Trans Cambrian Way Double?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pedalhead

Re: Trans Cambrian Way Double?

Post by pedalhead »

Nice one Stuart, that looks spot on. No reason as I see it why you shouldn't take it upon yourself to take ownership of the TCW rules & results. The important thing is that there's just one database kept, as per the SDD.

Just want to thank Rob for clarifying the SDD rules. I hassled Rob via PM to see if he could help as I figured he might know a bit about such things :D
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Are all official attempts at this going to be logged, no matter of total time?

I'll hopefully do a single-in-a-day ride this summer, but in theory I could tootle back over a further 2 days and submit my GPS track for a 60 hour double ride. Are you going to log every attempt, or put some cutoff in place to separate the racers from the also-rans?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Im not sure why the SS or geared thing should be, or need to be classed as different. It's a riders choice, just as much as 29er's are, or bright pink bikes with tassles for that matter.

As long as it's pedal power then surely it's down to the rider to decide and choose what is their most efficient choice of bike to get over the set route. The route is varied enough to make not one specific type better or worse.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

As a SS-er, I like that most events give us a separate category...it makes me feel special :D. Lol well perhaps not, but I don't think it does any harm to specify ss or geared against an attempt. The overall record is still THE record, be that on singlespeed, geared or unicycle. There's a sub-category of riders/racers out there who like to ride with singlespeed only, and I think it's good for those people to be able to race against each other on ITTs such as these. For me in any event, I want to be the fastest singlespeeder first (that'll be the day!)...then I'll worry about the overall fastest.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Im not sure why the SS or geared thing should be, or need to be classed as different
It's so that if we're the fastest out right, we can say "I only had one gear on my bike"
If we're not the fastest outright, we can say it was because "I only had one gear on my bike"

:D
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Ian wrote:
Im not sure why the SS or geared thing should be, or need to be classed as different
It's so that if we're the fastest out right, we can say "I only had one gear on my bike"
If we're not the fastest outright, we can say it was because "I only had one gear on my bike"

:D
Ok, I'll admit it. Nail. Head. :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'll hopefully do a single-in-a-day ride this summer, but in theory I could tootle back over a further 2 days and submit my GPS track for a 60 hour double ride. Are you going to log every attempt, or put some cutoff in place to separate the racers from the also-rans?
That's a tricky one but my thinking is ... anyone who just wants to ride the thing will do just that, they won't submit a time. Anyone who would like their time added to an 'official' list will most likely be classing themselves as a 'racer'. I think in the above example, there could be a time of say 13h 11m for a 1 way run but a second figure of 60h could be added to the list held for doubles. I don't feel that me or anyone else has a right to decide on a cut off time ... if it takes someone 40 hours to complete a 1 way run then that's still an achievement and if they'd like that to be recognised then I think it should be.
Im not sure why the SS or geared thing should be, or need to be classed as different. It's a riders choice, just as much as 29er's are, or bright pink bikes with tassles for that matter.

As long as it's pedal power then surely it's down to the rider to decide and choose what is their most efficient choice of bike to get over the set route. The route is varied enough to make not one specific type better or worse.
Fair point Anthony ... I think even if there was no official distinction made people would still add one (they certainly did on last years TD). How about just adding 'SS' after the time for singlespeeds and BPWT for the other ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

How about just adding 'SS' after the time for singlespeeds and BPWT for the other
SS after the name in a GC table.

What does BPWT mean? Big Puff With Taylor?
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

How exciting. I've long wondered why the TCW has receive so little attention in the recent trend for doubles? I rode the TCW 'E-W' last summer on a single speed with a bunch of kit and then 2 months later rode the BB200 with gears and less kit, the later was much tougher. So I expect to see some nutter put in a sub 11 one way ride this summer with a couple of heroic double attempts to wet the appetite.

And if you've never done this route before, take GPS with you!
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Is geared any faster in reality? I know there is very little between my carbon road bike and steel single speed road bike! Ok my legs feel fresher after a tough session but average speeds aren't that different, maybe I should pin the pedals faster though ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No reason as I see it why you shouldn't take it upon yourself to take ownership of the TCW rules & results. The important thing is that there's just one database kept, as per the SDD.
Right then ... I should have something up on the internet later this week. Don't expect too much but it'll serve the purpose, Oh and 'database' might be a bit strong ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way