2017 - Expedition bikepacking trip - Do you fancy that?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Re: 2017 - Expedition bikepacking trip - Do you fancy that?

Post by Richpips »

Here's a great list of free online maps with which my plans often take an initial shape:
http://dzjow.com/2012/04/12/free-online ... or-hiking/
Brilliant, I've found a detailed map. Thanks.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Room for a fatlad Rich?
Oh, and anymore clues.. :-bd
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Oh, it's like a good game of guess who!

looking at the spot coverage map, it's either way north (Svalbard, northern Greenland etc) or way south, tip of Patagonia, southern Africa or Madagascar.
I'll discount north because of Polar bears (shot guns etc), and I'm going to guess at Patagonia because of the stunning scenery Top Gear xmas special.

Spent 3 weeks there a number of years ago, loads of adventures to be had, I'd be interested to hear your plans.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Well it would be a good excuse for a fat bike really wouldnt it? :mrgreen:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ed1 wrote:Oh, it's like a good game of guess who!

looking at the spot coverage map, it's either way north (Svalbard, northern Greenland etc) or way south, tip of Patagonia, southern Africa or Madagascar.
I'll discount north because of Polar bears (shot guns etc)
That's why he want's to go in a group. Actually, he wanted to do the trip solo. Then he realized that polar bears not only like moldovan sausage and mars bars, but also humans. So he needs 1. a company he can outpace to feed them to the bear and 2. night watch. Perhaps not in that order. Pawky guy :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Watches with interest : )

I keep getting the urge to ride in Siberia. Tried to persuade someone to come along but have failed miserably at getting a fat bike, doing a snow race or anything like that, not sure that sort of riding appeals enough to make time and £ for it (skis or on foot - yes please, but same thing, rare to get the opportunities). Siberia or Alaska appeals because the ice roads could be relatively quick-rolling on fat 29" spiked tyres. Used to love the cold of N Wales in winter and the Alps but have a feeling that these properly remote + cold places are real ass-kickers, especially if you need to carry 2-3 weeks worth of food and heavy duty camping kit. Dragging a 60lb+ bike through a couple of feet of fresh powder? Where's Paul E .. :smile:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Oh, and anymore clues..
North.

Ignore the Spot coverage map, the word is that there isn't good coverage.
cold places are real ass-kickers, especially if you need to carry 2-3 weeks worth of food and heavy duty camping kit. Dragging a 60lb+ bike
Weather is supposed to be OK in the summer. As you say though carting a heavy bike through unsuitable terrain could be grim.

I'm just looking at possible viable routes. There are plenty that aren't. :wink:

Alpinium's last post has many truths. :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I know the answer

Not telling

Just being smug.
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

If it's the arctic in the summer, I'm less worried about polar bears and more worried about finding a bivy sack with the best protection from black flies and mosquitoes :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm hoping for Alaska, I've always fancied Alaska.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

As you say though carting a heavy bike through unsuitable terrain could be grim.
All the best rides include some hike a bike. Some :grin:

HAB for the sake of exploring if your route is flexible or unknown is fine, there's something about the unknown that makes it more about anticipation than frustration.
FLV

Post by FLV »

so its fat bike territory, I assume that a 'normal' 4" tyre type will be the way rather than the monstrous 5" breed

More likely to get a trailer to work then
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Right, I've done some homework and I think we need a plan B.

The idea was an end to end of Ellesmere Island ~520 miles.

I knew it would be expensive though not ~£8500 each in flights (based on 8 people).

Having read a number of accounts of walking, sledging, though lots of it would be rideable, there are bits that would require yoyoing to get bikes and gear across.

Bearing in mind most people have a holiday allowance, 3-4 weeks wouldn't be enough time.

Getting there is weather dependant, so we could be way behind schedule before we'd slung our legs over our bikes. I've heard of people being stuck in Resolute Bay for 2 weeks awaiting a flight out.

I could go into much more detail, but hopefully you get the gist.

Oh, and from the national park -
We are not aware of anyone having ridden a mountain bike on Ellesmere Island/Quttinirpaaq National Park.
In order to permit mountain biking in Quttinirpaaq, we would have to go through a process involving these three steps:

- Confer with National Office in Ottawa on guidelines [currently, mountain biking is only permitted on established and clearly identified trails and roads in Canada's National Parks; obviously, there are no trails or roads in Quttinirpaaq]
- Perform an Environmental Assessment
- Consult with the Joint Park Management Committee; this committee consists of members appointed from different communities in Nunavut and under the Nunavut Land Claim, we have an obligation to consult with them on new park activities as well as other aspects of park management
See new thread - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=4911
Last edited by Richpips on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

I got an idea and some maps for an interesting trip

Imageaaaaa1 by paulerrington78
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com