DIY Frame bag - MTP camo

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

richvs

DIY Frame bag - MTP camo

Post by richvs »

I made a frame bag out of some surplus MTP gore-tex trousers and cordura. Inspiration from the Wildcat custom design using MTP camo!

I attached 20mm webbing round the outside for securing to the frame with Velcro.

The trousers came with some decent waterproof zips. One pocket accesses the main compartment and the other opens into a slim pocket for maps/tarp poles/wafer thin mints.

More Images:
http://imgur.com/a/e5DKc

Taylor

Re: DIY Frame bag - MTP camo

Post by Taylor »

Good work fella.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, nice job :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
richvs

Post by richvs »

Cheers chaps.
It's the first time I've ever used a frame bag... now I realise what I've been missing.

Can't quite visualise how to make a seat pack yet though.

Apparently an easy way of making a pattern for an awkward object is to cover it in clingfilm and tape, then cut it into segments that lay roughly flat (then add seam allowance). Anyone got any other tips?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nice frame bag! I've made two seatpacks now. Both work well but the second one is a much neater job. I bought an alpkit tapered airlock drybag and used that as a rough pattern for the second one, with the idea that it would fit neatly in the finished pack. Very pleased with the result. My tips would be to take your time, make card and paper templates, measure things up to the bike as you go along and practice on scrap material before going for the real thing.

richvs

Post by richvs »

Cheers for the phot and the advice.
I've got a tapered drybag already so I've skipped a step. Just gotta work out what the rest are!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Charliecres wrote:Nice frame bag! I've made two seatpacks now. Both work well but the second one is a much neater job. I bought an alpkit tapered airlock drybag and used that as a rough pattern for the second one, with the idea that it would fit neatly in the finished pack. Very pleased with the result. My tips would be to take your time, make card and paper templates, measure things up to the bike as you go along and practice on scrap material before going for the real thing.

Nice job. Did you use any kind of plastic panel in the bottom? How did you arrange the straps for the saddle rails? Cheers
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

There's no plastic panel but it's made from heavy duty cordura so has some substance to it. Also, because a tapered Airlock fits neatly inside, you can pack this firmly and neatly off the bike and them just post it into the seatpack, which helps keep everything solid.

The straps run up from the triangular tabs on the side, inside and over the top of the saddle rail on that side and then back down to the buckle on the same tab. It's secure with very little wobble.

I worked out the strap positioning by matching up card templates to the bike. I also learned a bit from my mk1 bag which used a ladder system to allow multiple strap options. Mk1 worked fine but this is better and neater.