Silwing pole and net

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Silwing pole and net

Post by Charliecres »

I've tried mine with my 110mm / 70mm poles and it'll be good for hunkering down but a bit low for anything more pleasant. I'm thinking 130mm is probably a good compromise and will allow me to lower it if necessary by slanting the pole but does anyone have any real world experience or advice.

Also, I seem to remember a thread about midge nets to use under a Silwing. Has anyone got any experience or recommendations? The Trekker Tent inner looks like it might do the job rather nicely but I'm not sure if there's enough head and wriggle room to make it significantly better than a tuck-under net like the Sea to Summit.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Silwing pole and net

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a while since I played about with one but yes, I recall it really needed a long front pole but also something quite long at the rear ... if you wanted to maintain some kind of headroom along the length and not end up with a wedge :wink:

If you look at this, there isn't too much difference in pole height.

As for an inner, this has to be worth a punt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-anti- ... 1c4aecce9b
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

'Ray young' on here uses 130cm (dunno how I remember this, rainman) bought from Stu. He'll have posted a pic on here of it if you do a search
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi. Yes, I used a 110 on the front for a while then came to the conclusion that a 130 would be better. It gives a nice amount of extra height to sit under and opens up the front end nicely taking full advantage of the 2 person size. If you need to hunker down then dropping it on the pole is no problem. A 70 cm is fine for the back or use a front wheel. Stu supplied the extra length DAC pole without problem at a good price.
The difference in the photos is not immediately obvious but look carefully and you will see the higher and wider front.
ImageNew Pole 001 by youngray50, on Flickr
ImageNew Pole 002 by youngray50, on Flickr
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

PS I have a full length midge net that pegs out around the base and hangs from the front pole. Will post a pic tomorrow if i have time to set it up, post pic etc.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks all, very helpful. That ebay nest looks good but maybe a bit heavy. What's your net Ray and does it work well?
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Charliecres wrote:Thanks all, very helpful. That ebay nest looks good but maybe a bit heavy. What's your net Ray and does it work well?
It weighs 435 grams in the stuff sack and not the 600 + as stated on ebay
I bought one a while back fits a sil shelter spot on but have not tried it with my silwing .
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Interesting. How small does that nest pack down Wingnut?
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Charliecres wrote:Interesting. How small does that nest pack down Wingnut?
It packs (compresses ) down to about 15cm by 12cm in a dry bag but not in the original stuff sack (the stuff sack it came in is big enough to fit two in ).
The back of the bug mesh inner has a tie out loop to fasten to a rear pole and lift the mesh creating more space ,also the pegging points can be tied out to the pegs used to secure the tarp .
Attachments
Sil 1.jpg
(155.78 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Sil 2.jpg
(150.55 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Cheers, Wingnut. That looks like a bargain.