For the armchair SPOT watchers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: For the armchair SPOT watchers

Post by jameso »

Saw Steve out and about today, wasn't sure at the time but checked his spot page and the time and it must've been him, red VRC(?) top at 2.40pm near Winslow.

Keep pedaling Steve!
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Confirmed he's round our house next Tuesday, better get the mountains of food in then.
Ready for a low sleep night.
A bit sudden, but really looking forward to providing support, I'm guessing you had to cancel James. :sad:
The old git in the yellow socks
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

He's on schedule as well (early doors) and as of today 123 miles ahead of Tommy Godwin. His main rival sets off on Sunday. Steve is going to have a challenging few days now with this weather. Don't expect much convo Jack ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Don't expect much other than eating and sleeping Dave :lol:
Had a brief chat with him last week on the bike, so I know the form
The old git in the yellow socks
jameso

Post by jameso »

numplumz, thanks for stepping in. Came down with a cold yesterday, feel crap this evening. Had to let Mike know as soon as I realised I was ill, may well be ok by Tues but it's a risk. Friday may also be out but I reckon all will be ok by then. Mike knows the door's open for him anytime we're home.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've been keeping a bit of an eye on this...

18 days and 3376miles :shock:

that pretty much what i rode all of last year, granted much of it off road and with more than my share of hike-a-bike, but even so it does put what steve is doing into perspective
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

ianfitz wrote:18 days and 3376miles :shock:
My knees ache just thinking about that!

Greetz

S.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Is anyone here still following this? Steve has done 9218 miles as of yesterday at an average of 188 miles per day.
Kurt, the American in Florida who started 10 days after Steve, is averaging nearly 202 miles per day.
Incredible performances from both so far, looking forward to seeing what happens as our weather improves.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Steve did comment on one of his rides on strava to expect 300 mile days in the summer!
Last edited by mountainbaker on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still keeping tabs here, it makes my head and knees hurt just thinking about it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

And here too. Its quite the feat.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Yes, watching with interest. Steve's average speed is faster than my commuting speed which is a considerably shorter distance, and I get a rest at weekends - it's genuinely insane :shock:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Steve's doing amazingly well and has now started upping his mileage into the 200's every day. I get a txt from his spot when he sets off and stops and it's become part of our day now. Most days he is off at 5.30am and finishes between 7 - 9pm. Imagine working those hours every day for 365 days without a break. If you want to follow progress on Twitter I tweet his daily mileage via the @yearrecord account.

Steve and I did an interview for the Bikeshow which is available at the link below if you are interested.

http://thebikeshow.net/a-year-on-two-wheels/
Mart

Post by Mart »

noticed Kurt has been putting in some consistent strong miles and although has started later has edged the miles up ahead of where Steve is.
Great to see Steve respond

Was looking at his tracker and didn't realise he was in Burton at some point. Would have sad hello if I had known.
2924 miles per Gallon
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Kurt Searvogel has broken the record for most miles ridden in a year, 75117 as of yesterday with five days to go to add to that.
Sorry if there is another thread for this but i couldn't see one. Hopefully Dave will add some detail.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It's fantastic to see this record alive again and Kurt has two chasers. Steve Abraham is still going after a year, a broken ankle, illness and 63,600 miles. Steve is continuing on until August 2016 riding a concurrent attempt that started in August. He has 49,000 miles at an average of 220 a day in order to catch Kurt

Bruce Berkley has started in Australia, very strongly with 1061 miles already, over 5 rides at an average above 18mph and with a decent amount of climbing.

Also Kajsa Tylen is representing the ladies with 482.8 miles in 2016 already.

And meanwhile at the very bottom of the ladder I've managed two centuries for Jack Peterson's (numbplumbz) YCC would be nice to see a few more of you having a go, and don't give me that "I only ride for the scenery" boll*cks ;-)

http://bluedotriders.com/league/ycc/
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: And meanwhile at the very bottom of the ladder I've managed two centuries for Jack Peterson's (numbplumbz) YCC would be nice to see a few more of you having a go, and don't give me that "I only ride for the scenery" boll*cks ;-)

http://bluedotriders.com/league/ycc/
Ok I'm in. Going for somewhere in the region of 30 to 50 in a year though rather than anything stupid. :wink: