Bottom Bracket Fitting advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Bottom Bracket Fitting advice

Post by Zoglug »

Afternoon all,

I am currently in the process of transferring everything from my 456 over to my inbred and have come a little unstuck at the BB. I have transferred it over exactly as it was on my 456, including the 3 plastic black rings (2 on the chain side, 1 on the other) but now the cranks dont seem to go right through. Im assuming that these rings are the problem but am unsure if i should remove them all or just one. Below should show the rings:-

Any advice would be great! :-bd
Sussex Paul

Re: Bottom Bracket Fitting advice

Post by Sussex Paul »

Yep, sounds like you've got too many spacers in there. The number you need is dependent on the width of the bb shell on the frame. This should give you the number you need

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... lation.pdf
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure quite what you mean when you say that the cranks don't go all the way through ... do yu mean that the crank spindle seems too short?

Is the BB shell the same width on both frames, ie 68mm or is the 'new' frame 73mm?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

s8tannorm wrote: do yu mean that the crank spindle seems too short?

Is the BB shell the same width on both frames, ie 68mm or is the 'new' frame 73mm?
Exactly this! The crank spindle was too short and i couldnt get the none drive arm on. After playing about, it is a 73mm shell rather than 68mm which the old 456 is. So i took a spacer from either side and it is now a happy bunny! :-bd Its certainly an experience building this!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had this problem as well as On One helpfully still had the inbred BB listed as 68mm when I bought mine..... :roll:
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Well, the build has gone ok! Ive been unable to put the front brake on, due to a different mount on the fork and at the moment the front gears dont work! :shock: I just cant get them to index right. If i hold the cable, the lever clicks through at it should. As soon as i hook it up to the front derailleur, its missing out the middle gear and pulling from smallest to largest. Hopefully I can sort it after tea!

All i need now is some protection for the carbon fork where the harness will attach!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All i need now is some protection for the carbon fork where the harness will attach!
I find wrapping the fork crown with an old inner tube (split it first), followed by a couple of wraps of black insulation tape does the job.

BTW: I reckon the white rims look okay :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Looks really good, white rims and all! Front end looks a little high though?
I like orange. :grin:
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Cheers guys!

The white rims look better than i thought they would and at £95 for the pair I couldnt be happier! :grin: hopefully I can pick the correct mount for the front caliper tomorrow in town.

And thanks for the tips Stu, I shall give it a go tomorrow.