Bike Specific Campervan Conversion

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Bike Specific Campervan Conversion

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I expect some of the die hards will be unimpressed that I don't just get on my bike and roll from the front door, but as i don't live in a part of the country blessed with mountain trail, I generally need to drive for weekend or longer trips. With my old T5 camper van now 'writen-off' I am looking for a replacement, and considering a bespoke van conversion. There are lots of good options using large vehicles - VW Crafter a prime example, but the longest thing I will fit on the drive is probably another VW T5 LWB. Google has revealed a plethora of van convertors, but would I would like to know if anybody has knowledge of a good company that deliver a quality bespoke conversion, preferably in the southern half of the country?

I want the usual stuff - folding bed, elevating roof, fridge, small hob/sink (oven/grill would be nice), air-con (my biggest disappointment with the last van every time the sun came out), awning, swivel seats, maybe a heater for winter, etc - but with the addition of a 'bike garage'. This is primarily for security, but also a nice way to keep all the tools/parts/etc handy for the usual fettling! I don't need a loo, TV, UV lights or ultra-bling mobile-disco vice wagon, that dominate the classifieds!

I was impressed by Hannah Barnes new van, which is close to the sort of thing I'm after, but Vanguard are at the opposite end of the country from me.

http://www.hannahbarnes.co.uk/2014/07/vw-t5-conversion/
Dave42w

Re: Bike Specific Campervan Conversion

Post by Dave42w »

Have you looked at Bilbo?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

We have a T5 swb from Hillside Leisure in Derby (is that south enough?) about 2 miles from where I live. They do all sorts and they do specific conversions as they have at least two assembly lines now. The rear portion of there standard LWB conversion has a toilet / shower arrangement but that could be your bike space for instance. They buy s/h vans or you can provide your own as well as new builds.

http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/
tremonti

Post by tremonti »

I'm interested to see people's suggestions on this thread, I'm going to be in the market for this sort of thing, couple of years away yet mind, but I've started planning!
Soarlikeaturkey
Location: Abducted by aliens (returning to London after the probe)

Post by Soarlikeaturkey »

On a semi serious note... We should pool resources and buy an old double decker to P.I.M.P. As a roving tour base! That would be the coolest. In fact... Might do it alone. The ultimate mobile home!

I've been wondering what would be the best vehicle and the T5 sure looks a good choice. Had looked at considering a Sprinter or Ford transit. Is there a particular lure to the T5?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bilbos look like a quality conversion, but doesn't match my criteria and very expensive. Hillside also look good, but quite what I'm after. The T5 LWB is very desirable due to the VW heritage, but not as well built as you might expect of the ludicrous second hand price - the cockpit on my old van had loads of stuff break. I think there are much better options with larger vehicles like the Merc Sprinter / VW Crafter (essentially the same thing), but large vehicles present their own problems, and wouldn't suit my domestic situation!
Soarlikeaturkey

A friend of mine did up an old 1950s Dodge Mowag and toured the U.S. in it. vaguely exciting to renovate and cheap to buy but what the renovations would cost unless you're an engineer...

Think we'll all be looking at sensible van conversions instead tho... It's all about the bikes!
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

I have had bespoke conversion done by complete camper conversions in Hull. The guy who runs it, Rich, is excellent and great fun.

Have a look at his face book page to see what conversions he has done. He is will regarded and had made the front page of quite a few of the VW magazines.

If you want me to send some picture of work that he has done for me, let me know.

Also as he is bespoke you don't have all of it done. He will do part of you then want to carry on with DIYing some of it.
Soarlikeaturkey

That's vaguely exciting. Thanks for the referral. I will check it out tomoro and fear the compulsion and sleepless nights of the new project it inspires! Fortunately that's not a timed deadline unlike the souped up Pugsley I shall give to "me" at Christmas!!

Currently running my old and lovely short wheelbase Nissan Terrano. Just wondering if and how I could further pimp the back end.... Buy a caravan! DOH
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

T5 lWB is a good base - I went for a 2.5 140ps version - 6 speed box is reasonably economical :grin: Lots of room for 3 bikes inside.
Used the Reimo importers in Kent (http://www.conceptmulti-car.co.uk/ - Hillary is great, good advice and very accomodating) - drove it down, dropped it off and collected it a month and a bit later all done. Been great since - no issues with fittings/electrics at all.
Electric only fridge that can be run off the leisure battery is great (makes ice too for a nice touch). Solar panel can keep the leisure battery in good nick for at least a long weekend so no hook up needed on basic sites etc.
Diesel heater is good for winter nights and I can even put it on time so it's nice and toasty getting changed after a winter night ride/cold day on the beach with the kids.
It's been great having it although I'll admit it's a luxury buy.... but it has also just taken a load of crap to the tip too :cool:

ImageT5 Campervan Complete 5 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Chimp - Looks very nice. I've never had a problem with the leisure battery when parked up for a few days, but I only need it for fridge & lighting. Where do you store your bikes when the bed is deployed? I was stopped in my T5 by the police near Crickhowell a few years ago, looking for vans full of stolen bikes from an event being held there. Don't like leaving mine overnight on a rear rack after that!
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Lots of design layout ideas here http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/camperv ... anner.html

By far my favourite, because it has proper bike storage with a sleeping loft above it, is the Crafter conversion. I have a T5 and it seems very difficult to achieve the same separate proper storage in the smaller size van.

Brian
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Reminds me of this, which may provide some inspiration. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Landy-Like ... -2014.html

Video at the bottom.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ZDB - no specific bike garage in mine. With two bikes they can go under the bed when it's down and in the front - not too much fiddle in a LWB - kids bikes stay on the rack at the back and locked on it. Got an internal Thule fork mounting rack that fit either in the back or begind the front seats when it's slid back. No rear windows so it's all out of sight if need be.
I wanted to keep the interior fit out all to one side really... the main bed is a Reimo one that slides forwards so the kids travel like it's a car (and it's all crash tested German engineering etc.). The bed also comes out (it's heavy mind!) so I can still use it as a van too if I need loads of load space.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

My Van wasn't designed specifically for bike carrying. I have a Thule towbar bike carrier, which I am happy to carry them around on.

I haven't got the Remo equipment, nice but pricey. There are alternatives, but the rear seats should be crash tested, the last thing you want in a crash is the rear seats being pulled out of the floor mounting points.

If you were going bike specific, there are single rock n roll beds, which would allow plenty of space for a bike, a lot of the motor cross riders use this set up. This limits your options though. Mine is my main car, so not a luxury. The Van does around 40 to 42mpg, on motorways at 70mph. This is my main type of driving.

The cost was similar to a estate car, but I have the ability to go camping with the kids (with an awning attached to the Van), have days out where we can hide out when the weather turns and go to cycling events the night before and sleepover. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

I also spend a few days each month working in London, so I drive the Van down and stay at a campsite near a train station. The cost is around £13, which compares to £150 at a Travelodge in the City.

Oh, one other thing, there is a vibrant VW scene, with loads of music festivals - they are great fun!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

This is the way ahead:

http://www.traipsingabout.com/2013/11/2 ... re-mobile/

The price of T5 campers is now beyond a joke, especially given the quality of most conversions and how much of a compromise they inevitably are; these less fashionable wagons offer a more practical solution for the biker.

Don't know why it's taken me so long to realise I don't need a standard conversion with rear passengers seats and lumpy beds; a minimalist kitchen, loft bed and bike garage is all that is required. As I have neither the skills, tools or time for a DIY conversion, i just have to find a van craftsman who can realise this vision.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Can't really help with advice about the conversion, as my T5 is a camper with a bike rack, but am interested in your written off van. How written off is it, and do you still have it? I could do with a gearbox for a 2.5.....

Vans to your spec - I'd look at transits and crafters.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:This is the way ahead:

http://www.traipsingabout.com/2013/11/2 ... re-mobile/

The price of T5 campers is now beyond a joke, especially given the quality of most conversions and how much of a compromise they inevitably are; these less fashionable wagons offer a more practical solution for the biker.

Don't know why it's taken me so long to realise I don't need a standard conversion with rear passengers seats and lumpy beds; a minimalist kitchen, loft bed and bike garage is all that is required. As I have neither the skills, tools or time for a DIY conversion, i just have to find a van craftsman who can realise this vision.
Thats a nice conversion! We have a fairly standard short T4 with full width bed/3 rear seats kitchen module behind drivers seat, passenger seat spins. Its perfect as we have two kids to bring also...

If you are looking for a company to do a partial conversion - http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/ are good, I've seen their work and would be happy to have used them. but we found a pre-converted bargain from a friend instead...

The one thing I would agree with from that article is thermal insulation and ventilation. Its so, so worth spending the time (or money) to get your van insulated properly. And basically impossible to do once it fitted out!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: The price of T5 campers is now beyond a joke, especially given the quality of most conversions and how much of a compromise they inevitably are;

Yes, but....

Depending on how long you plan to keep one, and whether you're getting a pre-done conversion, or doing your own, there's a couple of things that might offset that.

1. they do hold their value, so whilst you pay more for one, you also sell for more (depending on timescales etc.)

2. The aftermarket, there are oodles of designs and bits and pieces bespoke made to fit the t5 camper, which makes life a lot easier than doing lots of CAD (cardboard or computer) and making your own campervan bits for an unusual van.

3.I bet there's more tuning bits available for a t5 (remaps, uprated manifolds, suspension, bracing etc.) depening on what you want.

That said, I'd do a bit more research if it were me personally - I've got an inkling I'd get a sprinter, but I really dunno if I could put up with van performance...it would have to be a fast van !

p.s. here is a link to a home done T5 van to campervan conversion build thread that I enjoyed: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mper+build
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Zippy, if you get the right sprinter they are quick.

Having spent months looking at vans, we ruled out a t5 as to small.

Sprinters are a much better size if you want to have any comfort.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Saw this link today, as an ex joiner I quite like bits of it, especially the under floor storage bits

http://van.littlethings.com/van-mobile- ... ign=houses
Chew

Post by Chew »

From the first pic it looks to be steam powered :shock:

Although the party pic further down, the guy on the left looks like he's enjoying the hospitality :wink:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I suspect that party wagon has a few other secret compartments, full of 'gear'!

Slarge - afraid the write off van is sold now; probably rebuilt and back on the road...

Zippy - no need for speed; years of fast vehicles have purged my sytstem of that, and no van on the planet could match some of those wild rides.

Having had both a T5 and T4 in the past, I know they are decent wagons and very versatile, but I just think the VW campervan bubble is underpinned by myth rather than value, especially in the last couple of years. Reckon I can get a newish Sprinter for under £20k and a bespoke conversion for another £10k. Not cheap, but having trawled the classifieds since last May, I would struggle to get a T5 conversion for that, without compromising on age/mileage and it would not be bike specific.

Another fab bike-camper (albeit a bit too long for me):

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2012/02/24/t ... onversion/
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Guy Martin (he's one of us now?) prefers Transits: http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/gu ... 2-h2-2015/
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Now a certain kind of person has a Transporter, with fake Hawaiian flowers hanging from the rear-view mirror and Fox Racing or Cannondale stickers on the bottom right-hand side of the back door. Why do they feel they all have to do that? What is going on in their heads? I want to know.
:lol: :wink: