Weird question!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Weird question!

Post by gairym »

Ok, this request is a weird one but one for which I think the fine folks on this forum are perfectly suited (i.e. bikingly-obsessed enough to be able to offer a reasonable answer).

Here's the back-story:

I currently have a 26er main/regular hard tail and fully rigid 69er (1x9).

I would like to have a 26er main/regular hard tail and a fully rigid 29er (1x9).

Obviously this means that I simply need to buy a 29er frame and forks.

But.....I can't justify the spend (£225 for an On One Inbred 29er Vertical Dropout and £133.99 for a pair of Carbon Cycles 'eXotic' forks) right now.

So obviously I need to raise £350.

Ok, here's my enquiry:

If I was to list the following items on eBay/singletrack-forum how much do you think I could reasonably expect to receive???

(all are 26er specific)

a) an 18" On-one 'Inbred' (vertical dropout) in white, with disc and v-brake mounts and in reasonable condition (paintwork is buggered).

b) an 18" On-one 'Inbred' (slot dropout) in black (lovingly re-sprayed by Stuart), disc only.

c) a pair of Rockshox Reba SL's (100mm travel) in black, v-brake and disc compatible (work perfectly and are in good condition).

d) a pair of On-one steel rigid forks (disc only) in almost new condition.

e) a pair of On-one carbon rigid forks (disc only) in pretty good condition.

f) £100 worth of other bits and bobs.

Obviously there is no way of saying with any certainty what prices things will bring but, as a guestimation, how much do you think I'll get for the above (assuming the £100 for the other bits)?

Do you think I'd get more by building up a single-speed full bike and selling that (based on previous knowledge of eBay sales etc...) as opposed to individual parts?

The reason I ask is so that I can justify suggesting to wifey the idea of buying the On-one frame now (as there are only 2 18" left in stock) instead of waiting until after the sale of the above items.

Any guesses appreciated (be brutally honest if you don't think it's worth much).

Cheers, Gairy.
Ray Young

Re: Weird question!

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Gairym, I was watching an older style pair of on one carbon forks in good condition on e bay a little while back and they went for about £94 so your newer ones must surely get more. Sorry, can't help with the rest.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think ebay is your friend here ... STW seems okay at the moment as long as stuff is very cheap, while stuff seems to be still bringing good money on ebay. You'll clear more than enough for your 29er, Oh and it's powdercoated not painted ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

thanks guys - that's what i wanted to hear.

the unbiased third party approval might swing things in my favour - we'll see.

cheers, gairy.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

definitely sell parts not bikes for maximum cash.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I may be interested in the vertical drop out Inbred - let me know if you have a price in mind
gairym

Post by gairym »

stevemorg wrote:I may be interested in the vertical drop out Inbred - let me know if you have a price in mind
cool, will get back to you to have a chat about this when i get a chance (am too tired right now - sorry).

gairy.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Drop me a PM when you have chance - ATM I'm thinking of selling my 18inch surly Karate Monkey - either complete or as frame and forks