Getting away from traffic !... and green lanes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Getting away from traffic !... and green lanes

Post by ericrobo »

Yep, we need vehicles for sure, to get us to the great places we love to ride our bikes and walk in...
But we don't want traffic in these lovely areas, on the green lanes and tracks... (excluding farmers and people with legitimate access).... ?
(I place a question mark because "there's nowt as queer as folk !" - so there just might be some 'queer folk' who want access... discuss !

Next Tuesday The Deregulation Bill will be discussed in the House of Lords (28th October)

I've ridden a lot in the Yorkshire Dales - I can tell you tales of 4x4's being axle deep along Mastiles Lane... it's now traffic free, thanks to the Yorkshire Dales Green Lanes Alliance.
I decided to join a few years ago (£10 a year).

Received this letter just a couple of days ago, urging members to write to House of Lords
http://ericrobo.wordpress.com/2014/10/2 ... tion-bill/

Done my bit for us and the future generation, sending 11 letters
psling

Re: Getting away from traffic !... and green lanes

Post by psling »

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, opinions and points of view.

I imagine that when you refer to "we" and "us" you really mean "I" and "me"? Or have you assumed some sort of responsibility to represent everyone's beliefs, opinions and points of views?

For what it's worth, I'm not entirely of the same opinion as you and have no problem with responsible motorised use of byways and unsurfaced county roads; indeed, I am glad of their historic use in providing routes for my enjoyment by bicycle.

Irresponsible motorised users should be dealt with under the law but not at the expense of responsible users.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

^^^ I agree, responsible countryside users should stick together to maintain their rights not fight amongst themselves and point the finger. As for having thousands of miles of roads to drive on the same could be said of cyclists, the point is they want to drive "off road" as we want to cycle "off road".
paramart

Post by paramart »

agree with psling, :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Isn't there only a tiny percentage of the old roads/lanes now available for motorised access? Seems there's plenty of ways of not choosing those routes if the noise of the occasional vehicle troubles you.

FWIW, we've just had Exercise Joint Warrior taking place round the Scottish Highlands and there have been fast jets everywhere!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I like point one (paraphrased) it seems to suggest that doing something you are legally entitled to should somehow engender a fear of prosecution. :???:

Most worrying for me is the idea that after 2026 the definitive map becomes fixed. FAR greater risk of losing access compared to 3000 miles that might get churned up. Besides, just look on STW at the way Rushup Edge has been 'preserved'. Glad I've ridden it before the improvements!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Ban them!

Then ban push bikes!

In fact get the public off my land completely...

Read between the lines of this bill :roll:

The bill also says Land owners and tenants can erect styles on bridleways!

If you don't want to see vehicles stay away from Byways available to them, there are so few it's not hard. Bit small minded to support a ban just because you don't like them
Matt

Post by Matt »

In fact I'm cross about this

In your letter you highlight there are 3000 miles of unpaved roads

A quick googles shows there are 140,000 miles of footpath, so that's about about 2% :roll:

Just smacks of I don't do it, I don't like it, get rid of it, it's not about protecting the countryside that's just a thin veil to hide behind. It's about preventing access and that is something I cannot support.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Did a lot of greenlaning when I was in Wales. Responsible drivers would avoid boggy areas, tracks in poor condition etc in order to ensure they didn't make things any worse. Also limits on the number of vehicles in a group to minimise disruption to other trail users. As with anything, it's the numpties that give everyone else a bad name. And ban the 4x4s, and it'll just be a matter of time before bikes are in the crosshairs, leaving the ramblers and horsie types to battle it out
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Another non supporter. If you added all the damage done by bikes and 4x4 at tbe current levels of usage, I fear bikes would come off worse.

If you've seen a 4x4 axle deep in mud you shouldn't have been riding there either.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Virtual reality off roading thats the answer !!!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
gasyz

Post by gasyz »

I think the key to this is more access for motorised vehicles, there would then be less damage to the small percentage of green lanes available to them.I rode for 4+ hours last night (MTB) without seeing another soul.I was mainly on rarely used overgrown bridleways which could easily accomidate vehicles.I used to do a lot of trail riding and always respected other users.There is a small minority who don't give a sh-t and closing legal greenlanes won't make any difference to them anyway,they will still go around spinning up the countryside no matter what.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Chicken Legs wrote:Virtual reality off roading thats the answer !!!
If only we could persuade 99% of the population to live their lives virtually, then we'd have more wilderness. Oh wait... :o
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just caught up with this. Thought I was on STW briefly...

There is an issue that 4x4's leave an impression on the land in just the same way tyres and feet do. It's just that it happens sooner with vehicles.

No denying that erosion is an issue anywhere, just look at the walking paths in the lakes or the absence of vegetation on Pen y fan, when 50 years ago it was grass. Given enough time and repeated pressure, vegetation ceases to grow and the underlying soil reduced to dust etc.

Various byways round here are now closed and the erosion repaired. Slowly the vegetation is beginning to colonise and it all looks ok. Even in perfect conditions with considerate off roaders, this would not be achievable.

What narks me the most is off roaders blatantly using - and abusing - routes they are not entitled to use. If they just stayed on routes to which they were legally entitled, I wouldn't have a problem.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Same here, there's lots of 'unmetalled roads' around here, and lots of motorbikes and 4x4s use them. Some are ok, some are eroded to hell, especially Hell Lane in Dorset. But they do have a right to use it. A while ago, I caught a load of teenagers on MX bikes using a bridleway, I told them to get off it, then I was subjected to a torrent of abuse, and sprayed with mud and stones by three of them as they sped away. They were kids though, and kids are dicks (mostly to each other, but still). I was pretty annoyed, but I haven't seen them up in those woods since.

As for letting the 'law' deal with it, nice idea, but who? Call the cops, they won't care, or have resources. Who else?
Ian

Post by Ian »

When a number of byways around here were downgraded to "restricted byways", it was policed successfully by the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ray Young wrote:responsible countryside users should stick together to maintain their rights not fight amongst themselves and point the finger
This works more for me too, although I'd like to have those places to myself :roll:
Ian wrote:Given enough time and repeated pressure, vegetation ceases to grow and the underlying soil reduced to dust etc.
On the other side, given enough time, canalised activity, some help by flewn in seeds etc. eroded peats will turn green again. I was positively shocked to see what Bleaklow looks like. It's green now and was so utterly bleak on my last visit about 10 years ago :shock: