Anyone only cook with solid fuel?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone only cook with solid fuel?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wondering if anyone chooses solid fuel as their sole weapon of choice?

I've had a little play around with it before and found in the right circumstances the results weren't as bad as I'd expected. I'm about to embark on another solid fuel adventure so just wondered what other peoples experiences were.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Re: Anyone only cook with solid fuel?

Post by didnothingfatal »

My first campstove was a solid fuel burner that folded out, got it from the Scout shop as a teenager with a army surplus pan. It worked but I think nowadays it isn't worth the hassle with modern stoves being so efficient. I'm definently moving towards the view for most UK mountain trips unless it's below freezing and snowy gas is by far the best way to go. Meths is ok but gas is so much easier.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know the type you mean, think there's one laid about here somewhere.

I'm thinking something stupidly light, maybe carried as a backup for whatever else is used. Possibly even use both at the same time, gas / meths etc for brewing or boiling water and solid fuel for simmering ... we'll see ;)
didnothingfatal

you thinking titanium esbit? What with the number of ti frames failing, I'd be worried my simmering dinner would be laying in a field :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

@ DNF I had thought about a Ti Esbit or perhaps something along the lines of the thing I made on the WRT blog ... 3g of solid fuel goodness!
didnothingfatal

After my night on WRT my decision is definently gas from now one, but then again a commited tent user came home and ordered a tarp and a bivvy, so ......................
paul78

Post by paul78 »

I only use a ti esbit stove in the UK ...

Can get stove, fuel, cup, spork etc into an Alpkit ti mug.

Recently found that you really have to use genuine Esbit fuel for it ... other solid fuel just isn't as good... one Esbit stove boils up a full Alpkit mug of water quick enough for me.

Using some baking foil as a mat and windshield for the stove I can get a hot drink anywhere .. even marshalling lakes epic near top of Helvellyn :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was surprised in the past just how well solid fuel can work ... given the right conditions and a little care.
didnothingfatal

Is esbit different to hexamine?
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

After years of meths (Trangias) and a couple of years of gas I'm now a commited solid fuel enthusiast on lightweight solo trips. As Paul said above you can get it all in a small Ti mug (a Snow Peak 450ml in my case). I've also built a lightweight stand/windshield and one small Gelert solid fuel tablet will bring around 400ml of water to a boil. Then I either use it to rehydrate some dried food or pour it into a folding cup by way of Sainsburys coffee bag. Of course, you know all about this from other forum discussions, but any excuse to ramble on about it ;-)

Piccies......