Long Mynd - 22/23 Nov

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

Long Mynd - 22/23 Nov

Post by Scattamah »

After meandering around the back lanes out of Shrewsbury...
greatEscapeFromTown.jpg
Escape from Town
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 1891 times
...had a good climb up from Picklescott to Pole Bank in the dark.
summitingPoleBank.jpg
Climbing the Mynd ain't nothin' without summitting
(62.21 KiB) Downloaded 1891 times
Crossed the top of the Mynd to the southern end and into the forest. Found a nice pitch in the dark, but alas my pitching skills have gotten rusty with a couple of months off.
goodSpotBadPitch.jpg
Good spot - Bad pitch
(161.24 KiB) Downloaded 1891 times
A chilly descent this morning down #9 into Little Stretton and then a push to get home and defrost. All in all, glad I got out. Cheers to Composite for getting me gee'd up for it.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Re: Long Mynd - 22/23 Nov

Post by Mike »

nice one i was gonna drive over but the weather didnt inspire me :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I heard the weather in your area was pretty bad...in a strange twist, the skies didn't open at all in west Salop until 2am...stopped around 3 or 4am...and dry all the way back home Sunday morning. The Mynd is pretty muddy though...plenty of standing water around.

Greetz

S.
composite

Post by composite »

I was riding for about an hour and got absolutely soaked... to the skin, I didn't have a dry thing on. The rain went from heavy to heavier during that hour. I got the chills and just couldn't warm up again, even going up hill I just about got to normal then on the flat would get the chills again. I stopped at the Licky Hills visitors centre to try to warm up. Thought I had warmed up then walked outside and instantly I was freezing my ass off again. Decided that another 5 hours of that to get to where I was meant to be meeting Scattamah and then to sleep with the slugs wasn't really what I was up for.

Typically not far from home the rain stopped and the sun came out... :|

Glad to see you still got out there.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Heh...wasn't a slug in sight...unless you're counting me! : )

It's all good...5 hours of wet isn't fun at the best of times. Perhaps another time eh?

Greetz

S.
composite

Post by composite »

It was strange actually I'm normally OK riding in any weather. Was out Tuesday night in 4degrees and rain and was fine.

Might be doing something on 20th/21st bothy related in Wales if you are interested, I could pick you up on the way over.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Sure...that sounds pretty good. Mrs Scattamah is overseas this xmas and I'm on call xmas day...so I'd consider something like that a gift not to be sneezed at.

As to the whole rain thing...sometimes it's just too much for even the nicest of jackets and you're going to get wet. Now...if I could get a jacket with a cuban core and pertex shield + on the arms, that'd be a winner and would keep out the nastiest of weather.

Greetz

S.