Sandstone Way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

polarcherry

Sandstone Way

Post by polarcherry »

Sorry if this has been done before but I've just found out about this route and fancy doing it in May.

Anybody done it? Looks like it would be fine on a cross bike?

Anybody suggest any good campsites along the way?

Looks like a train from the end at Berwick back to the start via Newcastle is no problem.
Ray Young

Re: Sandstone Way

Post by Ray Young »

Not done it but know the area.
Trains on both lines run regularly so shouldn't be a problem.
All I can say about campsites is don't use the big site at Wooler (the one with all the mobile homes on it), it costs a small fortune!
If the west to east prevailing winds are strong it might be best to do the route south to north.
Have fun.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Karl

Post by Karl »

Riding this as part of a larger route from my house in south manchester to my sister's house in Berwick-upon-tweed at the end of this month. I'll be taking the pbw to kirkby stephen then heading over to hexham to start the sandstone way. I'll report back after.

P.s its a training ride for the htr550 so is 300miles long and 9000mtrs of climbing :-(
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I'm doing it in June. It's on my 'to do' list. I'm going to bivi on the way. From what I've heard it looks a good route.
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

I'm in Hexham (and know the guy who created the SW). Went exploring up the bottom 35km or so the other night. Not an awful lot of fun in the wet and gloop, but when its a bit drier, as it is now, it'll be fine. In fact, I might try it again...
My plan is to get the train to Berwick one morning and ride home with an easterly wind.