RobMac

Re: Bivvy a month 2015

Post by RobMac »

FLV, aard core or what :YMAPPLAUSE:
FLV

Post by FLV »

RobMac wrote:FLV, aard core or what :YMAPPLAUSE:
That would mark of this parish. I had a tarp.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Looks like a cracker. I've ridden a lot this week but not done February yet...
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

2/2 - Got February's in. Sub zero, but not as cold as a recent Dartmoor bivi. I skied out into the Nordmarka (forest north of Oslo) along the 'street lit' trails until I left them and steered by head torch. A navigational error meant I didn't end up where I'd intended, but it all looks the same in the dark, so I plotted up on some firm snow under the partial shelter of a tree, and settled down in my snug, toasty down bag just as it started snowing. However, several hours later I awoke in a damp bag of sweat. I was still warm but very clammy, so I think I'd better start looking for a more breatheable bivi bag, as this is the second time it's happened in recent weeks. If it was a multi night trip I'd of been in a spot of bother. I took my MYOG solid fuel stove with me, but didn't use it as it would probably've sunk down into a three feet of snow as it heated up. Next time I might do what the Norwegians do and take a light shovel to dig down into the snow to prepare a bed. I woke up again about 0730, packed up and wandered through the forest until I found a skiable trail back.

So, who needs one of those new-fangled fatbikes :wink:

ImageNordmarka Bedroom by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageGentle Downhill by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageMonday Morning Ski Home by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageErleh Brejforst by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageSki Routes #oslo #tryvann by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr
Ian

Post by Ian »

February done for me - 2/2. Didn't want to leave Finland without having got a bivvy in. Hooked up with a couple of other racers: Evan Simula and Antti Simonen. We rode up some trails I'd ridden with Nigel last week, but explored a bit further north until we got to Sinettajarvi lake, which the race went across. Here there was a small open sided shelter and lots of firewood. We followed the race course back to Rovaniemi, cutting a new track into about 2 inches of fresh snow that had fallen overnight. Hard, but fun :grin:

Sinettäjärvi Bivvy by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Ride here, with some more pics linked to Instagram: https://www.strava.com/activities/259170219
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

With the end of Feb approaching can I check whether non-bike bivies are allowed?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:With the end of Feb approaching can I check whether non-bike bivies are allowed?
It's your rules Dave so do what you want. I have always included a few non bike bivy outings. For me it's about spending a night out each month to experience the change in conditions over the year
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With the end of Feb approaching can I check whether non-bike bivies are allowed?
I think they've always been excepted, actually I think garden bivvys are allowed :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:I think garden bivvys are allowed
To quote Mr Goldsmith it has to be someone else's garden
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Chew wrote:
s8tannorm wrote:I think garden bivvys are allowed
To quote Mr Goldsmith it has to be someone else's garden
I think he lives near me. Maybe I should sneak into his back yard on Friday night.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Dave if I weren't working you could of came and slept in my back yard, I'd of got the chimena fired up and u could of had bacon sanies in the morning! But all this is a could as I'm at work :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mike wrote:Dave if I weren't working you could of came and slept in my back yard, I'd of got the chimena fired up and u could of had bacon sanies in the morning! But all this is a could as I'm at work :lol:
There's always next month....

I'm probably going to go out on foot Friday night and see just how light I can go. All my old tramping days were done with a tent and bloody great rucksack so it will be an interesting experiment.
gairym

Post by gairym »

1st bivi of 2015!

Val Ferret, Italy.

Great ride up, nowhere in the trees less than waist deep in snow (and no shovel) so retreated to a little to an abandoned village and took shelter under an overhanging roof.

Spoke to a fella who is the only person still living in the village and he said that the night before was -14°c and windy as hell (he offered to give me food in his cabin).

Later he arrived (having xc ski’d 1km from his place in the dark) with a bottle of local beer which he thought I might like – what a thoroughly nice bloke!

I don’t think it got down to -14°c but it was mighty cold all the same and so I got up nice and early and made it home in time for breakfast.

Bring on March…..

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At least you had better luck with the locals this time :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

For sure, couldn't have been more different.

The more I see the two countries the more it seems that Italians are a happy and friendly bunch and the French are a bunch of.....(let's just say not so much happy and friendly).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That looks glorious Gairy :cool:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

2/2

Left it late and decided on a local 24 hour ride from home. Was all going so well and had a late stop at Hcks Lodge which is open until 9pm on a Thursday. About half a mile from the cafe I had a puncture so went back to sort under the canopy and borrow a track pump. Setting off I had gone a bit further and anothe rpuncture in same wheel and had to use my second tube. I found a thorn the first time but not the second time. Dodgy tube fix? Both punctures were in the rear but both times I fouled the wiring for the Revo on the front meaning a second stop.

Not far from HL I had an eejit in a Range Rover wait until I was on the junction before starting to pull out, fortunately for me be saw me late and braked in time.

Some miles later going up a steep, narrow poorly surfaced lane I drifted to the edge of the road and my wheel caught in a rut I couldn't see bringing me down on the elbow I fractured last July. I landed a lot harder than last time but other than a slight twinge all was good though a little bruised today.

I stopped a few miles later near Foremark reservoir and camped in the trees and the next morning popped into the visitor area to make coffee with ginger Ready Brek, chia seeds and goji berries. This kept me going to the outskirts of Derby where I had second breaakfast of bacon and egg roll, Belgian waffle with chocolate and ice cream (it is almost the Classic's season) and two coffees. Roll on March.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

2/2

Little local one, grabbed literally just a rucksack, sleeping bag, rollmat, pillow and Bivvy bag, then walked about 25 mins from house to somewhere I know from walking the dog. Bedded down at about 2230, although it's a bit noisy because it's Essex innit and could hear cars and aeroplanes and stuff. I might also have spotted some local squaddies on an overnight exercise with little red lamps and night vision glasses - they left me alone though :lol: Woke up to the sound of local farm animals and birds, wandered back home.

Bivvy - Feb by zippyonline, on Flickr
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

2/2 for me, and another local one. Me and a mate slogged through the sticky clag that's everywhere at the moment to this relatively dry, cosy spot under some tall pines. We got home just before more heavy rain arrived. Hoping March's bivy will be a bit further afield.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

2/12 done.

Took my parents out my mum insisted she braught a pillow!

Plenty wind and plenty rain had me out to adjust pegs and at one point using my knees as an aditional pole. So not much sleep for me!

Feedback was.

Dad pretty positive about the whole thing and loved the idea of a tarp for size and open front for cooking and watching.

Mum was pleased it rained and was a bit miserable but ultimately claimed it was pointless as she slept right through she might has well have been in bed. I think she was joking.

Me I had about 4 bloody hours of sleep. But on a positive side my two season bag is warmer than i expected!
Chew

Post by Chew »

2/2

Playing Russian Roulette with the weather of leaving it to the last minute.

A quick stroll t'other side of valley, to find a suitable place out of the wind. Managed to miss the rain as well.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

2 for 2

Like chew, was a bit of a gamble weather-wise but turned out dry but very windy.

Snuck into a local nature reserve at about 10.30 last night after supper at a friend's house.

Bivvy-ed amongst the snowdrops - with a leave no trace ethos I found a flower free space so I didn't squish then...

Home by 6.30 am to find myself locked out, so another hour and a half's kip in the car until family awoke.

Had to use the car as I can't bivvy in the garden coz the cat will climb over it and trash it with its claws...

Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

2/2...rode south from Caersws and crashed in a barn somewhere on a hill south of Elan Village with Composite. Sheddin' it down in Mid Wales this arvo...got hailed and sleeted on then caught in some semi-biblical rain. Time to break out the Nikwax. Was going for 3/3 tonight, but C. has biomech. issues so the trip was cut short.

Greetz

S.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

2/2 As newbies we didn't stray too far, as we live on the Isle of Wight there's not very far we can stray. Managed a 22 mile ride out, but left late on Friday night so after stopping at a chippy on the way we didn't get to our spot until midnight, by which time it was raining. A hastily pitched tarp which flapped in the wind all night, near to the radio mast which is also surprisingly noisy! The weather wasn't any better in the morning, not actually raining first thing but quite heavy on the ride home, which was fortunately only 6.5 miles. Still enjoyed it and so did the wife. Ours looks a little tame compared to some on here though!

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger