Cycling capes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Cycling capes?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While riding through a rather heavy downpour I got the thinking about waterproofs, as you do. After a while I came up with a 'design' that seemed to overcome some of the inherent problems with normal waterproofs ... in reality what the gears in my head dreamt up was pretty much a cycling cape :shock: I know they rate somewhere around -5 on the 'cool stakes' and they may suffer with blowing about and flapping around but I'm sure something could be worked out with a little thought.

So, has anyone ever actualy tried riding in some kind of cape / poncho?
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Re: Cycling capes?

Post by composite »

I have one and have used it for commuting. It has 2 loops underneath that you put your arms through so it keeps it from blowing around at the front. It actually works fairly well. Comes up short at the the back if you try to wear it over a backpack.

Some sort of chest strap might be nice to keep the back under control a bit... maybe.

EDIT:
It's fine on the road but I think off road where you might need to be a bit more agile then it could be a bit unwieldy. I'll bring mine along on the weekend.
Last edited by composite on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I've used one before, they do require the use of mudguards and or the avoidance of dog eggs!
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

How about modifying a army surplus one? No idea how but it could be an interesting experiment.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I found this brilliant cape in the states made by six moon designs, it doubled up as tarp tent and I think it was made from cuben. Hence I never bought it as it cost shed loads but I really liked the idea!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I took a decathlon poncho hiking in Mallorca this spring to use as a poncho and tarp in case of rain. Was lucky enough to not need it but it was light enough to not regret carrying it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found this brilliant cape in the states made by six moon designs, it doubled up as tarp tent and I think it was made from cuben. Hence I never bought it as it cost shed loads but I really liked the idea!
That'll be a Gatewood cape, very nice design. I didn't realise they'd started producing them in cuben ... about $150 in Silnylon I recall.
How about modifying a army surplus one?
I reckon this is on the cards now I've learnt to use a sewing machine :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

I can fall off from snagging baggy shorts on the sticky out bits of my bike, never mind a cape.... Sounds lethal.... Count me in :-)
Ian

Post by Ian »

No Capes!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Far too low-tech to catch on. Built-in air con and electronic humidity-profile modification is the future. :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Edna says:

and she's right :wink:
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote:
That'll be a Gatewood cape, very nice design. I didn't realise they'd started producing them in cuben ... about $150 in Silnylon I recall.
How about modifying a army surplus one?
I reckon this is on the cards now I've learnt to use a sewing machine :-bd
You'll regret it! :smile:
Not all changes are fashion led some things disappear because they aren't as good as what follows: Ordinaries, capes, blankets, camping quilts :grin:
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Capes are better than anyother waterproof top arrangement purely in term of keeping you and your stuff dry. They shed water away from you rather than on to your legs. They remain breathable when n wetted out. The prevent any backpacks etc from getting soaked and don't require unkitting to get waterproofed up. You can sit down on a dry surface and stay sheltered.

Totaly fashion led.

Theyre a bit of a cerfuffle on a bicycle though
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Joshvegas wrote:Capes are better than anyother waterproof top arrangement purely in term of keeping you and your stuff dry. They shed water away from you rather than on to your legs. They remain breathable when n wetted out. The prevent any backpacks etc from getting soaked and don't require unkitting to get waterproofed up. You can sit down on a dry surface and stay sheltered
When it rains heavily I don rain pants to keep dry legs. Unkitting? Any rain gear shouldn't by packed in the deepest abyss of a bag, especially not in the UK.
Some membranes are breathable when completely wet on the outside, eVent for example.
Actually they work better if wet on the outside and even more so with a bit of wind, as this facilitates evaporation on the outside of the fabric and thus the sweat gets transferred through the membrane more easily.
On a bike you'll soon get out of the saddle, be it because of a climb or a technical descent. Just imagine that with a cape :lol:
How about getting drenched arms and arm pits riding agains strong winds. Beeing made of SilNylon or Cuben you upper body will get damp from sweating just with any cheap rain jacket.

Weight wise, well my rain gear, top and trousers weighs in at 290 g.

Even when hiking in the mountains they are rather rubbish and dangerous. I've witnessed friends hiking in the lakes with a cape, he got thrown about by the wind. Then a couple in capes on a steep col in the Mercantour. She had to take the cape off because the terrain was slightly technical and she was very uncomfy in that garment

If one sticks to the low land gravel and road it may be a different story.
If one hikes the Appalachian trail it will make sense.

Best place far a cape on a bicycle: in town...
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I have a lovely fluorescent Carradice cape. :cool: IMHO a cape is fine for riding when your position is fairly static but I wouldn't want to wear one off road riding. Up and down off the saddle, weight shifting, tree snagging etc would all be a PITA.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Me & a mate tried one once paired with some swimming goggles when we got caught in a monsoon whilst riding mopeds in Thailand...
Let's just say it didn't keep us dry but did produce some interesting photies :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!