Questions for Gairym

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Questions for Gairym

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Gairym, was just wondering what the access laws are like in France, also what's offroad nevigation like in the Ardeche, easy, confusing or somewhere inbetween?
gairym

Re: Questions for Gairym

Post by gairym »

Ray,
Ray Young wrote:Hi Gairym, was just wondering what the access laws are like in France
In a word 'brilliant' there's no such thing as footpath vs bridleway - if it's there you can ride it!

As a rule (maybe not an official rule) you're even ok to ride private trails (i.e. are not marked as rights of way on the map).

If I'm out riding and the trail exists I use it. There'll be a 'Private - No access' sign if they really want to keep you out.

In our part of the Ardeche they have a walking festival each year during which they restore hundreds of km's of ancient trials so that they don't become lost to the community - such a great attitude.

During one of these walking festivals (I had no idea it was going on) I turned up at the top of a climb to find a table set out with maps, snacks and drinks (water or wine - none of this 'soft drink' nonsense for the French) and was expecting an ear-bashing for riding on their walking trails but instead they invited me over and gave me some booze and we chatted about which of the trails leading on from there might offer the best chance of sweet single-track riding.

In short - there isn't a over-crowding/over-use issue here and so they're just happy for people to be out using the trails (walk, run, bike, horse and even motocross/4x4).
Ray Young wrote:also what's offroad nevigation like in the Ardeche, easy, confusing or somewhere inbetween?
Again, really good. There are many hundreds of km's of way-marked trails (usually painted marks on rocks/trees - like below):

Yellow or Yellow/White are for local trails and Red or Red/White are national trails - simples!

I always take a map (IGN walking maps - which are also really really detailed) but often just see a new way-marker and just head-off in a new direction knowing that it'll lead to a village/main road at some point.

The only problem I've encountered is that sometime there's confusion about which of the trails I'm actually following as there are so many markings (if I stopped and consulted the map more there wouldn't be a problem) but this is hardly a genuine complaint.

Also, it depends on where abouts in the Ardeche you go.

The South (near the Gorge) is much more touristy and so there's a little more regulation and zealousness about who goes where (but the markings/trails are better maintained).

In the North (where we live) you can ride every day for weeks and not see another person and so you really can ride where and what you like (but there's more of a chance of ending up at a dead-end or on a trail that hasn't been cleared for a while).

I realise that this is turning into an essay but I can't recommend highly enough the riding around here!

I can offer loads more specific advice if you're looking to visit the area and if you do you're more than welcome to come and camp at our place on your way through and I could show you some of my local trails.

Hope this helps.

Gairy.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Group trip to France anyone? :mrgreen:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pedalhead wrote:Group trip to France anyone? :mrgreen:
Me,me,me, pick me. :D

Scottish access and camping laws are good too. We basically have the right to roam and camp just about anywhere. I very seldom come across walkers with bad attitude either. Having said that I only had a few run ins with people in England. One was a farmer who threatened to set his dogs on me, mtb's hadn't been in the UK long then but still no excuse. The other guy I made to look like a real idiot in front of his mates. He asked if " I had the right to be here on one of those things ". I told him that " if he learned to read the map he was carrying correctly then he would not have needed to ask such a dumb question ". I am not generally rude to selfish types like this but on this occasion he totally deserved it. His face was a picture, I think his mates realized what a burke he was being too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did a spot of riding in the Massif Central region a few years ago. It was great but I found out upon my return that wild camping in the national parks was a 'little frowned upon' ... saying that, no one saw me, so no one said owt ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

pedalhead wrote:Group trip to France anyone? :mrgreen:
Do it - I dare you!

I'd be well up for having a bunch of you here for a visit.
Ray Young wrote:Scottish access and camping laws are good too. We basically have the right to roam and camp just about anywhere. I very seldom come across walkers with bad attitude either.
Yeah, I've only ever had hassle in England and Wales (to a lesser extent) but to be fair most of those hassles have been when I've decided that I'm above the law (I'm not a fan of being told where I can and can't go).

It's the same situation I think - England and Wales have greater concentrations of people and so that, coupled with farming pressures, leads to increased friction between users of contrasting interests.

Scotland has more land and less people - hence less hassle.

Makes sense.
s8tannorm wrote:I did a spot of riding in the Massif Central region a few years ago. It was great but I found out upon my return that wild camping in the national parks was a 'little frowned upon' ... saying that, no one saw me, so no one said owt ;)
Yeah there are more rules in the national parks but, as with wild-camping in the Uk, if you're quiet and respectful then there's usually no bother.