What motivates you?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

What motivates you?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My motivaton seems to be at an all time low. As someone who spends quite a bit of time trying to motivate others and who generally doesn't need an excuse to get out, I'm a little bothered by it ... so, what do you find helps lift your spirits and rekindle your enthusiasm?

A rocket has been suggested at home :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Re: What motivates you?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Lack of time due to my child and my wifey works shifts, so free time is on the bike once the family are sorted.

Work in a bike shop too, so always good to get out.

Bottom line though, I'm a miserable sod if I don't get out on my bike and I'm unbearable to be around (to misquote the wifey!).

If you're not enjoying it, then take up something else like walking/running/bird watching to enjoy the hills
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

You can come and work in my office for a bit. That would sort out your motivation to ride :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I grew up on a Lakeland farm and have always loved being in the outdoors. My main activity/sport has gone from Fell walking to climbing/mountaineering to fell running to biking (I've always done the others to some degree whilst focussing on one) and find that each lets me see an area in a new way: we did the Crianlarich to Ft William part of the West Highland Way the other weekend and It was just about all new to me despite having visited the area for thirty years.

When I climbed I used to take November and December off to let me recharge my batteries. I didn't stop getting out in the fells, I went for long walks and runs to get fit for winter climbing. It just let me wander without feeling any pressure to perform.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

To be honest, depression. Mountain biking is the only thing I've ever find that gets me away from the day to day bullshit and allows me to clear my mind / live in the moment for a while. That's why the possibility of a long term injury that takes it away is scary as hell to me.

Fitness is a bonus, but I think I'd rather be doing weights for that. No-one wants to end up with a cyclist's build. :???:

As for motivation, as already suggested, if you're not loving it then you might want to try something different for a while. You can't really force motivation. That, or maybe some specific challenge to aim at or subset of cycling which particularly appeals (get yourself doing hardcore downhill stuff for a while!).
Gari

Post by Gari »

I'm struggling a bit too at present, which is worrying given I have a new frame etc to build up! Been out on the hill with the tent and camera gear for a change of pace. One of the downsides of working in outdoor education, I know lots of guys who stopped/curtailed paddling once they were getting lots of coaching work.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was going to write a big long reply to you all ... but I can't really be arsed.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cocaine is the only answer.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I like to have a trip or race to look forward to which helps to focus my training rides and I also like to include running and swimming
in my week just to break up the routine.
I find the sunshine always cheers everyone up, perhaps you need a SAD light box to stick your head in !
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Enter something big enough that you won't be able to finish it without training and expensive enough that you have to do it, then you'll have to get out and do stuff to prepare. It might seem a bit extreme, but itd probably work?
I personally see a direct correlation with getting a big draggy fatbike :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Get out on that fat bike, be a new experience and they seem to make their owners very happy :wink: .
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

FatBike?

Rovaniemi150?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

FatBike?

Rovaniemi150?
My left knee's already bad enough :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Presumably this is a bluff, or double bluff and you are out prepping for the BB200 finding the most esoteric hike-a-bike featuring neck height tussocks and man-eating bogs.

Seriously though peaks and troughs are inevitable. Plus however much you like your job it will, at times, be a job.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

At 47 I've never felt fitter.
I'm just back in from my club mtb Tuesday night ride after riding there we had a race around a 2.2 mile loop where I was the oldest of the 16 riders I and only one other 12 years younger than me where the only ones to complete 6 laps within the hour and I could have easily carried on at the same speed for another hour or so if needed.

Keeping fit and beating the youngsters motivates me to get put and ride in crap weather.

Also enjoying the odd beer and bar of chocolate without turning it a fat lazy lard arse like my Dad did.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

s8tannorm wrote:
FatBike?

Rovaniemi150?
My left knee's already bad enough :wink:
Well, you might wear the other one to balance things out!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

To know that I'll bring back unforgettable memories.
I can draw energy for ages from days outdoor.

I'm not too motivated - after bike packing 1750 km across UK - to go on a three month trip that'll see us sleeping in the tent for, well two months and three weeks or so, cooking outside the tent because of bears and many other things that make you dream of central heating etc. I know it'll feel normal after one or two weeks - I've been there often enough. But now wouldn't mind to go back to work to settle with that wonderful trip across the UK and wait 'till my mind is set for the next step. (Some may think, gosh what a prat, but then it does take a lot of energy to expose yourself for weeks in the wilderness - one far bigger than Scotland.)

So now we just need to get our heads down, get things set and done because it'll be so worth the trouble of organising resupply, means of transport getting there and back, DIY gear - hours behind the sawing machine and all that faff. So worth it. Let's invest in ourself.

I have said this before. What you have created or helped to created (BB) is magic. One morning on our UK trip in Malham a lad came chatting with us. He had been inspired by mates and BB.
I got to tour across most parts of Wales with three lads and had a great time and often think back, remembering those faces, the wind and rain, the riding... it was inspiring. BB has played a part in that too. Perhaps it's time that you take back some of the inspiration found on here, some of which you have put here.
Take what you deserve.

I guess I'd say some very different things had I taken part in some of the BB events :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My love handles motivate me.

Always look on the bright side Stu. I've had chest pains for weeks kept it all quiet and even did the HTR knowing they were there. Was shiteing myself before DR's appointment ECGs/blood tests etc.. but turns out it's all muscular from a stupid crash I've had in the past. There was me wondering just what I would do if I couldn't waste my time on two wheels and now I can. So maybe another motivating factor is the point that "we can" and other can't?

ps. he told me to rest, feck that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ton

Post by ton »

5 years of being unable to ride offroad as left me loaded to the hilt with motivation. :cool:
but i have always liked to organise rides/trip away, with new people, in new area's. the STW rides the the late Deejay and myself organised were always well attended and great fun. that is the kind of thing that keeps me happy.
FLV

Post by FLV »

The next bacon butty. Always a strong motivator.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I like to look at photos of past days out on the bike. That and the hope of cake usually works a treat.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

My Condition, simple as

Diabetes has forced my hand into a much stricter diet and lifestyle, prior to diagnosis I was a freerunner, and training to be a track sprinter, then I lost all my muscle, fat and looked like a dried raisin...

I wanted to prove to myself it wouldn't stop me, life doesn't end just because one of my organs does

Cycling in general is the best thing I've done, no more buses to work, the freedom and pushing my boundaries, proving people wrong about the disease.
And as a side effect, the exercise has helped me control my blood glucose like nothing else

While everyone I've grown up with at my age is on the dole, blowing every penny on cheap cider and smoking whatever looks green and flammable,...

I'm on the worlds longest prescription, wear more Lycra tights than my girlfriend and spend my spare time getting pi**ed off by motorists, happy days :)
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I have and still struggle with having a consistent motivation.

I used to mountain bike, then I broke my arm and splintered my elbow, which had to be operated on. When I was back on the bike, I was aware that I had lost my bottle and was a bit of a liability for the people I was riding with. So I moved to road and Triathlons. I was going well and very fit, but had an ongoing back ache. This ended with a lower herniated disc, from the retro-listhesis, which was not stable. I opted not to have surgery and decided to strengthen my back, 3 years worth of recovery and strengthening and my back was pretty good.

However, my fitness has been shot (plus a bit of weight gain - hmm) and with it some of my motivation. It has taken me a good winters training to start to feel okay again. I still struggle with being consistent but I have accepted that I have no interest in knowing how quickly I have done something (I became time obsessed with Triathlons), so I needed something different. I have dabbled with Audaxing, which is good fun and have now moved back to offroad, but no longer the silly stuff!!

To respark my interest I had to find out what I was enjoying and what I now found uninteresting - trying these different styles has focussed my mind that I enjoy being out in the Countryside and just losing myself in the moment. I am no longer doing something for a sense of competition, but a sense of achievement. I also sold most of my bikes and now have 2; a Salsa Casseroll and a Salsa Fargo. This had a massive impact, no longer did I have a choice - audax - casseroll, offroad Fargo. With less choice I was able to concentrate on just a few things.

I am trying to be more consistent by targeting just 2 events this year - the Peaks Adventure X and the BB200. Just the thought of them makes me want to train, as I feel that both will be an achievement for me. I was told once that an event should be enjoyable, it is a celebration of your training.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

Knowing that the last 20 years went in a blink of eye & I wasted too many of them & they only go by faster & in anothe 20 years I will be well on the wrong side of. 60
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I am retired and have a wonderful store of memories of adventures from over the years probably enough to empty a bothy during a blizzard.
Just remembering the night I saw a bear in Scotland still puts a big grin on my face.
Gave myself a partial kneecapectomy falling off on flint last year which laid me up for three months but I am still planning adventures and trips in the time I have left because I can. I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up so I didn't and I never had a career other than in the littoral sense 'to go down hill out of control'. :lol:
Don't want to get all mystical but I find riding somehow focuses everything down to the moment. Its not a chore something I have to do its freedom and if I am still cycling too fast off road I am still alive. After a lifetime of work boredom I am lucky enough to be able to do what I want now.
If its a problem with the black dog I find even he enjoys it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.