Quick, get yer fat bike to Wales.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Quick, get yer fat bike to Wales.

Post by benp1 »

Interesting, thanks

Presumably with snow that thick, unless the roads are ploughed, you're pretty much stranded unless you walk?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We got out of the street OK that day. Once you're on to slightly busier roads they tend to be gritted and ploughed. However, it can drift over pretty quickly and the ploughs often have trouble keeping it all clear.

Of course, if it consolidates and stays cold, it gets even deeper and then you just hope to be able to drive/ride/walk on top of it. FWIW, this is a photo from last winter..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good lord, that must be a drift though?

Anything vaguely resembling snow down here (North London) means we're pretty much mullered, and there are so many cars around that it turns to hard pack ice relatively quickly

I've not had my mountain bike long enough to try it out in the snow, I used to run a hybrid/road based bike before and that was clearly useless - slick or semi slick tyres and no clearance.

If we get some snow here I look forward to trying it out, but then I don't look forward to the effort needed to get to work!
gairym

Post by gairym »

benp1 wrote:Anything vaguely resembling snow down here (North London) means we're pretty much mullered, and there are so many cars around that it turns to hard pack ice relatively quickly
A few years ago (2007?) I woke up one morning (in Hackney) to about 4 inches of lovely fluffiness and immediately rang in sick and went up and down the canals and rivers of east London for hours (first tracks everywhere I went) - it was joyous!!! By the afternoon it was already a slushy mess but those few early hours were epic.

But yeah, London snow generally just means misery and complaint.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Despite living less than 500m from a train station and a high street, I also live right by a massive piece of green belt. Fields, rather than a community park - so its also not very well used, look forward to trying it on the bike (its quite fun on foot!)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Stu, what are the conditions like up by you at the moment. Much snow on the tops?
Not much down here, but I see there's more forecast for tonight for Llangurig and surrounding area.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, what are the conditions like up by you at the moment. Much snow on the tops?
I think the mountain road's shut, so expect some once you start climbing up towards Glasllyn. I imagine anything else should be fairly clear.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I can confirm there is a lot of snow in mid Wales right now. Unfortunately quite a lot of it is very soft. Ups mostly pushing, flats and downs rideable with some effort
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ian wrote:I can confirm there is a lot of snow in mid Wales right now. Unfortunately quite a lot of it is very soft. Ups mostly pushing, flats and downs rideable with some effort
You mean, you're training in snow?! That's cheating... :lol: