Sturmey Archer s2?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Sturmey Archer s2?

Post by restlessshawn »

Hi Stu, Saw this in the newsletter, have you some pics of the bike you've fitted it to?

I thought I was the only person to think a 2 speed kickshift was a cool idea, most people just look at me odd. I have one on my sunday best 1966 Mercian running 43x22 (water bottle holder now replaced with one on the frame that doesn't eject the bottle randomly!)

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sturmey Archer s2?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll sort a pic out tomorrow Shawn. I've fitted it to my Haro Mary for the moment ... makes perfect sense so far :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Does the k8ck back replace back pedalling?

Or is it a specific kick action?

Quite like the idea as a second wheel set for my charge duster for covering tarmac distance to the pentlands.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

It's just a very subtle back pedal . back pedal too much and you'll end up in the gear you started in :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I too read Stuart's review with great interest.

Seems like a perfect compromise between SS and geared for crappy conditions and steep hills.

Not the lightest solution in the world but I suppose once the lack of mechs, shifters and cassette, chainrings etc... is taken into consideration it's a net weight saving.

Would like to KNOW it'll work well and properly before I committed to buying one.

How's it going Stu?
Gari

Post by Gari »

I too have been waiting for a review of this hub as I fancy swapping my SS hub on the front/spare wheel on the Pugs. Maybe even a matching pair with different gearing if they work out ok.
So, how's it going stu? :grin:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Having used a coaster break off road for hoots, not being able to back pedal for foot placement added to never being quite sure what gear I'll end up in... I'll pass.

I do have a dawes kingpin though...
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I'm seriously interested in this, as the only thing I don't like about my ss is long flat sections, I can deal with pushing up hills and coasting down but having to spin my legs like the road runner just to break 12mph is infuriating beyond belief ~X(
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I have a sturmey srf3 on my ' road ' bike. Use it for commuting and just going riding. Did Dunwich dynamo last year on it.

Tonight I decided that it may be time to check the condition of the innards. It's been in my big r for four years and probably done 6-7000 miles.

Apart from being a bit dry of grease in places it was all good. Most impressed. Really like sa stuff. Mine has a really nice bar end shifter. And finish is excellent.

That duomatic hub looks really interesting. Shame their stuff is so hard to get hold of in this country.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So, how's it going stu?
Early days but I'll try and report back asap.
I do have a dawes kingpin though...
A real one, not the new one?
Shame their stuff is so hard to get hold of in this country.
I don't think it is generally. Most of their products can be got pretty easily, these are a problem though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

my sunday best 1966 Mercian
Beautiful .. : )

The SRAM 2s Automatix is an interesting hub too, maybe less so for a road bike but a great system for a town bike. A really nice auto-shift mechanism if set properly for the bike it's fitted to.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The SRAM 2s Automatix is an interesting hub too, maybe less so for a road bike but a great system for a town bike. A really nice auto-shift mechanism if set properly for the bike it's fitted to.
I've looked at these before when I was building my shopper ... I like the concept and with a little internal fiddling the shift point can be changed to suit your bike / requirements. They do a disc version but I recall it was OE only?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not sure about oe only, I'd imagine they're not readily available though. Most of them seem to be coaster brake.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

A real kingpin yes, had it for ages, to replace a Raleigh 20 I gave to a girl :-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I would have thought that after stu's forthcoming 'double' on this years bearbones 220 route on the mutant shopper he'd be in a good position to give feedback.

48 non stop hours on the bike will provide unequalled insight into the hubs performance. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would have thought that after stu's forthcoming 'double' on this years bearbones 220 route on the mutant shopper he'd be in a good position to give feedback.
Ah sorry, 'tis fitted to this, not the shopper :wink:

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

That type of thing usually only exists in my head, love it!
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I like that. :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:
Ah sorry, 'tis fitted to this, not the shopper :wink:

It may have to go to a vote but I'd let you ride that instead of the shopper when you ride the double ;)