How many miles have you ridden in a day?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lmorgan87

How many miles have you ridden in a day?

Post by Lmorgan87 »

Inspired by talk about the chap who is trying to beat the awe inspiring record set by Tommy Godwin for the most miles cycled in a year (75,065 in case you didn't know), whats the most miles you've cycled in a day?

Mine is a modest 110 at the Dartmoor classic event last summer.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
Dave Barter

Re: How many miles have you ridden in a day?

Post by Dave Barter »

248 home to Dunwich beach

Tommy's biggest day was 361 :shock:
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

110 road miles on a fully laden tourer.
90 lightweight bike packing miles in dry conditions.
composite

Post by composite »

132miles ish (BB200). I'm hoping to bump that to 156miles on Christmas Eve and ride to my girlfriends parents place for Christmas while she drives down. Will have to see how my knees feel though as I might have tweaked something AGAIN this week. :| :roll:
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

125 miles round trip to a meeting in Milton Keynes from Syston, Leicester. Road bike using Bikepacking bags for work clothing.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

132 'n a bit miles - Atlantic City to Rawlins, Wyoming on a loaded 29er. A beautiful ride across a big, empty space full of gravel and washboard. No wind...not too hot...passed by maybe 4 cars the whole day until the last 10 miles which was windy and full of traffic.

Greetz

S.
SlowRide

Post by SlowRide »

Scattamah wrote:132 'n a bit miles - Atlantic City to Rawlins, Wyoming on a loaded 29er. A beautiful ride across a big, empty space full of gravel and washboard. No wind...not too hot...passed by maybe 4 cars the whole day until the last 10 miles which was windy and full of traffic.

Greetz

S.
This was one of my longer rides as well, across the Great Divide Basin. Slept in the teepee at the Miners Grubstake in Atlantic City the night before. I had variable wind for my crossing, at some points favoring me and at some points blowing 40 mph against me(that last section before the hairpin left turn on to the pavement seemed to take days). It's a rare day it isn't blowing like hell on that basin. Like yourself, I was on a fully loaded 29er.

a couple other Tour Divide days:
134.7 miles / 7,536 feet of climbing - Montana High Country Lodge in Polaris, MT to Lima Reservoir, Lima, MT - Fully loaded 29er
132.5 miles / 10,649 feet of climbing - Steamboat Springs, CO to Silverthorne, CO - Fully loaded 29er
paul78

Post by paul78 »

In a day or non stop ?

Most of my biggest distances have been over the 24 hour mark but non stop riding (no sleep) ..

Arrowhead 135 - 135 miles on snow ... 32 hours, fully loaded.
Trans Iowa - 325 miles on gravel ... I think 28 hours, partially loaded :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

-195 with ChickenLegs on the south downs double, but that took 27 hours, so maybe doesn't count, but was basically non-stop.
-180 from home to London in 2013 sometime
-135 home to Falmouth (over dartmoor and bodmin, hilly as hell) in July, on a Friday, rode back again Sunday
-120 home to Cardiff on a Friday, back Sunday, flat as hell over somerset levels and the coast from Caldicot to Cardiff, booooring.

A guy I know just won the 24 Hour TT world champs. 493 miles (average speed > 20mph for 24 hrs!), and his record is 515 I think! mental.
ton

Post by ton »

185 miles on a 300k audax from Huddersfield to brid and back. was pretty tough. :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Within a 24 hour period, 177 miles at SITS 24hr solo years ago, to finish in third place. It was a mud-fest.

Longest ride: 200-odd miles on the Highland Trail last year, ridden over 41 hours but punctuated with 1.5 hours sleep.
Matt

Post by Matt »

235km so that 146 miles :-bd

on the Fietselfstedentocht :shock:

http://allthegear-noidea.blogspot.co.uk ... tocht.html

I'll be doing it again this year...

http://www.fietselfstedentocht.nl

. . . . . ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ (don't believe this, I've done at least another 10 miles which I didn't STRAVA!!)
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I think the furthest I have ridden in one day is 200k on road and about 130k off road.
Will try harder next year.........
Grubby little urchin.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Am now realising that I need to up my game a little as my longest ride is only a sniff over 100 miles (165 hilly km's on the road in Majorca this spring).

Off-road it's my BB200 attempt (156km) from this year.

Next year I need to see about making amends.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Mine is about was 103miles in the summer. This was fully loaded touring over the summer, from somewhere about 30 miles north-west on Dumfries to Glenridding in a day.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mine's 225.42 miles in 12 hours doing the National 12 Hour TT Champs. Beat my brother in law by 3 miles but pretty woeful compared to Andy Wilkinson who won with a then event record of 302 miles!!
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Less than most of those above, 200km audax with a ride from home to the start and home afterwards. 135 miles maybe.
My dad was more of a mileage man - still doing 12hr TTs into his 70s, and finishing at over 200 miles at that!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

On road, Day 3 of the LEL last year, I left Brampton at 4am and got to Barnard Castle around midnight, via Edinburgh. Approx 387km (240 miles), this after 545 km, with another 500 to go.

Off road its probably the BB200 this year, although I only managed about 130km in the first 24 hours.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Went for a "how many miles can I do in a day" ride last Easter on road but MTB burlycrosser, I rode to the Severn bridge and back from Northants. 284 pretty chilled miles for a coffee and cake ;-)
The old git in the yellow socks
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

138 miles in 23.5hrs on the BB200 2013.
120 miles in 13.5 hrs on-road around Dartmoor practicing for BB200 1014. (Still woefully unprepared for the full horror though)!

Si
jameso

Post by jameso »

This was one of my longer rides as well, across the Great Divide Basin.
Also my biggest day on the bike, 198 miles in total inc maybe 10 miles of wrong turn, from just past Boulder to a mile or two down the road leaving Rawlins. Counts for more being on dirt, right? (thinks of Paul E getting 300+ dirt miles in during one ride and feels less smug haha). Was happy to be on the way out of Rawlins before bivi-ing, didn't want to hang about for breakfast there the next morning and was gone after 3hrs kip.

Not cracked 200 miles plus in one sitting yet though, done 180-190+ a few times but either get bored when riding on on tarmac or to the point where sleep then and early start makes more sense, carrying on just to hit 200 has just seemed a bit odd/abstract at the time. Was hoping to get some longer audaxes done this year but one overnight 300km event was all I did, got a route for a 600km still waiting .. need to be motivated for that amount of time on UK roads and can see it never happening :grin:
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

184km single speed in 12 hours at Bristol Bike Fest 2012
I've got an idea I rode over 200km in 24 hours at Sleepless In The Saddle, but can't find a log of it now.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

On road, last year's Dunwich dynamo variant at 222km, 138 miles.

Off road, last year's bb200 at 205km. 128 miles.

Fancy doing a 300k audax next year so hopefully will break my pb.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Paul and Ian are worrying me now for the R150 :shock:

Longest rides have been 96ish and 93ish miles, never been bothered by a century :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

200 miles on the Pennine Bridleway double last year. But my gps crashed at 180 miles so I lost the whole log. That was off road (mostly) and took 26 hours. I'll have another go one day to do the same under 24 hours.

Did the a Ridgeway double at 175 miles a few months ago in 15 hours,

As with most big things it's all in the head.....