Soft Shell trousers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Langy

Soft Shell trousers

Post by Langy »

Who is using what?

Starting to gear up up for the (southern hemisphere) winter, so looking for some pointers, please.
Scattamah

Re: Soft Shell trousers

Post by Scattamah »

I'm using Endura MT500 3/4's and Defeet Woolie Boolies inside Shimmy MT81's. Gaiters over the top of the boots to keep the elements out. Plus a pair of Orca merino leg warmers for when you want just a little more warmth on the lower part of the leg.

Sometimes I'll use my summer shoes instead of the MT81's for faster dryout times and layer up with MT500 overshoes.

I'm surprised the bods on Victoria Square haven't attempted to ban rain yet. ;)

Perhaps check out the offerings from Ground Effects in NZ. They've got some good kit.

Greetz

S.
Langy

Post by Langy »

Yeah, got the 3/4s, warmers, etc. Got the winter boots etc for feet.

Just if there are any good ideas for full length trousers - rather than the faff of 5 bits of other kit to do the same!

Ground Effect just the wrong shape for me, although does seem reasonably made from what I've seen.

Online reviews only go so far, after all.

(The mob at Vic Sq haven't banned rain; but I'm sure plans are afoot to claim it all as their own before it hits the ground! :lol: )
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Fair cop...I guess I go with multi-part cause IMHO there's nothing worse than being stuck in a pair of long riding trousers and the weather clears up. Good luck with yer hunt.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How bad does it get in Oz? Surely it can't be like Wales in winter :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

s8tannorm wrote:How bad does it get in Oz? Surely it can't be like Wales in winter :wink:
I can't speak for SA, but there ain't nothin' like a Welsh winter in Queensland. I didn't have rain gear until I moved to the UK, as the winter in Qld. is mild and dry.

Greetz

S.
Langy

Post by Langy »

s8tannorm wrote:How bad does it get in Oz? Surely it can't be like Wales in winter :wink:
no, but cold enough and wet enough. nerd data for Woodside, Adelaide Hills We've had snow the past couple of winters (though it doesn't hang around) and early starts/late finishes don't help the warm and dry scenario, generally.

Opposite right now though - too hot to ride! :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Too hot to ride? I'd trade you in a blink of an eye for the hovering-near-zero here. Riding in 35+ - sure beats wearing layer on layer of gear.

Greetz

S.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

It really doesnt.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Joshvegas wrote:It really doesnt.
I guess it's just how I roll. My wife says I'm part reptile as the warmer it gets the faster I go. :)

Greetz

S.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

35 degrees and excertion has me on my hands and knees vomitting with a stinking headache.

I would pick 5-10 degrees for performance. 20-25 degrees for enjoyable sunny rides with pubbage
Langy

Post by Langy »

Yeah, it was touching 40C... with last w/end the same and most of the week in between be 33c+... not much time to recover or rehydrate. Whilst doable, not fun! Pool with the kids instead! :-bd