whats on the back, jack?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Yorlin

whats on the back, jack?

Post by Yorlin »

Been rummaging about online and looking at various sale things - and kind of curious about what sort and size of backpacks people use... in the event of Vital Shopping being done.

I have a gourdon - the small size (20L) with the bungees and the side pockets.. not quite hydration ready, but could fit a 3l reservoir in it if I needed... But pretty interested in the bigger camelbaks (though pricey) and the ospreys (also pricey but I really like the stuff they make). Is one of those aereated back things important?

What do people here use? Don't think Im quite ready to slim down to a bum bag! :-bd
Ben98

Re: whats on the back, jack?

Post by Ben98 »

I've just got the reflective version of this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x- ... e=76525512
Having had one of these:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x- ... e=76485113

The difference being the new one is more padded with a more robust fabric and a bladder pocket on the inside. Both are very very good and not just for the money, the lack of a "proper" back system means it fits to your back perfectly like a vest, very comfy. Highly recommend! :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Osprey escapist 25 to allow room for my SLR, been very pleased with it :-)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Camelbak HAWG if pushed. Really pleased to have moved on from backpacks when riding.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Camelback consigliere if I do really have to carry something on my back. That was an emergency purchase when I didn't quite have enough room for everything when doing the west highland way! It made a nice pillow too when bivvying halfway through.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ideally no packs, prefer bumbag

Alpkit Gourdon 20 for mucky trips

Commuting tomorrow and need to take my laptop in so using a Golite Ion covered in reflective tape - my commuting rucksack. Long and thin, correct back size for me and a waist strap
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A crash involving a seperated shoulder and 40 miles means I really try not to wear a rucksack if possible. I will sometimes carry a Sea to Summit sil pack for those early evening Spar stops. Works really well but I wouldn't want to carry anything remotely heavy for long ... as I discovered by carrying logs to a bothy.

If I do need to use a pack then it'll usually be a wingnut 2.5 as it behaves more like a bum bag and doesn't niggle my shoulder ... although I am oddly drawn to this TN Ultra 5 (must be the cuben) :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

I've got an Osprey Talon 22 that sees fairly regular usage, although as I know from experience it's possible to fit more than enough kit in to leave you suffering. Been happy with it though, good quality and comfy, although the so-called vented back doesn't seem to make much difference
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:A crash involving a seperated shoulder and 40 miles means I really try not to wear a rucksack if possible. I will sometimes carry a Sea to Summit sil pack for those early evening Spar stops. Works really well but I wouldn't want to carry anything remotely heavy for long ... as I discovered by carrying logs to a bothy.

If I do need to use a pack then it'll usually be a wingnut 2.5 as it behaves more like a bum bag and doesn't niggle my shoulder ... although I am oddly drawn to this TN Ultra 5 (must be the cuben) :wink:

Ahh. Well then maybe this is the perfect moment to put the one that I have in the classified section then...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't you like it Ian?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:Don't you like it Ian?

I've never used it! Too many other similar things in every size I could ever need. It was bought with some vouchers we had and didn't know what else to do with..
Ian

Post by Ian »

Is the back of it supposed to be open like that? Can't help thinking it will just collect water/ mud if used on a bike...
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

Wingnut for me too, the majority of the weight sits on your hips like a bum bag and the shoulder straps stop it from bouncing around. I tried an old Camelbak a while ago and it was awful, weight too high up, uncomfortable and more bouncy than a bouncy thing.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Another Wingnut user.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Cheers guys! The Wingnuts look interesting... That karrimor is lovely eye-melting orange though! Or an Osprey.... hmm arg :D

My gourdon is so old the roll top bit is losing its water-proofness, and I think the dog has been chewing on the buckle again. :o
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Another Wingnut user.
+1 - good big pockets for camera and valuables/phone etc.... are they still making them if it needs replacing?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

are they still making them if it needs replacing?
They are Mark and available through roughrideguide.co.uk I believe that there were a few qc issues after production was moved to the Far East, however I also believe production has since returned to the US and the quality is back.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:Is the back of it supposed to be open like that? Can't help thinking it will just collect water/ mud if used on a bike...
it's cuben Ian. One ride and it'll turn into Emmentaler, automatically letting water pass through the pack with ease.
Good concept :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

On a more constructive note, I mostly use an Inov-8 pack:
http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Produc ... A=Trail&G=

I go pack-less too if the terrain is easy. But the more technical it gets, the less weight I want on my bike to keep it nimble and flickable.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

s8tannorm wrote:
are they still making them if it needs replacing?
They are Mark and available through roughrideguide.co.uk I believe that there were a few qc issues after production was moved to the Far East, however I also believe production has since returned to the US and the quality is back.
Thanks Stu - good to hear as I do like mine and if it ever dies I'll want to replace with similar unless something better comes along (and I'll only find that here or on the blog :grin: )
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpinum wrote:On a more constructive note, I mostly use an Inov-8 pack:
http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Produc ... A=Trail&G=
Did you ever get a little plastic goldfish to put in the bladder? :lol:
slparsons

Post by slparsons »

Wingnut 2,5 or Osprey Escapist 20 for me.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

My favourite pack is the https://www.theomm.com/products/packs/classic32/.It's a slightly different one now but mine has been well used for the last 5 years and is only just starting to show signs of wear in the shape of a tear which happened from overloading it but it was easily fixed with some tenacious tape. It's got room for a 3L bladder and the back padding pulls out and can be as a lightweight sleeping mat, there's also a smaller 20L version too. In my opinion it's the best pack for carrying a load on your back when riding.