iteresting mapping resource

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

iteresting mapping resource

Post by FLV »

http://maps.the-hug.net/

it seems that you can view / use full OS mapping generally but when theyve / we've used their quota for today they have a usable substitute

"As Ordnance Survey complain to us whenever users exceed the 65000 tile a day limit they've imposed on us we have an alternative map server which we switch to when that limit is exceeded.

You have collectively used 69828 tiles today so we are now using that server and it will remain online until midnight.

This server serves the same tiles as the OS OpenSpace server for large scale maps but for 1:50,000 it uses a combination of data released by Ordnance Survey under their OS OpenData programme for the mapping and contours along with path data from the Open Streetmap project to produce tiles which we can legally serve to you without quota restrictions.

If you find that unsatisfactory for your needs please try again tomorrow"

You can upload gpx / kml, draw your own routes and down load.

The substitute mapping is still very good (its on right now, 23:50). Also, its a very full screen view

My Absolute fave button is "see maps" which tells you which landranger maps you need to cover your route.
So you can plan online and execute old style as you see fit.
adjustablewench

Re: iteresting mapping resource

Post by adjustablewench »

It's very good - you can also print from it so good for making backup maps.of your route
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Not impressed Dave, when zooming it zooms to the centre of the page rather than where your cursor is. It's just using OS openspace + OS landranger popped in inbetween, you get landranger and explorer on Bing maps...

Not impressed is a bit strong, I would give it a B+
FLV

Post by FLV »

I found it easier to use than bing.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Do not like, very clunky. I use ridewithgps for my route planning, then refer to bing for RoWs, I with ridewithgps would add a layer to load the tiles from bing though. Maybe I'll do some javascript hacking to see if I can do something like veloviewer's mapflipper for strava and get it working with ridewithgps.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've used quite a few including bikehike, they all do roughly the same job. A recent one I found is called www.outdoorsgps.com, I've been quite impressed with it. You can plot routes using ordnance survey maps down to Explorer level, save and print routes. You can also download the app on your phone or tablet and view the route you've plotted on ordnance survey Landranger level for the whole country.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

The hug is fine while where's the path isn't working. Aerial and os side by side is luxury.