unfortunately, that was the half way point of London-Edinburgh-London. Wasn't pretty riding back on it. Took a good couple of weeks to heal.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Maybe I should add, I use merino boxers under baggies rather than a like-for-like replacement for lycra shorts alone :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

July 2013 was so hot, I went out for a few days in my trunks ... quite liberating.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote:Maybe I should add, I use merino boxers under baggies rather than a like-for-like replacement for lycra shorts alone :grin:
Phew! :roll:

We'd all like certainties but bike wear, like most things, is a compromise. The compromise becomes "the way to do things"(TM) with few if any questioning if it's the best for every situation.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

The compromise becomes "the way to do things"(TM) with few if any questioning if it's the best for every situation.
True. Same goes for SPDs for touring and a whole lot of other stuff that make me realise that Grant Petersen was right after all / I'm getting older and it's just an age thing : )
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Normal baggies&boxers here sometimes skins full length legging things in winter Hate padded shorts they just feel werid :roll:
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just a thread update. Since posting about merino boxers and touring shorts I've done my first week+ trip w/o padded lycra shorts, using merino boxers and baggies instead and I didn't think about saddle comfort the whole ride, the odd comfort-shuffle aside. We rode for 12-13hrs inc lunch and other breaks most days in the kind of heat that sets off most of the discomfort I get, sweat-related chafes and hot spots. (sorry - I did wait till after breakfast to post..). I was cooler and comfier all the way and it was a lot easier to sleep in wool boxers than change out of cycling shorts.

So that's it for me, no more lycra shorts. For me they just don't do the job they set out to for longer-miles use and I believe they cause as many issues as they may prevent. Merino boxers are easier to pack a spare, comfier, faster to wash / cleaner ime and just feel more, well, normal.
Solo

Post by Solo »

For me it's just an issue on my Cotic.

On the road I can jump from one bike to the other and never suffer. Even with longer mileage etc. Plus very different saddles. Spesh Romin with barely any padding to Fizik Aliante with a fair bit.

However in just over a year of owning the Cotic I'm on saddle number 5. I've tried 2 of my previous 'go to' choices in that figure! It's always to nose up or down etc. I either get numb or feel sore. I'm not sure if it's the ST angle that doesn't help or maybe the seat post clamp giving no 'in-between' position for the rails. I really don't know.

I'd been off the bike for 2 weeks as I'd been unwell and did a quick 8 miles yesterday to get some riding in. Am suffering today!