How to carry poles?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

How to carry poles?

Post by JohnClimber »

My Bearbones Tarp/tent pole is a little on the long side to fit in a frame bag and as I hate wearing a back pack when riding I thought about and made this "quiver" to carry them in and keep them out of the way as well.

Using 2 x P clips, 34mm tube, 2 blanking caps and a bit of sponge in the top and bottom to stop them rattling around.

Test ride tomorrow to make sure it stays in place.
Ian

Re: How to carry poles?

Post by Ian »

Neat work John.

I put mine between my front harness and the dry bag, effectively trapping it in place with the tension in the harness straps.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You could make a lovely one of those from carbon John :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My tent poles live in the tent bag/harness/handlebar bag. It's not a problem unless you're running drop bars.
barney

Post by barney »

John I'd have thought the poles would have fitted in your Alpkit frame bag, is that not the case?
Wait for me...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nice idea. I think I'd like to mount the tube a bit higher, to avoid tussock interface followed by OTB, but maybe I'm being a scaredycat.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mine go in the slot of my Ocelot frame bag just under the top tube. I'd assumed that what is was for?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

You can buy male thread adapters for the tube to use screw on lids. Use a little pvc cement to bond and it will make a good job a little neater.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

new to all this bike packing stuff and I'd been giving this a bit of thought an I thought they would fit along the length of the down tube ??
barney

Post by barney »

Dave Barter wrote:Mine go in the slot of my Ocelot frame bag just under the top tube. I'd assumed that what is was for?
Just a bit of a PSA... I ordered a framebag from Alpkit and asked them to put a couple of velco hoops in the top.

Sounds similar to Dave's in that they fit in there rather nicely and out of the way, my bag is only for a medium size frame but I went for the double zip option, I think John struggles getting his in with just a single zip at the top.
Wait for me...
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

smaller sections may fit inside the handle bars ?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

You can also put them in the seat tube (as long as you don't want to drop the seat).
drjon

Post by drjon »

if it helps, the z packs http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tent_pole.shtml tent poles break apart to very short segments and i have had good luck on non stormy days with one. that way they can pack in a normal rucky or harness etc...
Harre Hart

Post by Harre Hart »

I carry my poles attached to my downtube.
Inside an old innertube.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone requires a pole that'll fold down to a very short length, then carbon poles can be made with any length sections ... pretty much anything is possible :wink:

EDIT:
if it helps, the z packs http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tent_pole.shtml tent poles break apart to very short segments and i have had good luck on non stormy days with one. that way they can pack in a normal rucky or harness etc...
I made Scott a rear pole for his Zpacks Soloplex and I have to say, I was a little surprised when I saw his Zpacks front pole ... I'd expected something 'nicer' knowing how good their stuff generally is - but saying that, they are cheap.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Slightly off topic......

I have a lux sil minipeak and the pole I bought from backpacking light to go with it is huge. It is the thickest tent pole I have ever seen outside of a circus bigtop.

Would a normal bear-pole or carbon pole be up to the task of keeping the minipeak erect (!) in a moderate to high wind without just bending / breaking or blowing away?

Would be good to get something a bit more compact if it is up to the job.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would a normal bear-pole or carbon pole be up to the task of keeping the minipeak erect (!) in a moderate to high wind without just bending / breaking or blowing away?
What height are you setting it up at? Around 140cm?

If you are setting it around 140cm, I'd suggest a 12mm carbon pole as it won't flex as much as a DAC pole.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

s8tannorm wrote:
What height are you setting it up at? Around 140cm?

If you are setting it around 140cm, I'd suggest a 12mm carbon pole as it won't flex as much as a DAC pole.
What would a 140cm 4 section 12mm Carbon pole cost? Assuming that would result in a folded pole length of approx. 35cm.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What would a 140cm 4 section 12mm Carbon pole cost? Assuming that would result in a folded pole length of approx. 35cm.
£30, although the pole would actually be 38cm folded as 30mm needs to be added to allow for the spigots.