favourite way to set your tarp up?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: favourite way to set your tarp up?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Lair with a clip-in beak and a midge net looks to me to be close to the perfect set-up for versatility, lightness and weather/bug-proofing.
I had toyed with the idea of getting an inner with a full sil' front panel, figured it might keep any wind blown rain at bay? I've got a spare one ... I might have a play :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

[quote="FLV"]quick update
lair came through from bear paw
looks really nice and the pole from stu works perfectly
all based on a garden test of course

tarp is 370g pegs 80 Pole 81

Can I ask how tall you are? I like the look of these but just concerned about suitability as I'm 6'2". I've been looking at these, the SMD Deschutes and the Trekkertent stealth for versatility.
Cheers
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi mate. I'm 5ft 11 in and it seems plenty big enough to me.

I'll try to pit it back up and have a measure later this week.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Cheers!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Right, I've had my eye on variations of these for a while now, and gonna take the plunge imminently.

I've done a bit of research on silnylon vs cuben fibre, and decided silnylon is the material of choice for me - realistically it was the cost/benefit ratio of silnylon that swayed the balance.

Anyone care to point out the differences between these and offer their opinion for me please:

1. Bear Paw - Lair http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/lair.html
2. Six Moon Designs - Deschutes http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/87-deschutes.html
3. Z Packs - Hexamid http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml
4. Mountain Laurel Designs - Cricket Tarp http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... cts_id=175

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone care to point out the differences between these and offer their opinion for me please:
In reality there's not much difference ... you pays your money, etc, etc

Isn't the Hexamid only available in cuben?

If you're considering something from MLD, you might want to look at the Little Star: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... cts_id=204
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup. Zpacks shelters are only in cuben. If sil is your call, Zippy, scratch the Hexamid.

Greetz

S.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Right first. Forgot to measure. Sorry. I'll get to it.

Zippy. I haven't used the others but the bear paw took a pasting from the wind last weekend and not only stayed up without adjustment but was up in super quick time. Rock solid.

I got some decent snow blowing under the 3 or 4 inch gap I left but that was my fault for leaving it open at the back.

Got a bit of spin drift curling in too but our pitch was one of the highest windiest exposed spots in the peak that night. I never once felt the thing was in danger of failing.

I put it up with 6 pegs and and stu's carbon pole. There are tie outs for more guys. I don't think have rigged a square tarp that wouldn't have needed fettling in the night in those conditions.

the only thought I had during the night was that jon from bear paw might have had a point that the beak might be nice on rough nights. But, it was still perfectly acceptable without.

Add to that 139 ish dollars and a 2 to 3 week delivery And I'm a bear paw fan.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I'm another fan of the bear paw lair. Not used the others.
I have the silnylon version. No beak. I have an inner as well with silnylon and mesh walls. But don't use it much.
The lair is well made. Quick turn around from ordering and has held up against all weathers over last two years. Pretty light and pack able too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I really like the look of those Lairs.

I have a spinnaker MLD Patrol Tarp that I've not got on with

I'd be interested in something light like this that I can set up quickly, but being tall and using a large neoair means I'd really like something with space. Trailstar looks to be the best option for me at the moment, particularly as I can use it with the dog without too much faff.

Tarp still the cheapest solution!
Ian

Post by Ian »

s8tannorm wrote:
In reality there's not much difference ... you pays your money, etc, etc

Isn't the Hexamid only available in cuben?

If you're considering something from MLD, you might want to look at the Little Star: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... cts_id=204
Hexamid user here for the past 2 or 3 years (time flys and I can't quite remember when I got it). I've been very happy with mine - no intention of changing it for anything else, for solo use at any rate.

Having looked at the four that Zippy linked above, the Hexamid seems to be both the lightest weight in its most minimal config (which is what I've got, sans beak, sans bug net), and cheaper than the others.

I don't get why MLD stuff is substantially more expense, for the same materials and design principles. Reputation I guess.

Anyhow, to sum up, I say probably MLD if money no object, Z-packs for light weight and Cuben, Bearpaw for silnylon. Other opinions may differ ;)
Matt

Post by Matt »

If it's the Cuben thing, the first use I think was on the Brecon Bivvy ride we did, that is a long time ago now!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

OK, I've literally almost just pressed "pay" on a hexamid. But then I saw the solo-plus hexamid which looks a bit roomier for only a bit more money and only a bit more weight.

So I've obviously done a bit of looking around on t'internet, but how do you all find the size of the standard hexamid? Dimensionally appears pretty identical to the lair. :geek:

Ta :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I didn't really find any difference between the two ... both had enough room.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

After much time ummming and arrrring, Hexamid purchased.

What accessories now? I have a 110cm alu pole from Stu... should I consider a longer one? Some lightweight dyneema chord I spose I should get, and I might consider this bath-tub groundmat thing instead of a bivvy (shall probably stick to the bivvy bag though). This budget creep thing is deadly, never thought I'd buy anything in cuben fibre :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

110cm pole is too short, it'll pitch horribly.

I'd stick with a bivvy as you still get the odd drip or spash inside due to the open front. I had a bathtub with mine but generally didn't bother with it.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:110cm pole is too short, it'll pitch horribly.
ZPacks webbysite says 122cm. So If I got a 130cm, I can just slant it to get down a bit - or would you suggest a higher than that pitch generally?

Stu - can I have a carbon one like Dave's made then please :grin: 42cm is the longest I can comfortably fit in my frame bag, so maybe best in 4 sections? Let me know how much and I'll ping moneys through :cool:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'll measure my pole. Pretty sure it's shorter than zpacks specified, not longer. Stiffness is important - their own one flexed horribly, so I got a thicker diameter one and it's been fine.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu - can I have a carbon one like Dave's made then please :grin: 42cm is the longest I can comfortably fit in my frame bag, so maybe best in 4 sections? Let me know how much and I'll ping moneys through
Zippy, if ZPack say 122cm then I'd go for 124cm ... the extra 2cm will help if the ground isn't quite flat.

A 4 section, 124cm pole will have a folded length of 34cm. If you'd like one, it'd be £30, paypal is stuart(AT)forestfreeride.co.uk
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cheers Stu, I'll hold fire for the moment I think.

My Longest current pole from you is 112cm. For the additional 10/12cm required I think I can just add a sleeve quite neatly and easily (to be confirmed :lol: ). I think I'll also wait and see what length Ian's pole is (stop giggling at the back), and I think Jack (Numplumz) has a hexamid too. I'll also wait until I get the tarp and have had a play, and therefore have a better idea on what I reckon is an optimised length.

So, expect me to ask you in a month for a properly made pole coz my extension idea was rubbish :lol: :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No trouble Zippy. I've used an extension in the past ... just make sure there's plenty of overlap between the 2 :wink:
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

MLD cricket tarp requires 2 poles rather than the 1 pole option of the others.

I recently picked up a 2nd cricket tarp off Outdoors magic but not had chance to use it yet. Drum tight pitch is very easy though (garden pitch). Stu's carbon poles make two poles not really an issue either.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So my USPS Package Tracking says "Customs Clearance" dated 16 March 2015.

What's various peoples experience on here of stuff from abroad/customs etc. before I start phoning around places asking where my package is. I was expecting a note through the letterbox if I had to pay customs and would hope to pay online - but that would be a bit too efficient wouldn't it :roll:
Would be good if i could test it this weekend. :ugeek:

EDIT: I've since found out that the USPS tracking number can be used on the parcel force site to track it's progress once in the UK. So I now have to wait for a letter to tell me to hand over more money in the name of bureaucracy :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rank amateur here, bear [bones] with please ;-). Sorry in advance for long post too - bored decorating! Re tarp setup, got Rig7 and DD Superlite 3x2.9 (couldn't make my mind up, sigh), 2mm dyneema red/yellow, mini lineloks, Ti pegs, along with (winter) Drishell PHD bag, Synmat UL7 + pillowpump (need the luxury at my age), plus double tyvek sheet - save weight on bivi since tarp large, Drishell bag and pull tyvek over bag end for rain splashes. Splashed out on Stu carbon pole 110x2. Mm-mmm. Well, you never know when a nice stiff pole during the night could come in handy do you?

Anyroadup, have looked round forum for people's lines setups but couldn't see owt - maybe not looking hard enough. Holy grail ("ask me the questions bridgekeeper I am not afraid"... etc etc) of lines would seem to be minimum weight and pack size plus maximum flexibility for all situs. Guess that's covered by something like 4x2m and 2x4m with no lineloks, carabiners etc and just knot each time as you go - bowline and tautline or whatever.

However I reckon lineloks are worth it to save time so have installed on all. Also bung a permanent loop at the other end (bowline, buntline, whatever). With pegs and poles; could do any of A-frame, lean to or V; and I ended up with basic 4x1.5m for corners plus 2x4m for 1 or 2 ends. Either peg corners direct or use 1.5m line. Ends to poles then ground peg. For speed, stick whole bowline through tarp eye, then pull linelok end through with larks foot. Bung linelok end round peg, pull tight, easy.

But.... for fun would be interesting to have a pre-made line setup that is flexible for trees, rocks etc at different distances as well as for pegs. What do you reckon to: 12 x 1m with linelok and perm bowline. You could then do several A-frames easily:
- corners direct to ground. Both ends: bowline thru tarp tag with linelok end larksfoot right through it, clovehitch round pole. Attach second line to first: bowline larksfoot round linelok end of 1st line then 2nd linelok end round peg to adjust.
- same as above but one line at each corner with peg.
- then for a tree: two lines connected as above, but linelok pushed to end of 2nd line and that end clovehitches+slipperyhalfhitch round tree.
Lots of 1m lengths can easily be joined for any length situ & adjusted with any of the loks.

Or maybe just easiest to do adhoc knots after all, sigh! Interested to hear what you think, thanks for reading.

Reggie Perrin
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mike

Post by Mike »

A favorite pitch of mine however totally unpractible to get in or out of!! only to be used in extreme winds

I'll call it the " low rider " :lol:
Possibly the worst tarp pitch ever, but it worked ( can be pitched naked to )