Decisions... Decisions... Decisions

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

snack_ie

Decisions... Decisions... Decisions

Post by snack_ie »

Looks like my gf will be away the last week in May, so that means I can play :-)

I have yet to ever do a bike packing trip but it's happening this year! I had wanted to do the coast to coast last year but unfortunately it didn't happen...

Anyways I have a few ideas I was thinking of doing

1. Trip along the West Coast of Ireland

Being Irish, and admittedly not having seen much of Ireland this is one that appeals to me, but the lack of trails/more on road, doesn't appeal to be in the adventure sense.

2. Coast to Coast

The plan was to do this with a mate the second May bank holiday weekend, which I would like to do, but know that I have a week off I was thinking of option no. 3. The idea of doing a multi-day adventure really really appeals as I really want to test myself physically & mentally!

3. Some sort of Trip to Scotland

I was thinking maybe of the 'shorter' Highlands Trail, but having never been to Scotland & never bike packed I might be picking off more than I can handle.

I was looking at the short trail, but I have no idea how much of this is off road versus trails versus fire road etc, and was wondering if any one can shed some light?

Basically I need a proper adventure and damn soon... I have been reading a friend of a friend's blog too much lately and I have so much envy...

http://www.theridesouth.com

Any thoughts / make a decision for me!
Fat tyre kicker

Re: Decisions... Decisions... Decisions

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

It would be option one for me,I've got this one ear marked but,
Alas,on a slow burner.....I'm half Irish with family ties still there,
Originally in Sligo. Not sure about the lack of tracks to tour the
Coast though,I was talking a while back to a guy on Facebook
How does guided trips/ bike hire on the West Coast,he said
There was plenty.Will dig out his details and post them up for
You.
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

I did the Coast to Coast (Woodcock route) last year. I carried all my own gear and camped en-route. I thoroughly enjoyed it and certainly found it a test (carrying a fully loaded bike up Black Sail Pass is a special kind of fun!).

For me the Coast to Coast provided a kind of landmark ride that sparked my imagination - everyone can relate to travelling from one side of the country to the other.

Having said that I am planning to do the Cairngorm Loop this year with a view to having a go at the Highland Trail 550 next year.

Whatever you do enjoy it, the sense of acheivement is getting to remote places on a bike and staying out in the wilds is a wonderful thing, and the scenery of beautiful parts of the UK is stunning.
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Thanks,

If you could dig out the name or have any info on trails it would be much appreciated.

N
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was looking at the short trail, but I have no idea how much of this is off road versus trails versus fire road etc, and was wondering if any one can shed some light?
Just a thought ... don't be too precious about 'off road'. On a proper multi-day trip you'll be truly thankful for smooth gravel, fireroad and even tarmac :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

What Stu said :-) Gravel and fire roads give you the 'off road' element with the added satisfaction of actually making some progress and covering some ground!
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Thanks,

Sorry I meant it more of a question, as in how much off the Highland Trail route is fire road versus hike a bike versus trails?

Any ideas? Just trying to get an idea of progress!

Thanks,

N
Chew

Post by Chew »

snack_ie wrote:Sorry I meant it more of a question, as in how much off the Highland Trail route is fire road versus hike a bike versus trails?
Quite a lot and not a great idea if you have little bikepacking experience.

Plenty of other great stuff to do in Scotland/Wales for your first trip.

Biggest piece of advice for your first trip is to start small and then work up from there. I can be quite a steep learning curve. Dont get to ambitious too soon.

I'd go for a road ride around Ireland (on my list). Easy to change your plans if the weather turns or something happens
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

As far as Scotland goes, the West Highland Way would be a pretty good introduction to bike packing as its really accessible, well serviced (plenty of places to camp/eat etc) and not too long. If driving, You can leave the car at Milgavnie station and then get the train back down from Fort William.

It takes in some cracking scenery and is pretty much all ride-able apart from about 4 miles at the top of Loch Lomond (after Inversnaid) and a couple of steep (but fairly short) push up sections at Devils Stair Case and Kinlochleven. An option is get the ferry from Rowadennan across to Tarbet and use the main road to avoid the top section of Loch Lomond. I've done both and would do the ferry/road option if I was going to do it again carrying gear.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

This time last year, I rode the west coast of Donegal. I'm Irish too. There were lots of off road sections, some very tough hike a bike sections and quiet lanes.
I have a route map and a trip report if you want a look.
The report starts here http://www.farawayvisions.com/wild-atla ... killybegs/

The route is here http://www.farawayvisions.com/bikepacking-routes/
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Very inspiring :)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'd go with the Ireland option, if the weather turns bad (which it will) you're never far from a pub :grin:

Glenn Charles (photographer for Salsa) if you can find him on Facebook, has recently completed a trip there and a bit of everything. Worth checking out
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ITV tonight, 8PM, Christine Bleakley is exploring the Wild Atlantic Way. It might or might not inspire you for your trip
landel

Post by landel »

Meant to reply sooner.

Last summer I did some of the Wild Atlantic Way as part of a Malin to Mizen trip. I covered the route between Malin to Letterkenny, Ballyshannon to Sligo and Galway to Kilrush. On different occasions, I've also cycled Killorglin to Kenmare along the coast (part of the Ring of Kerry) and Kinsale to Skibereen. There's definitely beautiful scenery all along that route and mostly on quiet country roads. There isn't much 'off road' specifically along that route but definitely plenty of adventure to be had and a great introduction to bikepacking. There are plenty of campsites along the route too and some quieter spots where wild camping could be an option if you wish. I would say not to bite off too much for your first trip. Maybe pick a section you'd like to do and divide it into a couple of manageable chunks between campsites. If the weather is against you it's handy to have a backout plan too :wink: Most importantly, go for it and have a great time :-bd
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Trains are booked!

Going to do the Welsh Coast->Coast from 17th - 20th July! Woop Woop

Managed to get tickets for £33.00 total form London

Logistics for the coast to coast through the lakes was just working out a nightmare!

Woop - time to plan & get fit now!