Singular Rooster 29+ Kickstater

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Singular Rooster 29+ Kickstater

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

>£10k at the mo so I imagine he'll hit £15k target.
Wildgecko

Post by Wildgecko »

WTF, I'm in!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Goal appears to be reached so I guess its happening :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Well I'll be buggered.

(I'm in :cool: )
FLV

Post by FLV »

*Waits*
FLV

Post by FLV »

According to the last update, delivery scheduled for mid / late october...
I guess that means it should have been on a boat for a couple of weeks at least....

Anyone think we'll see them this month?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV wrote:According to the last update, delivery scheduled for mid / late october...
I guess that means it should have been on a boat for a couple of weeks at least....

Anyone think we'll see them this month?
Not a snowballs, IMO.

Has anyone who bought the rims Sam offered received theirs yet?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Not a snowballs, IMO.

Has anyone who bought the rims Sam offered received theirs yet?
Thats what I was thinking. I havnt backed a kickstarter before. I find the lack of information on timing frustrating. I know sometimes there's nothing to report but if I was running it I would be updating people very regularly, even if its to say nothing has changed.

I havnt ordered rims, so cant comment on that.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's a thread by Chris Trout (Troutie) on STW about the Puffin that gives a fair insight / overview into Kickstarter / Sam / Singular. Have a search.

IME/O of these sorts of things (I Haven't done that many but have followed a few, for what the internet chatter about them is worth) I think they're an exercise akin to throwing your money in a pot and eventually something that pretty much matches up to the original description will pop out of the process, eventually. For your sanity you have to treat it as a "sometime, something" experience. Any expectation of delivery to tight (or even vague) timescales and specifics is just a road to heartache :cool:

For instance look at the cock-up of placement of the FM cable stop on the buzzard.

I'm not down on Sam or Singular, I think it's just something about trying to herd cats (buyers) and then trying to finalise something and get it manufactured on another continent where the language / culture is entirely different (hence local factors are work their fees).

Not a Kickstarter thing but I remember buying an Alpine frame from Dialled Bikes and due to some variation in tube diameter on the seatpost you needed special special spacers to get any FM to fit.

Then you bung in exchange rates, taxes, the vagaries of shipping, importation and customs and it's all just a massive potential clusterfunk :wink:

I do try to be relaxed about these things though and am not (not trying to be a flash herbert) fussed about when something I've paid £400 for will be delivered.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A little update from Sam in an STW thread:
As explained in the text on the Kickstarter page it was never actually going to be July, that was a mistake when setting up the project. The original goal for delivery was September. Sadly that's now slipping and looking more likely to be November.

It's not on the site because I generally don't like to list things there until they are actually available, or I have a firm idea of when they will be. I have been thinking about starting a 'what's coming' section on the site, but haven't got to it yet.

Thanks for the interest.

Sam @SingularCycles
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -that-work

And there's lots of chuntering on about it here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rooster/page/4
FLV

Post by FLV »

Its still in the 'production run' apparently.

So, considering they'd be on a boat for 6-8 weeks I wouldn't expect anything in November!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just in from Sam:
Hi all,

I was hoping that about now I would be emailing you with details of shipping your Roosters to you. Sadly some major issues have come up in production which are taking some time to resolve. Fortunately they were identified before frames went to paint and I'm hoping can be quickly resolved. However it is not going to be until the new year that we see any frames here. I'm really sorry about this and can assure you it's proving extremely frustrating and difficult for me, as it is for you.

I will be sure to keep you up to date with any further news as I have it.

My apologies again.

Sam
I'm bored now

Anyone want a frame pledge (and chance of "throwing in" a 29+ rear wheel)?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I backed a new saddle on Indiegogo (like Kickstarter) 14 months ago now. Still no new saddle in the post. No refund being offered, and Indiegogo take no responsibilty, as they are only legally a 'venue' for people get investment. So I have now been burnt by the crowd-funding scammers, will never crowd fund again.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It always struck me as a little odd that an established company like Singular use Kickstarter. I can fully understand why they would, after all it's a very cheap (free) way of raising capital for a new project ... banks like answers to questions and obviously charge you money for using their money but I always thought Kickstarter was a platform for new ventures, not existing ones looking for cheap finance?
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Anyone want a frame pledge (and chance of "throwing in" a 29+ rear wheel)?
Mines been for sale for a while. I think it will sell easier when its actually here.

i wont ever use crowd funding again either.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm sure it'll turn up *eventually* and have no reason to think Sam's going to skip town. I suspect he used Kickstarter to get advance funding, avoiding bank and interest charges if he used a more traditional finance route. I can see why that'd appeal to a small business. Whether others agree with it or not .......... mleh :cool:

However, I'm just bored with waiting now. I could put £600 (frame pledge and rear wheel) to better use at the mo'. Heck, I'd like to try a Stooge.

I'm not seriously thinking of selling as I'd need a mug to buy it after all the delays. Exploiting such a person for my own purposes would be wrong :roll:
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I backed a new saddle on Indiegogo (like Kickstarter)
Mountainbaker - not a MORGAW by any chance? Still waiting myself, although I did get my seatpost which I ordered at the same time.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

FLV wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:i wont ever use crowd funding again either.
I backed a Modern Toss Book through Kickstarter. As that was a UK produced product that would "repackage" existing material I felt safe it would actually happen. Poor old Sam doesn't seem to have much luck with this pre-ordering business. Buzzards had gammy cable stops, Puffins came late and the Rooster is repeating the theme.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Modern Toss Book
I have no idea ... and I'm not sure I want to know. My mind is saying 'some new type of w*nk mag' but it can't be :grin:
Poor old Sam doesn't seem to have much luck with this pre-ordering business. Buzzards had gammy cable stops, Puffins came late and the Rooster is repeating the theme.....
I wonder whether as an established business, backers have slightly higher expectations than they might otherwise? However, I'm in no way saying that peoples expectations are unrealistic in this case.
May the bridges you burn light your way
SRS

Post by SRS »

In your chat with Steven Shand last year (http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... -mask.html), he didn't rule out the possibility at least of having some frames made overseas in the future. The lower costs are obviously attractive, but there are also risks that come with surrending control of the production process - as the aftorementioned SIngular issues highlight (and some of the orginal Ti Pegasus models too)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:
Modern Toss Book
I have no idea ... and I'm not sure I want to know. My mind is saying 'some new type of w*nk mag' but it can't be :grin:
You'd like their humour I think......

Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I wish I'd just bought a Swift - I'm sure the Rooster will be good when it eventually arrives but I'm also getting a bit bored with it now.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

u02sgb wrote:Mountainbaker - not a MORGAW by any chance? Still waiting myself, although I did get my seatpost which I ordered at the same time.
Yep. "Shipping soon" for 9 months now.
FLV

Post by FLV »

its been the false promises that's got my goat. Like saying they're delayed till November whilst admitting they're still in production mid October. I could go on for a while, but shouldnt.