T/T ring? What chain are you using?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

T/T ring? What chain are you using?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wondering what 10 speed chains people are using with thick / thin rings?

I had a bad experience with an On One ring and Shimano chain, I think the ring was actually at fault and the thick teeth were a little too thick :roll: Anyway, I've put that behind me and am looking to buy a new ring and I see that some manufactures recommend using KMC chains (I believe it's something to do with wider inner plates or some such).

Anyway, what are you running and importantly ... does it work without causing major chainsuck issues (I don't want to go there again) :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: T/T ring? What chain are you using?

Post by FLV »

I've done lots of miles on raceface t/t or n/w or whatever they call them with Sram Chains.

PC1091 chains have dont lots of miles, using new ones on new and part worn rings.

Also have a new 1051 chain on a very worn race face 30t n/w and it works fine, though seems a little noisy.

I do use clutch mechs though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a RaceFace NW ring and use a SRAM 10sp chain at the moment. I think the previous chain was KMC but would have to check the parts list. Only put the new chain on at Christmas so not a huge number of miles on it but not had any problems so far and didn't have any with the previous one either.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Shall soon be trying a hope one, with a KMC chain.

It was pretty good before with a velosolo 3/32 thick ring, 9 speed chain and an xtr rear mech tbh.

Now I've worked out how to keep the 9 speed xtr rear mech (with proper pivot, not the cheese thing non bushing shadow 10 speed excuse) with 10 speeds, I shall be doing this properly :cool:
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I've just been browsing on STW so i thought I'd come in with a typically uninformed "I've read this but no experience" reply :grin:

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/pages/a ... th-profile

This looks interesting to me, they seem to really have thought about the tooth profile, designing it to clear mud well and have more material where it's really needed to integrate with the chain. Would be really interested to hear anyone who's used one's opinion.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

PC1051 on the 1x10 here (e*thirteen 34-T ring). 2000+ miles on the ring, 1000+ miles on the chain.
I run an e*thirteen guide to keep the chain where it should be. Very few problems.

I've heard good things about Blackspire and North Shore Billet rings but not used them myself.

Greetz

S.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Scattamah wrote:PC1051 on the 1x10 here (e*thirteen 34-T ring). 2000+ miles on the ring, 1000+ miles on the chain.
I run an e*thirteen guide to keep the chain where it should be. Very few problems.

I've heard good things about Blackspire and North Shore Billet rings but not used them myself.

Greetz

S.
Actually, my new ring is blackspire, not race face so I can confirm both work spot on with sram chains (the blackspire is new with a new 1091 sram chain)
slarge

Post by slarge »

I only use KMC chains as they look bling and are cheapish and come with a reusable link.

On my hardtail I have 10 speed rear with a superstar narrow/wide chainring and a kmc 10 speed chain and have done 1000 miles or so with no issue. I think I have the chainring on the "wrong" side (outer) of the crank spider too for added chain misalignment
FLV

Post by FLV »

For info, sram 10 speed links are re-usable too. you just gotta know the trick with the pipe grips

plenty of vids on youtube
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

'u02sgb' my son uses the Wolftooth rings, very good, it is the direct mount SRAM type on carbon cranks. It's wearing well , clears well, only dropped chain twice since September last year but he rides considerably faster than most :wink: . I will buy again if we don't get given them, which says a lot.
Forgot to say SRAM chains here "best thing SRAM do".

Paul
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Like the rotor Q Ring I'm running with SRAM XX1, although the longevity of the other components is questionable. I'm amazed last years TD winner made it on XX1, apparently without incident.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive got an Absolute Black Oval chainring (34T) on my Sunday best and its got Thick/Thin (not that i notice with it being SS)
Very smooth running with a 1/8'' SS chain (KMC z510 hx)
2924 miles per Gallon
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Thanks PaulB, will maybe get one if I do go 1 by 10.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

u02sgb wrote:I've just been browsing on STW so i thought I'd come in with a typically uninformed "I've read this but no experience" reply :grin:

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/pages/a ... th-profile

This looks interesting to me, they seem to really have thought about the tooth profile, designing it to clear mud well and have more material where it's really needed to integrate with the chain. Would be really interested to hear anyone who's used one's opinion.
For a cheapskate like me, this will double the number of chainrings I need to use as I flip my singles over where possible to maximise life on them. You can't do that with an asymmetric design unfortunately.