World Cycle Race

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

royAB

Re: World Cycle Race

Post by royAB »

Mmmm, and also missing the 'Stans'.

Seems this 'Round the world' bit is more about doing the distance than putting your tyres on as much of the earth as possible. Is it just me, or does something seem a bit 'missing' in that case.. not quite the pith helmet adventure that the name conjures up?

(Probably, as always, just me)

Still following avidly though.. Mike is blasting along indeed
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

royAB wrote:Seems this 'Round the world' bit is more about doing the distance than putting your tyres on as much of the earth as possible. Is it just me, or does something seem a bit 'missing' in that case.. not quite the pith helmet adventure that the name conjures up?
A thought shared by Mark Beaumont when people started to 'beat' his time by choosing their route more cynically / carefully.

The point is in this instance it's a race. Play by the rules, win the prize. Want to go touring instead?
royAB

Post by royAB »

True..

..and I'm definitely one of life's 'tourers'
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Mike's original plan was to go to Iran, recent diplomatic issues squashed that one and so he is now flying from Ankara to Cochin and doing extra in USA I think.

I have been reading Alastair Humphreys rtw book and he set off from Yorkshire 2 weeks before 9/11! he was supposed to be going through Iran etc and quickly turned left for safer places like Syria, Sudan, Zimbabwe and South Africa.

I would say RoyAB is correct in his assessment.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Really jealous now, Mike having lunch in Carcassonne, a superb place. Big lumps of foothills of Mountains for a while today then. Looks like hes way ahead already. Sean on his way to flight to go to South America.
Someone tweeted a warning earlier that a guy in India had been jailed for carrying a spot tracker without permission???? What kind of offence is that if true?
The old git in the yellow socks
Ian

Post by Ian »

Trackleaders is now showing Mike's progress against his planned route (incl the USA leg), and a record of the effective distance his spot has travelled between track points: http://trackleaders.com/worldcycleracei ... =Mike_Hall

Mike's done over 700 miles since Sunday and currently has a lead of 169km over Martin Walker :shock:
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Racers reporting various problems and scrapes, Mike Hall is not immune either. Seems he had to backtrack to find a way out of Albania and is struggling to find Tarmac so doing tough miles that don't count and has snapped a rear mech mount. Albania sounds scary too.
3000 km though, mental.
One guy reported having 17 punctures in 1 day and then had to run quite a way to Madrid :roll:
The old git in the yellow socks
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Martin has lost his non-drive crank arm now! At least in the USA he should be able to et it sorted easily enough.

Mike seems to be going well again.