Flat pedals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Flat pedals

Post by Ian »

I'm in need of some flat pedals for use when I'm wearing my winter boots for the Rovaniemi. I'm looking for a fairly open design to shed snow, nice large contact area and (seeing as it's me), as light as possible. Any suggestions/ recommendations?

Also, any tips on how you remain attached to flat pedals, would be very helpful. Up until now, I've assumed it's some sort of witchcraft?

Thank you, from a die-hard clipless pedal user...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Flat pedals

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Funn Big Foot
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funn ... prod109377
Also, any tips on how you remain attached to flat pedals, would be very helpful.
Postion your foot further forward than you would usually ... 1" - 1.5" should be enough. You want the ball of your foot to be forward of the axle, this produces a 'stronger' ankle and prevents your foot coming off the back of the pedal. If your feet are coming off the side of the pedals you've allowed your knees to fully straighten - only takes a second if it's rough.

Everyone will say 'drop your heels' ... don't. Save that for when you're braking, not as part of your JRA position.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've got Fatties Flatties which seem to be among the lightest - not tried them in snow yet but they keep pretty clear of mud. Not as expensive as DMR Vaults, Hope and the like.

Having moved from SPDs to flats this year, the trick seems to be to keep pressure on the pedal at all times even on the up-stroke. As mentioned keep your feet a little further forward than with clipless. I didn't become detached from them too many times in the first few rides, maybe half a dozen in total but they do hurt when you get clattered by them! :roll: The only time that happens now is when I spin the cranks backwards to get the pedal to my preferred start position and I don't get my foot in position soon enough.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Nukeproof electron/superstar el plastique would get my vote, super light, super grippy and wont conduct heat away like metal pedals will :-)
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ben98 wrote:Nukeproof electron/superstar el plastique would get my vote, super light, super grippy and wont conduct heat away like metal pedals will :-)
this. I have both
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Crank Brothers Mallets will give you the best of both worlds. Platform for when you need it...clips for when you want to go in that direction.

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

One thing to consider is for whatever pedals you get, is swapping out the standard pins for some longer ones. It'll give you a bit of extra bite for when the snow doesn't clear fully.

*double checks spelling*
SRS

Post by SRS »

VP Harrier review by mbr attached.
Attachments
Flats.JPG
(254.41 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for all the good suggestions (and accurate spelling ;) )

Several factors to consider among that lot.

Plastic - as highlighted won't conduct heat away from the shoe so readily. This might not be an issue, but it hadn't occurred to me.
Big Foots - I had looked at these, appealing in their chunky nature and look liek snow would not build up inside
Mallets - sadly my choice of boot isn't clipless compatible
VP's - They appeal for having the largest platform (and possibly tallest studs too), and for being thin. Thin is betterer, right?

The tips on foot placement is useful - ta.
Buuuut, and this is the witchcrafty bit I don't understand, what keeps your foot on the pedal over rough terrain?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'll be running El Plastiques in Rov. :-bd

As to why your feet grip....err they just kinda do? :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:Buuuut, and this is the witchcrafty bit I don't understand, what keeps your foot on the pedal over rough terrain?
You!

Look around and you'll see the mantra: "Heavy feet, light hands". Basically when it gets rough you should be stood up on the pedals, legs firm but not locked out, arms bent and just holding the bars tightly enough to keep control and not lose your grip. You absorb bumps firstly through your legs and arms then your suspension (if you have any that is). A bit different when sitting down and pedalling but the idea is the same: keep pressure on the pedals.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Buuuut, and this is the witchcrafty bit I don't understand, what keeps your foot on the pedal over rough terrain?
You do ... your weight keeps your feet planted. If you hit a bump or whatever your knees bend (slightly) which counteracts the force from the bump, which in theory is trying to lift your feet off the pedals.
SRS

Post by SRS »

I'm ceratinly no expert on riding flat pedals, but my understanding is that to get the best out of them you need to wear shoes with a soft and flat sole - as per the classic Five-Ten Freerider (that's the principle, obviously not a specific shoe recommendation for Rovaniemi!)
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Ian wrote: Buuuut, and this is the witchcrafty bit I don't understand, what keeps your foot on the pedal over rough terrain?

I've also been an SPD type but since I got the fat bike I've been on flats. It does feel surprisingly stable when going over the rough stuff. I don't think I'd ever put SPDs on the bike now but I do run them on the others.....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:You!

Look around and you'll see the mantra: "Heavy feet, light hands". Basically when it gets rough you should be stood up on the pedals, legs firm but not locked out, arms bent and just holding the bars tightly enough to keep control and not lose your grip. You absorb bumps firstly through your legs and arms then your suspension (if you have any that is). A bit different when sitting down and pedalling but the idea is the same: keep pressure on the pedals.
s8tannorm wrote:You do ... your weight keeps your feet planted. If you hit a bump or whatever your knees bend (slightly) which counteracts the force from the bump, which in theory is trying to lift your feet off the pedals.
Heavy feet, light hands, heavy feet, light hands, heavy feet, light hands.... Got it. I think :-S
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After descending at the side of you at weekend, I'll say you won't have any trouble ... you stand pretty upright with your weight centred and only a slight bend at the knee which will keep your weight through your feet*.

You can also swap leading feet which is quite unusual for the male of the species*. :wink:

*I wasn't stalking you, I just notice these things but generally keep any observations to myself.
Mike

Post by Mike »

[You can also swap leading feet which is quite unusual for the male of the species*. :wink: ]
Does this mean i have the female gene then Stu?? :-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Ian - I can lend you some DMR Vaults off my fat bike - they are in the tool drawer at home as I've been running SPDs for a bit. Let me know and I can drop them in the post before Christmas.... can't guarantee the colour match will work for you!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Ian

Post by Ian »

Mark, that would be ace, thanks :grin:
Have you still got our address?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

They're black Ian - hope that's not an affront on the Puffin.... pins can be short or long - they are all in short at present with a little blue Loctite... very low mileage!
PM your address - only have the PO Box address for Wildcat (or is that OK to use?)
I'm away with work at present but back next week and I'll get them wrapped and sent then.
Cheers, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
composite

Post by composite »

Ha! I was about to offer you a pair of DMR v12's to borrow. They are in white so would even match the frame. :smile:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Superstar Nano's are ok for the money, especially when they have offers on..

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... -flats.htm
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I use Ultra Mag from Superstar.
For some reasons I don't like some Superstar products, but those pedals have been running great.

Heavy feet, light hands - sure.
But don't forget to drop yer heel.
The tricky part is pedaling when going over rough ground. Even Ratboy struggled with that on some occasions when he still ran flats.
Welcome to the land of scars...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ordered some DMR V12s for my new bike (Solaris)

They've been redesigned so seemed like good value comparing the V8, V12 and Vault pedals. Vaults looked great but were twice the price
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Wotsits wrote:Superstar Nano's are ok for the money, especially when they have offers on..

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... -flats.htm
I use these and get on with them. Wouldn't mind some longer pins though so they grip my snowboots